7 hours ago, JonathanM said:

I think the photo and instructions show opposite sides, so each orange selector seems to drive 2 driving rings each?

They show the opposite side and show there is only one driving ring on the most visible side; there is no driving ring underneath the orange selector on that side.

Images in my bricksafe.

Edited by Didumos69

10 hours ago, bekesizoltan said:

Each orange controls 2 clutches, so totally 8 speeds.

Hm; is it possible that blue double bevel 20T clutch gear is actually reverse?

12 hours ago, bekesizoltan said:

Each orange controls 2 clutches, so totally 8 speeds.

1 hour ago, I_Igor said:

Hm; is it possible that blue double bevel 20T clutch gear is actually reverse?

It's a mistake to assume each orange selector controls 2 driving rings. One is only controlling one driving ring.

The 20t clutch gear drives the same axle as the 16t clutch gear at the other end of the driving ring. So I don't see how the 20t clutch gear would make the reverse. I think it's a plain 8-speed gearbox.

2 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

They show the opposite side and show there is only one driving ring on the most visible side; there is no driving ring underneath the orange selector on that side.

Images in my bricksafe.

1 hour ago, Didumos69 said:

It's a mistake to assume each orange selector controls 2 driving rings. One is only controlling one driving ring.

The 20t clutch gear drives the same axle as the 16t clutch gear at the other end of the driving ring. So I don't see how the 20t clutch gear would make the reverse. I think it's a plain 8-speed gearbox.

Sorry, I think I was wrong. I think there are 4 driving rings. The one underneath that is not visible in the photo, seems to be slightly visible in the instructions in the background. At one side it seems there is a yellow clutch extension or something like that. That would make sense for a reverse. So I think it is 7+R after all.

Edited by Didumos69

Judging by the leaked picture of the gearbox, I believe that we will not be having the same problem as the Porsche 2 years ago. Also, 8 speeds (7+R) is a monumental achievement in an official Lego set (first one to do so?). Anyways, mad props to the designer for making this set both aesthetically pleasing and functional. My expectations were a bit low after the first leak, but now they're higher than ever.

To those of you saying the colour vomit is unique to Technic you haven’t built any recent Speed Champions, Microfighters, Ideas sets of Creator Expert vehicles. They all have them.

i think sometimes it’s so you can then easily understand the orientation of the images in the instructions.

as to the new leaks, it’s a real shame this has happened but with these new parts it’s a day 1 purchase for me. I’ve still not built the Porsche and I even went to the extent of buying the few extra pieces for the “Eurobricks” basic upgrade.

i think the W16 will be on top of the gearbox.

also don’t forget there needs to be a mechanism to switch the spoiler between 3 positions, down up and braking.

roll on the full reveal on the 1st

I really hope that "color vomit" discussion will end soon and I don't like the term, it's disrespectful.

I'm pretty sure that we all have a lot of black beams and connectors so having them in the variety of colors is a good thing. They won't be visible from outside anyway so what's the problem? LEGO gives us more orange connectors and we're complaining?

And to be clear, people call it vomit because of:

- about 10 blue pieces;

- 5 orange pieces;

- 1lime beam;

- 2 yellow beams and a few connectors;

- like a 100 gray and black pieces.

I don't get it.

Nor do I for a set that will sit on the shelf. No one is going to see the Technicolor (my new term for the V word.)

New Technic Lego, Now in Technicolor!

Edited by Bublehead

Yeah, that new piece looks to be useful. But blue gears! What??

1 minute ago, Bublehead said:

Nor do I for a set that will sit on the shelf. No one is going to see the Technic-color (my new term for the V word.)

So now you have 2 terms you have to be careful with :laugh:. Btw. I'm glad you sticked around :thumbup:.

No, 8880 had way more single use exclusive parts and new molds than any other at the time. Not sure this tops that yet.

3 hours ago, Saberwing40k said:

I for one do not like the color vomit, and I find it wholly unneeded. It does not appear in any other Lego line

Off-topic, but eh?  Try building most any City set with more than a few pieces.  Colour barf is standard. :wink:

1 hour ago, Skiing Biology God said:

Judging by the leaked picture of the gearbox, I believe that we will not be having the same problem as the Porsche 2 years ago. Also, 8 speeds (7+R) is a monumental achievement in an official Lego set (first one to do so?). Anyways, mad props to the designer for making this set both aesthetically pleasing and functional. My expectations were a bit low after the first leak, but now they're higher than ever.

Where did you find the leaked picture of the gearbox? May  I have a look, it seems every one here know how it looks like, except me.

2 minutes ago, Didumos69 said:

Btw. I'm glad you sticked around :thumbup:

Momma always said I was the most interesting person in the room, unfortunately I was the only person in the room. :laugh:

Technic of old and LEGO of old is gone, so we'll have to deal with "color vomit", plus the instructions are for 1 - 3 pieces at the time and not a whole set of pieces, it's just how it's made now. Plus if it was on the outside yeah it would be concern, but most of the pieces, especially the lime ones are inside and won't be visible and except for a few new pieces it won't be hard to replace during modding process

One concerning thing for me is the AWD and central diff... as I've said before it seems like there is a perfect spot for it, but I guess we'll know in a few days.

Still a day one purchase though

Edited by Ascius

Like I’ve said, this is now a day one purchase if only for the new gearbox parts. I am already thinking about how to use them in non gearbox ways.

8 hours ago, sm1995 said:

Am I the only one who loves color vomit? Blue gears are pretty awesome.

Nope. I love it too. Though I have to get used to the blue gear color.

I like the term Technicolor! We could use it to avoid the negative connotations associated with the old terms :laugh: As Ascius said, new Technic, new design philosophies, then new terms as well :laugh_hard:

Breaking news. Pics of the interior packaging have just leaked. It´s basically like the 911, with the manuals surrounded by 4 other boxes and the 4 rims on one side. All the boxes and the manual combined are a mosaic of the front headlight - perfect for OCD/Aspergers. Let´s hope they pack them better than the first 911.

Edited by valenciaeric

2 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

Breaking news. Pics of the interior packaging have just leaked. It´s basically like the 911, with the manuals surrounded by 4 other boxes and the 4 rims on one side. All the boxes and the manual combined are a mosaic of the front headlight - perfect for OCD/Aspergers. Let´s hope they pack them better than the first 911.

Source please!

Love than packaging, same as I did with Porsche. Dammit... I can't wait now