Can't hide the fact I'm really disappointed. I was/am really hoping for a May 1st unveiling...

Edited by JTS

Has any set ever been revealed as late as the day of its release? Lego has done well to keep it hidden, but with its release to VIP members only a couple weeks away ide expect it's reveal any time now. 

7 hours ago, Skiing Biology God said:

Jim, do you know what date the unveiling will be?

Yes, I know. It’s in 31 days and 3 hours :wink: 

Forgive my gloomy state of mind at the moment, but I must confess that the upcoming Bugatti leaves me feeling a bit "meh" for a number of reasons:

1. Price: The Porsche was almost too expensive to buy for me and this set will cost even more. So I fear that even with discounts at my regular shops, it will remain out of reach for many potential customers.

2. Complexity: The Porsche left out some features of the real car (like 4 wheel steering, door locks, ...) that could have made the set more interesting mechanically. These weren't really that difficult to incorporate into the design and would have added to the "UCS status" of the set. The paddle shifting gearbox was really cool, but after building the Porsche, I felt that the earlier supercars like the 8860 and the 8880 had more varied mechanisms, like adjustable seats, pop-up headlights, rear wheel steering, etc.  I really hope that the rumours of a brake system in the Chiron set turn out to be true, otherwise I think the Bugatti will struggle to be mechanically more interesting than its predecessor, let alone the legendary Technic supercars of yesteryear. Simply chucking a huge number of cylinder parts in a car is not enough to make it a "UCS technic set".

3. Looks: Converting the organic curves of a real car in a Technic model will always be challenging, but the proportions and looks of the Porsche felt a little off to me. The nose was too long, the roof a bit too low or flat, the wheels a tad too small (or the wheel wells to big), etc.  I think that the Chiron will be even more difficult to accurately translate into a Technic model, without looking too bulky or square.

4. Hype: The long build-up of the hype and secrecy will inevitable lead to inflated expectations and disappointed members of the community. Maybe the fact that the Porsche was showed of as a camouflaged "concept car", prepared us better for what was to come and tempered the expectations.

5. Model: The Bugatti Chiron just isn't my cup of tea. I know this must be like swearing in the automotive church, but I like cars which are more innovative, clever in their construction, better looking or more down to earth. The Chiron is a big heavy engine on wheels, with huge amounts of auxiliary systems just to keep the engine working. It is not as pretty as a Laferrari, high tech as a GT-R, subtle as a Lotus, innovative as the hybride supercars or real world as a Golf GTI. I like building stuff I see around me and a Chiron just isn't one of those machines.

I would love to be proven wrong though, I guess we'll see in a month's time.

https://www.lego.com/fr-fr/themes/technic/bugatti-chiron

2 hours ago, Cumulonimbus said:

Forgive my gloomy state of mind at the moment, but I must confess that the upcoming Bugatti leaves me feeling a bit "meh" for a number of reasons:

For me, my expectations are pretty low, im 99.99% sure about not buying this set, even if it look good. Just because it will be ridiculously overpriced for what it does. Even worse than the Porsche.

Edited by Timoonn

@Cumulonimbus I think one of the constraints for designing the Porsche is the number of pieces. I recalled reading somewhere that the real Porsche is also made up of 2700 pieces. TLG may have wanted to stick to that number to further cement the idea that people are building a real car.

I don't know if the Chiron is also subjected to the same constraint :-s

1 hour ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

@Cumulonimbus I think one of the constraints for designing the Porsche is the number of pieces. I recalled reading somewhere that the real Porsche is also made up of 2700 pieces. TLG may have wanted to stick to that number to further cement the idea that people are building a real car.

I don't know if the Chiron is also subjected to the same constraint :-s

This was indeed mentioned when the Porsche was about to be released, but it's really a myth. A normal car is made up of about 30.000 parts, let alone the number of parts in a Bigatti Chiron. But even if the number of subassemblies of the real car would come close to the LEGO counterpart, it would be a ridiculous constraint imo. If you pick the right subassembly level, you can always make the granularity approach the LEGO replica. People want to see features and looks replicated, as realistic as possible. Who cares how the number of parts relates to the number of parts used in the original?

Edited by Didumos69

Daim are you really wishing about cars with realistic look a lot of functions just for 200€? Dont be dumb please, its imposible look at best rated mocs a lot of parts tons of functions but their price is close to 500 and thats just a smallest i think, so why there is still some people saying that they wont buy this set because its overpriced. Jesus go find a way to get money and it wont be overpriced, lego needs to survive somehow.

Just now, LithuanianTF said:

Daim are you really wishing about cars with realistic look a lot of functions just for 200€?

8070, 110€ 

Well, 8070 is a supercar inname only. And for price-per-part ratio, 42083 seems to come pretty close...

Let's not wander into the supercar discussion please.

Right but that isn't licensed. Licenses easily drive up the price of a model(now whether it's purely for profit or not is irrelevant, licensing anything costs money...Bugatti is still taking a risk on this as Lego could make a horrible model) .

Additionally, looks of a car are subjective. I'd disagree that a Bugatti is just an engine with wheels (you can say that for 99% of cars out there)..but the engineering behind it is the reason they have the name they do.

The original Porsche Model did have 4 wheel steering but Porsche asked Lego to take it out (this is in various interviews, although I'm not sure why). Both companies have to come to an agreement on what features it will include. The designers are passionate as the rest of us I'm sure but Lego's target market isn't people who like the super complex stuff(ie this forum). Have to remember the price comes from the R&D behind it too, it isn't just about the value of the physical pieces. That doesn't mean it isn't overpriced, I just think we don't know how much it's actually worth yet. 

3 hours ago, Cumulonimbus said:

5. Model: The Bugatti Chiron just isn't my cup of tea. I know this must be like swearing in the automotive church, but I like cars which are more innovative, clever in their construction, better looking or more down to earth. The Chiron is a big heavy engine on wheels, with huge amounts of auxiliary systems just to keep the engine working. It is not as pretty as a Laferrari, high tech as a GT-R, subtle as a Lotus, innovative as the hybride supercars or real world as a Golf GTI. I like building stuff I see around me and a Chiron just isn't one of those machines.

I agree, but it will still appeal to most lego builders.

4 hours ago, Cumulonimbus said:

The Bugatti Chiron is not my favorite either, even though I am thrilled about this set. To add to the critique, the distinctive curve running along the roof, bending down to the bottom and underneath the doors does not breath speed at all imo. It feels more like a braking parachute. To me this car is a big question mark laying on it's back :grin:.

Edited by Didumos69

12 minutes ago, LithuanianTF said:

dude you wana say that this model look good? Hope so that you are joking

Please don't continue Off-topic discussions. Stick to the Bugatti.

7 minutes ago, Didumos69 said:

The Bugatti Chiron is not my favorite either, even though I am thrilled about this set.

I am not 100% sure about the looks of the Chiron either, although this version http://www.supercarsuk.co.uk/cars/bugatti-vision-gt-or-chiron-concept/ looks pretty savage.

The engineering (just the tyres alone) is pretty amazing though. I am looking forward to see what Lego can make of it.

Edited by Pvdb

There are only 2 of those in the world from what I know. Bugatti designed that car specifically for Gran Turismo (the video game). A few other manufacturers have their own "GT" cars as well that look more concept than anything. It's still crazy. 

5 minutes ago, LithuanianTF said:

Daim are you really wishing about cars with realistic look a lot of functions just for 200€? Dont be dumb please, its imposible look at best rated mocs a lot of parts tons of functions but their price is close to 500 and thats just a smallest i think, so why there is still some people saying that they wont buy this set because its overpriced. Jesus go find a way to get money and it wont be overpriced, lego needs to survive somehow.

Thank you for your nuanced opinion. I wasn't talking about money, but about value which is a completely different concept.

I consider myself lucky that the money asked for this set is not an issue, the value it will deliver potentially is. I won't give a lecture here about cost-value-price, but I will say that for that price I expect a certain value in the form of features, looks, parts and desirability. My concern is that the little information we have so far give me the feeling that the value of the set will not be high enough to justify the price.

3 minutes ago, Cumulonimbus said:

Thank you for your nuanced opinion. I wasn't talking about money, but about value which is a completely different concept.

I consider myself lucky that the money asked for this set is not an issue, the value it will deliver potentially is. I won't give a lecture here about cost-value-price, but I will say that for that price I expect a certain value in the form of features, looks, parts and desirability. My concern is that the little information we have so far give me the feeling that the value of the set will not be high enough to justify the price.

There are few sentences above these comments about Buggati license, like do you want to say that you are wishing from official lego set same functions as we have in people mocs? If you talk about value, i think its imposible for designers to create a supercar which would have functions gearbox, spoilers, engine, PF, for reasonable price, and nobody understands that, like look at other creations in pieces separatly they cost more than 1k but same number of pieces almost, so i cant understand why there is so much "hate" about this set and porche

I seriously don't know how (and even if) you will be able to buy the Chiron on 16 May if the unveiling is supposed to be 1 June. Maybe the 16 May release date is for some other exclusive set, not 42083.