New new molds so far, except for the bulldog...  means that the upcoming sets most likely will have new parts, especially the Chiron and this year's flagship set.  Also, PF2 probably sucked up a good amount of the new part allowance.

1 hour ago, AVCampos said:

I don't have much hope in that. Compared to previous years, this semester has seen practically no new moulds (the only exception being the Mack bulldog), so I suspect the Technic team saved their yearly new moulds budget to spend it all on the 2nd half of the year.

10 minutes ago, JGW3000 said:

New new molds so far, except for the bulldog...  means that the upcoming sets most likely will have new parts, especially the Chiron and this year's flagship set.  Also, PF2 probably sucked up a good amount of the new part allowance.

I don't think TLG has a policy and budget to introduce a certain amount of new parts every year. Maybe specific parts such as rims for a licensed set, but such parts will only be produced for that set and their costs are directly covered by the sets price. Apart from that, introducing new parts only makes sense if they are versatile (like @Bartybum also pointed out), not because there should be a minimal amount of new parts every year, just to please a bunch of grown-up fanatics.

Exactly, that's why I don't like much the Porsche rims or the Volvo bucket (although in the latter case they managed to reuse it). Still, it's quite likely that whatever new elements introduced (apart from one-offs like the Chiron's rims) will be made in a way to be as reusable as possible.

Some time ago, there was posted a comment, based on an interview with a LEGO designer, that each product line had a certain fixed number of new molds, prints and color changes per year, the number of which depends on the number of parts or sets each product line produces.  I believe that Technic has unlimited color changes, but limited new molds.  IDEAS, for example, is allotted no new molds and only limited color changes, but apparently they get lots of new prints.  Star Wars, I can imagine, can get many new molds, color change, and prints.

Well there's still those many different sizes of dog clutch gears to introduce to make more realistic, simpler, more intuative, easier for kids to understand, more reliable gearboxes out of fewer parts! 

1 hour ago, AVCampos said:

Preferably without the huge backlash the current 16T gears have.

Maybe you are hoping for too much with this.

What I think is crazy is that a flagship set will have no new molds just new colors, and some small little tiny vehicle will have two brand new parts, 2 new molds in it. And of course these parts allow the smaller model to have some specialized function... and we don't see them used on a flagship set till the following year. Which again means to TLG, playability always trumps other aspects of the process, be it looks, size, color, etc... As far as I'm concerned, it is a challenge and more fun  to have to engineer around things without new parts.  To me that is the joy of building Technic Lego... make it work within a very specific set of rules, here the rules being, does TLG make it or made it in the past, does it break anything, and does it click/vibrate/self destruct. ? Happy Building 

BH

24 minutes ago, Bublehead said:

As far as I'm concerned, it is a challenge and more fun  to have to engineer around things without new parts.  To me that is the joy of building Technic Lego... make it work within a very specific set of rules, here the rules being, does TLG make it or made it in the past, does it break anything, and does it click/vibrate/self destruct

This exactly how I feel about this too. If you arrive at a point where you need a part that doesn't exist, you have to go back and come up with something different. It's that puzzle that makes building fun, at least to me it does.

Edited by Didumos69

12 hours ago, allanp said:

Well there's still those many different sizes of dog clutch gears to introduce

I'm afraid, that it is pretty hard to make something even smaller, because of geometry, that is defined by studs.

8 hours ago, Bublehead said:

What I think is crazy is that a flagship set will have no new molds

It will have - new rims, most probably hubs

I just don't understand, why they didn't made for these sets narrower tires and rims for front. 

I don't either. No matter the vehicle, most Lego tires are too wide, for no actual reason.

8 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

This exactly how I feel about this too. If you arrive at a point where you need a part that doesn't exist, you have to go back and come up with something different. It's that puzzle that makes building fun, at least to me it does.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. There are just some things you can not do with existing parts. For instance, narrow independent suspension. And I'm sure you would like it if Lego introduced new hubs that had the same lack of slack as the mini turntables. Fact of the matter, there is no excuse for the existing rims to have the amount of slack they do. Also, certain specialized parts could use revisions, like the U joints to make them stronger, or wheel hubs again to increase steering angle. Sometimes there just isn't a brick built solution. Or, think of it like tools. Sure, you can do a lot with generic tools, but certain things are awkward or difficult, which justifies a new tool for the job. New parts are just new tools in your toolbelt.

Yes, you can do everything with an adjustable spanner, but it's so much more pleasurable and efficient to use a full socket set.

To those who say it's more fun to stay within the current parts  set I would like to ask, when Lego does introduce a new part, do you choose not to use it so you can stay within the current parts set? I suspect you don't. I suspect you don't have a cut off date of 2017. Which tells me that if given the choice you would take the new parts as quickly as I would. But I should say that it's not a complaint from me if I don't have the part I want. It's just fun to think about how to make a good thing even better. And how could I complain when Lego has released, and continue to release new parts that I have suggested here on Eurobricks!

@Saberwing40k With the narrow independent suspension argument, at what point do you draw the line? Once Lego gives you parts that let you do that, then it’s inevitable that someone like you is gonna want to build even narrower independent suspension.

22 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

@Saberwing40k With the narrow independent suspension argument, at what point do you draw the line? Once Lego gives you parts that let you do that, then it’s inevitable that someone like you is gonna want to build even narrower independent suspension.

They won't be happy until the left side becomes the right side and vice a versa. That will be narrow enough.

4 hours ago, Jurss said:

I just don't understand, why they didn't made for these sets narrower tires and rims for front. 

Because that's another half a million dollars that they'd need to spend on two molds. It's a waste of money on something that's a hidden aesthetic.

2 hours ago, Bartybum said:

at what point do you draw the line?

At least some axle, where one end fits in to hub (there is 3rd party made part), so we could use existing suspension arms. It is impossible to create correct driven independent suspension with existing suspension arms, only with 6L (half)beams. 

Ok, bu we went offtopic.

I think I'm in the "I don't care if they release new parts but it would be cool if they did". 

That being said I'm REALLY surprised that this car hasn't leaked or that Lego hasn't teased anything after the original. Marketing works because I'm super excited. 

16 minutes ago, SheldonF said:

I think I'm in the "I don't care if they release new parts but it would be cool if they did". 

That being said I'm REALLY surprised that this car hasn't leaked or that Lego hasn't teased anything after the original. Marketing works because I'm super excited. 

That's why I hope that Chiron will be amazing, because lego was never so secretive about any model before. 1st of May is so close, we will find out soon if it all of that hype was worthless or not. Lego must be very confident about their model this time :)

Edited by Jaromir
Adding more text

Honestly I hope they only release a few new parts. I hope that they realize new wheel hubs front and back the either have pneumatic brake pads built in or as a separate part. I like this idea because we would finally be given brakes to build into our models. This would leave the old hubs for display sets. If they release a pneumatic brake pad they might have to also release an electric valve. Am I too hopeful or is it realistic to expect only a few new parts but for those parts to be game changing? I do like the idea of a new gear clutch size as well. Note that LEGO hasn’t released any new technical parts yet this year. Maybe they are saving their allotted number of new molds for the 42083 Bugatti Chiron. I sincerely hope this is the case. 

Edited by Jack Bloomer

I don’t think you’re too crazy to expect this from Lego... I mean it’s a Bugatti we are talking about here for gods sake! They sure as hell do have high expectations over there.

3 hours ago, Jack Bloomer said:

Honestly I hope they only release a few new parts. I hope that they realize new wheel hubs front and back the either have pneumatic brake pads built in or as a separate part. I like this idea because we would finally be given brakes to build into our models. This would leave the old hubs for display sets. If they release a pneumatic brake pad they might have to also release an electric valve. Am I too hopeful or is it realistic to expect only a few new parts but for those parts to be game changing? I do like the idea of a new gear clutch size as well. Note that LEGO hasn’t released any new technical parts yet this year. Maybe they are saving their allotted number of new molds for the 42083 Bugatti Chiron. I sincerely hope this is the case. 

The thing is that if they will release brakes like actuall piece well that wouldnt be very interesting in mocs anymore, what you could add by yourself in a supercar later thaN? Gearbox is not that rare thing that would surprise everyone, but brakes iS, and pieces like you said will destroy any interest about researching something new

I think the controlling of the leaks has been a good move on Lego's part because it has dramatically decreased the expectations from AFOLs.  I know we are only a portion of the buyers of the Porsche, but the months of visual speculation about the Porsche led to overly high expectations.  Basically, I'm not sure if keeping the secret is a sign of confidence in the Bugatti, or a temperance of expectations.  I don't think leaks and speculation play a big hyping role in the sales of sets outside intense AFOL circles.

46 minutes ago, LithuanianTF said:

The thing is that if they will release brakes like actuall piece well that wouldnt be very interesting in mocs anymore, what you could add by yourself in a supercar later thaN? Gearbox is not that rare thing that would surprise everyone, but brakes iS, and pieces like you said will destroy any interest about researching something new

That’s true and I totally agree with that and I hadn’t thought of that. However, some will want to build better custom brakes just like people build custom wheel hubs in the past. Also it would be nice for people like me who can’t afford to buy tons of peices to have an alternative to build their mocs. 

Big silence on the forum and probably only 5 days left to Chirons media release, seems like everybody have enough of speculations and just want to see a final model :D