Jurss

42083 - Bugatti Chiron

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, AVCampos said:

Actually, it's the opposite: when spinning the wheels the pistons should move slower and easier in higher gears; what you said is true when powering the engine and watching the wheels. :wink:

Hmmmm didn't think of it that way, but you are right :thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Jim said:

Hi. Welcome to EB!

What you basically want to check is the gearbox. Simply move the wheels and look at the pistons, and feel the resistance of the wheels. When you gear up the pistons should move faster and there should be more resistance. Continue this process for all gears. That's what I did, and it worked perfectly.

Thanks for the response! Actually, when I move the wheels the pistons are not moving at all. When I flip the car upside down and turn the rear wheels, I can see the red/yellow crankshaft in the center turning but the 3 red gears are not moving.  What do I need to do to fix this?

Edited by labevr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, labevr said:

Thanks for the response! Actually, when I move the wheels the pistons are not moving at all. When I turn the car over and turn the rear wheels, I can see the red/yellow crankshaft in the center turning but the 3 red gears are not moving.  What do I need to do to fix this?

That is quite hard to tell, from just your description. For me at least. Maybe other members can tell you from the top of their head.

I recommend looking closely at the gears (following the drivetrain) and checking where the movement ends.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, labevr said:

Thanks for the response! Actually, when I move the wheels the pistons are not moving at all. When I flip the car upside down and turn the rear wheels, I can see the red/yellow crankshaft in the center turning but the 3 red gears are not moving.  What do I need to do to fix this?

Also be prepared to spin the wheels for a long time. According to several people that have built the set ( I do not have it yet myself), it takes the car up to 70cm of driving before the pistons start moving after a gearshift. That is a lot of spins for those small wheels...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rudivdk said:

Also be prepared to spin the wheels for a long time. According to several people that have built the set ( I do not have it yet myself), it takes the car up to 70cm of driving before the pistons start moving after a gearshift. That is a lot of spins for those small wheels...

While this is absolutely true (as you can read in my review), I didn't see this when I tested the gearbox.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jim said:

While this is absolutely true (as you can read in my review), I didn't see this when I tested the gearbox.

Like I said, I haven't built it yet. But @labevr mentioned moving the wheels to test the gearbox, so I immediately thought of this...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rudivdk said:

Like I said, I haven't built it yet. But @labevr mentioned moving the wheels to test the gearbox, so I immediately thought of this...

It was is a valid comment :sweet: :thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jim said:

It was is a valid comment :sweet: :thumbup:

:thumbup: I don't want to prove myself being right or anything, was just explaining why I posted this...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Rudivdk said:

:thumbup: I don't want to prove myself being right or anything, was just explaining why I posted this...

Yup, and I agreed with you :laugh:

Never mind hehe. Move along, nothing to see here :tongue:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@labevr: Also make sure that the forward, backwards selector is actually engaged in the center of the transmission tunnel. To the front for the gearbox and towards the back of the car for the single reverse gear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Musikfreak said:

@labevr: Also make sure that the forward, backwards selector is actually engaged in the center of the transmission tunnel. To the front for the gearbox and towards the back of the car for the single reverse gear.

Doh....yes, of course! This can be the issue. Totally forgot about that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Musikfreak said:

@labevr: Also make sure that the forward, backwards selector is actually engaged in the center of the transmission tunnel. To the front for the gearbox and towards the back of the car for the single reverse gear.

No matter what position the selector is in the pistons still don't move when any of the wheels are turned. Sigh. It seems there is no connection whatsoever between the wheels and the engine. Does anyone know what step in the building instructions book where they are connected? Trying to figure out where I need to backtrack to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, labevr said:

No matter what position the selector is in the pistons still don't move when any of the wheels are turned. Sigh. It seems there is no connection whatsoever between the wheels and the engine. Does anyone know what step in the building instructions book where they are connected? Trying to figure out where I need to backtrack to. 

When you turn the wheels you have to either block one wheel and turn the other or turn both wheels in the same direction. Did you do that? If you only turn one wheel you'll see the other wheel turning in the other direction and no gears will rotate (except for the 12T gears in the differential).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2018 at 10:48 PM, Jeroen Ottens said:

When you turn the wheels you have to either block one wheel and turn the other or turn both wheels in the same direction. Did you do that? If you only turn one wheel you'll see the other wheel turning in the other direction and no gears will rotate (except for the 12T gears in the differential).

Thanks for your suggestion! I put on the wheels and tires and was able to roll it on the ground and verify the pistons are moving, so I think it is working as intended. Whew! I was worried I was going to have to backtrack quite a bit. Thanks all for your help. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More a question for the UK guys I have just noticed that John Lewis on there site has the Chiron listed as an exclusive, do we know if this will be just a timed exclusive? If not I fear the price will not be going down anytime soon :cry2:

(Also anyone having problems posting with Firefox have reset the cache and still can't reply to threads had o use chrome instead.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve just checked the John Lewis site and then Argos. It doesn’t appear on the Argos site so I’m guessing that’s what John Lewis means by exclusive. It’s buy it from Lego or JL, but I may be wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

45 minutes ago, Cardboy said:

a question for the UK guys

Now you mention UK guys, anyone building a right-hand drive version of the Chiron? It would be a challenge to mirror systems but your Chiron would properly stand out..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Seasider said:

I’ve just checked the John Lewis site and then Argos. It doesn’t appear on the Argos site so I’m guessing that’s what John Lewis means by exclusive. It’s buy it from Lego or JL, but I may be wrong.

Thant's not quite what I meant.  Will it be a limited exclusive for a few months then all retailers will get stock and proper price competition or a full exclusive that no other retailer will ever get stock and essentially price fixing?

 

1 hour ago, 896gerard said:

 

Now you mention UK guys, anyone building a right-hand drive version of the Chiron? It would be a challenge to mirror systems but your Chiron would properly stand out..

As soon as I build it first job is to make it right hand drive done it to every Lego car i have ever had from the 8865 to 42056 :tongue:

Edited by Cardboy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But the Chiron doesn’t come in RHD it’s only available in LHD.

Edited by Seasider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Time to give it the Lionel Blair treatment (yes i'm showing my age)

 

Edited by Cardboy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Seasider said:

But the Chiron doesn’t come in RHD it’s only available in LHD.

Yes, that's why an RHD version would be special. Mirroring the building instructions in your head is quite difficult but some people like it and do it. 

 

 

4 hours ago, Cardboy said:

As soon as I build it first job is to make it right hand drive done it to every Lego car i have ever had from the 8865 to 42056 :tongue:

I'd love to see the result!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Cardboy said:

More a question for the UK guys I have just noticed that John Lewis on there site has the Chiron listed as an exclusive, do we know if this will be just a timed exclusive? If not I fear the price will not be going down anytime soon :cry2:

(Also anyone having problems posting with Firefox have reset the cache and still can't reply to threads had o use chrome instead.)

I think it'll be like the Porsche. 

I've already seen 2 second hand Chirons here in Denmark. One was build, cost around 2/3 of retail price and one in sealed box for 3/4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mortenm said:

I think it'll be like the Porsche. 

I've already seen 2 second hand Chirons here in Denmark. One was build, cost around 2/3 of retail price and one in sealed box for 3/4.

Yes, plenty here too. At least 20 on ebay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello to everyone, i'm building my chiron.

I would like to test the gears before to complete the entire installation.

How does the gearbox works? can someone explain it to me?

In the car there is the gear selector and the lever for the drive/neutral/rear mode. is it correct?

What should change between these modes?

For example,

-if I push forward the car when the "reverse gear" is engaged, what should happen?

-how I know what is the gear engaged?

-if the last gear engaged, what happen i if upshifting again?

-could i insert the reverse gear if I am for example in 4th gear?

 

 

Thanks

 

Edited by Enry86cami

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, If you gonna push your chiron forward, while on reverse gear, only thing that will happen is that the crankshaft will rotate in opposite way, that's it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.