Jurss

42083 - Bugatti Chiron

Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, J_C said:

also it has 4 wheels, just like your corolla. basically you own almost chiron.

Got something for you!

88656c0a92ca9edb9c5c15a6f86e636c.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very exciting news. On first view I am wondering why the A-frame house style engine looks so strange. Almost too large for the scale(or at least sitting up too high) judging where the wheels will be. Obviously once everything is covered up with panels, this may not even be noticeable. On to the wheels: If there is indeed a 6 hole spacer part that connects the wheel to the hub that represents a rotor, then this would add an extra stud length to the pivot point in the steering right? So the offset in the wheel would be less practical. Let's hope for a new hub. But the video is suggesting otherwise seeing the regular hubs in the rear.

Edited by Meatman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

 

This set will probably bring us the wheel arch piece in black ! 

Or worse, in dark blue...

 

Or both, considering most Veyrons/Chirons are two-tone!

Edited by JTS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although there have been some comments, given the back-lash regarding pricing of the Porsche, I am surprised TLG decided to do even a bigger, more expensive model than 42056 and the lack of comments thus far regarding it. 

I agree with @Didumos69- I think the real news here will be to see what, if anything, TLG group learned from the Porsche.  Given that they are going bigger with higher price, perhaps not much. 

 

But.... As i decide the future of 42083 at least as far as my checkbook is concerned, I recognize the difference of 42083 meeting my needs and expectations versus  those that TLG is vying for.  I recommend others do the same as they try and judge the model and its value.  History has shown that what the general public buys and likes is likely very much different than what we AFOLs want or desire. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Meatman said:

*snip* On first view I am wondering why the A-frame house style engine looks so strange.

*snip* So the offset in the wheel would be less practical. Let's hope for a new hub. But the video is suggesting otherwise seeing the regular hubs in the rear.

I only said that because the beams hang down so low from the sides. An engine like this one by @Leviathan would be much better.

29343122013_95cd2b0d61_b.jpg

 

Porsche had new hubs in the front, and the regular hubs in the rear, so we can hope. (probably in vain)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, nerdsforprez said:

Although there have been some comments, given the back-lash regarding pricing of the Porsche, I am surprised TLG decided to do even a bigger, more expensive model than 42056 and the lack of comments thus far regarding it. 

I agree with @Didumos69- I think the real news here will be to see what, if anything, TLG group learned from the Porsche.  Given that they are going bigger with higher price, perhaps not much. 

 

But.... As i decide the future of 42083 at least as far as my checkbook is concerned, I recognize the difference of 42083 meeting my needs and expectations versus  those that TLG is vying for.  I recommend others do the same as they try and judge the model and its value.  History has shown that what the general public buys and likes is likely very much different than what we AFOLs want or desire. 

 

 

Unfortunately we are the minority - technically minded with high expectations.

I'm guessing despite all its flaws, the Porsche was a phenomenal commercial success. There was a huge social media campaign full of people we ourselves wouldn't include as part of the "community" commenting how much they wanted one based just off the promo images/video. I my self know a handful of people who own the Porsche despite not owning a set for 20+ years. That's Lego's target market, and they're the people who have it sitting on display gathering dust.

With that in mind, we can see what went right for the Porsche and what we can expect to make a return with the Bugatti: premium packaging, coffee table book, focus on build-ability an aesthetics rather than playability post-construction. My guess is this means a bright colour and many, many panels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JTS said:

Unfortunately we are the minority - technically minded with high expectations.

I'm guessing despite all its flaws, the Porsche was a phenomenal commercial success. There was a huge social media campaign full of people we ourselves wouldn't include as part of the "community" commenting how much they wanted one based just off the promo images/video. I my self know a handful of people who own the Porsche despite not owning a set for 20+ years. That's Lego's target market, and they're the people who have it sitting on display gathering dust.

With that in mind, we can see what went right for the Porsche and what we can expect to make a return with the Bugatti: premium packaging, coffee table book, focus on build-ability an aesthetics rather than playability post-construction. My guess is this means a bright colour and many, many panels.

I think this is all so very well put.  We will now, and notice I am saying "we" here, engage in many dozens of pages of speculation and complaints, theories, and the like trying to shape TLG's target population for this model as us as main stage performers.  Truth of the matter is, we are not.   You are part of the few that get this.  Few will, but will continue to lament and bicker.  But the truth; recognition that AFOLs are not the primary target group, will help all the disappointment go down much more easily.  I have very little interest in the set itself; only the (hopefully) new elements it may provide. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is an attempt at making the W16 with the current cylinder blocks, It still isn't 100% structurally sound, though just a proof of concept that it is possible to make it smaller than what is currently portrayed in their marketing for it. A true W16 with one crank shaft isn't possible with current lego parts, so I think It would require 4 or 2 seperate crank shafts. I think from the current layout from TLG, it uses 3 crank shafts. 

W16.png

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

@Tommy Styrvoky In the video the top row still employs the traditional trapezoidal brick for V-shaped engines, and the bottom row employs what seem to be two 24z gears.

I am suggesting a better solution to that from the video, the one from the video is too tall, however it can be made smaller. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

I think this is all so very well put.  We will now, and notice I am saying "we" here, engage in many dozens of pages of speculation and complaints, theories, and the like trying to shape TLG's target population for this model as us as main stage performers.  Truth of the matter is, we are not.   You are part of the few that get this.  Few will, but will continue to lament and bicker.  But the truth; recognition that AFOLs are not the primary target group, will help all the disappointment go down much more easily.  I have very little interest in the set itself; only the (hopefully) new elements it may provide. 

 

 

I maintain this set is targeted for AFOLs more than any other set. Because of the price and piece count it is meant to be more than just some toy for kids to push around in the dirt. 

I am also sure that no matter how good it is, it will have faults. That wouldn't stop me from buying it though, if I cared to. I certainly don't feel pressured to buy it, or complain endlessly about it's shortcomings. I'm sure others feel this way about it as well. 

I do look forward to actually seeing the final product. Sounds like a great set to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

Although there have been some comments, given the back-lash regarding pricing of the Porsche, I am surprised TLG decided to do even a bigger, more expensive model than 42056 and the lack of comments thus far regarding it. 

I agree with @Didumos69- I think the real news here will be to see what, if anything, TLG group learned from the Porsche.  Given that they are going bigger with higher price, perhaps not much. 

But.... As i decide the future of 42083 at least as far as my checkbook is concerned, I recognize the difference of 42083 meeting my needs and expectations versus  those that TLG is vying for.  I recommend others do the same as they try and judge the model and its value.  History has shown that what the general public buys and likes is likely very much different than what we AFOLs want or desire. 

I don't think the price will be an issue. We are quite critical when it comes to sets like these, and we were somewhat disappointed with the Porsche. But the majority of the buyers (customers) think the Porsche is THE best Technic set ever. Or at least one of the best.

More or less the same with the Falcon. Loads of people complaining about the price, but the queues were bigger than we have seen at Apple stores. Point being; the set will sell, regardless of it being more expensive than the Porsche.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the simple formula for TLG is:

1. Get a license from an iconic car
2. Create a faithful replica of appearance and a not-so-faithful replica of technical details.
3. Profit !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

So the simple formula for TLG is:

1. Get a license from an iconic car
2. Create a faithful replica of appearance and a not-so-faithful replica of technical details.
3. Profit !

This pretty much sums it up. At least, that is what they did with the Porsche. Maybe they will surprise us with the Chiron.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jim said:

This pretty much sums it up. At least, that is what they did with the Porsche. Maybe they will surprise us with the Chiron.

I keep my hopes up, if I saw it right I think we will get a 20T transmission clutch gear. That should make it possible to make a more advanced gearbox than a simple 4-speed. Furthermore a driving extender is used as well, which suggest that the gearbox will include a reverse gear. Which, thinking out loud, could point to a manual gearbox, instead of a sequential box...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the main catch - play with customer dreams. In this case they are buying dream (some copy of it). Most of us can't buy real Porsche 911 or any Bugatti, but we can buy their copys. So we buy them. I was really dissapointed with Porsche, but I was amazed before with Arocs. Maybe even some BWE will be better buy for some TECNICian than Bugatti.

Millenium Falcon is different story, I think, it can't dissapoint in any way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

I keep my hopes up, if I saw it right I think we will get a 20T transmission clutch gear. That should make it possible to make a more advanced gearbox than a simple 4-speed. Furthermore a driving extender is used as well, which suggest that the gearbox will include a reverse gear. Which, thinking out loud, could point to a manual gearbox, instead of a sequential box...

I do think TLG will provide some special/new things. Would surprise me if they don't.

1 minute ago, Jurss said:

This is the main catch - play with customer dreams. In this case they are buying dream (some copy of it). Most of us can't buy real Porsche 911 or any Bugatti, but we can buy their copys. So we buy them. I was really dissapointed with Porsche, but I was amazed before with Arocs. Maybe even some BWE will be better buy for some TECNICian than Bugatti.

Millenium Falcon is different story, I think, it can't dissapoint in any way.

You, and some of us, were disappointed because you expected more. 99% of the other people simply think the Porsche is awesome. There were people disappointed with the Falcon as well. Probably the same people who were in line to get it on day one. People complain, but want it anyway. That's how luxury products like these work.

Don't get me started on the BWE :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JTS said:

I my self know a handful of people who own the Porsche despite not owning a set for 20+ years. That's Lego's target market, and they're the people who have it sitting on display gathering dust.

I had an extra Porsche and sold it to a woman who wanted it for her boyfriend because he was somewhat into Lego but had never had such a big set. But it was Lego, a super-cool looking Porsche, great gift for the "hubby" as she put it.

It's primarily a consumer market, not a collector market. AFOLs often seem to forget they're not the target. But that's always the case with humans and their little bubbles that they build for whatever community they create, from the smallest hobby to political groups.

I don't understand all the hate for the Porsche (despite its flaws), it's an awesome set overall (and let's be serious, no AFOL who wanted it had to buy it at RRP, and it will be the same with the Bugatti) We should be thankful they actually give a lot of importance to AFOLs and dedicated fans, building huge sets that don't really fly off the shelves in grandma's bag, doing complex and interesting builds and deciding things such as the Taj Mahal re-release.

Edited by anatem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, anatem said:

I had an extra Porsche and sold it to a woman who wanted it for her boyfriend because he was somewhat into Lego but had never had such a big set. But it was Lego, a super-cool looking Porsche, great gift for the "hubby" as she put it.

It's primarily a consumer market, not a collector market. AFOLs often seem to forget they're not the target. But that's always the case with humans and their little bubbles that they build for whatever community they create, from the smallest hobby to political groups.

I don't understand all the hate for the Porsche (despite its flaws), it's an awesome set overall (and let's be serious, no AFOL who wanted it had to buy it at RRP, and it will be the same with the Bugatti) We should be thankful they actually give a lot of importance to AFOLs and dedicated fans, building huge sets that don't really fly off the shelves in grandma's bag, doing complex and interesting builds and deciding things such as the Taj Mahal re-release.

This is exactly how it works.

I don't think we really hate the Porsche. I was pretty critical in my review, but to be honest....I do love the Porsche now. It's sitting on my desk at work in a display case and every day I can enjoy it. We simply expected it to be more than just a blown up 42039. Therefore I hope that the Chiron will give us some unique parts to make it a real LEGO Supercar. If not, I would still buy it. No doubt about it. So, yes, I am thankful, but we are talking about a 350-400 euro set, so one can be a bit critical :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Jim said:

Therefore I hope that the Chiron will give us some unique parts to make it a real LEGO Supercar. If not, I would still buy it.

If not, TLG would still send it to you for a review. No need to buy anything. :wink::grin:

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Jim said:

So, yes, I am thankful, but we are talking about a 350-400 euro set, so one can be a bit critical :wink:

Yeah, I wasn't very happy with some things with the Porsche either, but it was still awesome. Plus we always have the community to make these sets much better; and the car display fans get a cool model; and Lego makes massive sales. Everyone's happy if you ask me, and I doubt we're ever going to get a set that will live up to our (community on the whole) (extremely high) expectations - even 42054 has some things I'd criticize, and it's possibly my favorite technic set. 42070 on the other hand...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

If not, TLG would still send it to you for a review. No need to buy anything. :wink::grin:

I hope so. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jim said:

I hope so. 

My jealousy intensifies... :laugh:

Edited by anatem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.