I am almost done building the Chiron and I must say I am very impressed with the gearbox. Everything works like a charm and I can clearly see (and feel) that the sequence is correct. And I love the fact that it is a 8 + R and not an 8 + "8R". Still need to finish the front, so I am not sure how my suspension is holding up.

I agree @Jim it's much better to have a single reverse :) I forgot to mention in my video one little annoyance compared to the Porsche, it bothers me that there are no stickers to indicate when the car is in drive or reverse. I think that's the source of confusion for some who say that the engine does not work in reverse. It's actually in drive then, as pushing the car in reverse causes an almost instant (and quick) piston movement. When it's in drive (especially in lower gears) it is possible to push the car back up to 70cm before the pistons start moving. It means if someone tries to push the car back and forth on the table starting with a push backwards then the pistons might not move at all.

@kbalage, that seems like a very plausible explanation, If you take into account the number of gear meshes (engine to diffs) directly involved in each gear:

R::4, 1st: 11, 2nd: 15, 3rd: 11, 4th: 15, 5th: 13, 6th: 17, 7th: 13, 8th: 17.

People may be happy with the drivetrain, but I think this is ridiculous. These.numbers do not even take into account all other meshes that are not directly involved, yet always active. Two driving rings actually only need a red clutch gear at one end if a 1-8 gearblock was added in the stock model. So at least two dummy gear meshes would not.have been needed.

Edited by Didumos69

I just finished the model and I absolutely love it. 

However, I have indeed noticed that the piston sometimes don't move or start moving after a long distance of driving.

And yeah, the suspension doesn't work properly. Both the front and the back springs don't go back to the original position.

It is a stunning model! I will definitely address the flaws in my review, but man....this thing looks magnificent. I even like the front....if you lookt at it from the right angle :wink: 

42850586481_eb974216a7_b.jpg

Just now, Jim said:

right angle :wink: 

To me the only right angle that makes the front look alright is the bird eye view.

Beautiful picture as always @Jim !

13 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

To me the only right angle that makes the front look alright is the bird eye view.

But then the ugly gaps behind the hood going into the dashboard are visible...

38 minutes ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

Beautiful picture as always @Jim !

But then the ugly gaps behind the hood going into the dashboard are visible...

They may look ugly but from the bird-eyes view they are right where they should be.

JBE6aXw.jpg

I'd prefer a solution with flex axle to achieve the curve behind the hood rather than the current one.

19 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I'd prefer a solution with flex axle to achieve the curve behind the hood rather than the current one.

Adding one or two flex axles would probably have made it look better indeed.

That being said; I don't think the gaps are so bad.

I thought it was Technic, to have to work properly and then but not necesary, having a good looking and it is the opposite, it makes the Porsche good,

2 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I think some system pieces could be used as well?

Still have the completed build on my desk. I just love looking at it. Especially the rear.

Oh and yeah pistons do have some problems with mine too sometimes

That entire site looks like it was created by a bot. Very odd. Info is wrong too (didn't bother reading past the first sentence since it said the factory was in Italy)

Just now, pagicence said:

Any news on the downloadable building instructions? When will that be available on lego.com?

They are already available: book 1 & book 2

Finished mine last night and it’s currently on display in the engineering office where I work. It’s getting lots of attention.

i like the model a lot it was very enjoyable to build.

theres a few holes I don’t like, the ones on the front wing mainly, but for a model built out of primarily Technic parts I don’t think you could do a lot better.

i do love the dash/ip shaping and the stickers work well here and the new gearbox is great.

mine is suffering slightly with the front suspension but it looks ok

1 minute ago, blondasek said:

@Jim how it looks with your review? :) Even though I have it, I am still waiting to see your point of view.

Finished most of the write-up, but I will still need a full day for the details etc. Hope to publish it next week. It won't be as elaborate as the Porsche review though, so don't expect too much.

I am on Box 5, Bag 10 IIRC I think, but either way I just finished putting the Dark Azure fenders on mine.  Putting the stickers on it too, just doesn’t seem right without them, and I will keep this one original without any mods on the shelf.  Just like the 911, Static display only.   

Hopefully I will find another one for way cheaper to place in the parts bins.  Been mulling over making a MOC Flatbed truck to haul it on. Or possibly two, one for the 911 also.

So far here is my take on the Chiron.  With Bugatti involved from the beginning, I think there are reasons that the suspension doesn’t work as well as we think it should because I believe that the designers had to make the insides of the car match the real Chiron monocoque construction. Now in theory, for the real Chiron, the monocoque frame is light and very strong. But to get the rigidity, and mind you I think the Bugatti folks wanted this thing to be robust and sturdy, that required a lot more ABS to both match the shape of the chassis and provide the necessary rigidity. Which ultimately led to it being overly weighty and thus the problem with the suspension.

Now you have to believe that the finished model went to Bugatti for final sign off, and that they saw the poor performance of the suspension.  But seeing this only makes the thing look even lower to the ground, with a front to back rake, they probably saw it as acceptable trade off between strong and non flexy and flimsy and weak. The only reason they left it alone was they ran out of design cycles (as stated many times here and elsewhere as probable cause).

Now have I been impressed with it? It has been an entertaining build so far, no new building techniques to speak of except using 1x1 syringe needles and half pins to interface System with Technic.  The paddle shifter stepper mechanism is cool, and actually works pretty well out of the box/bags.  Build has been pretty straight forward, no missed “gotcha” steps where you have to disassemble 40 steps to fix an error.  The Technic-olor innards are not too bad and the construction is very robust and stiff. You are not afraid to look at it directly in fear of handfuls of parts sluffing off by a stern glance.  So far it seems pretty swooshable as a toy car goes, and man handling it doesn’t seem to be a problem.

Is it over priced? absolutely. But then again the real Chiron is too.

Does it look like a Chiron? Yeah, hard to mistake it as anything else except a Veyron, but only to the un-gearheaded eye.

Does the gearbox work? It shifts nice, but not much of a head turner on the difference in output between gears.

Does it have a turning radius of the Titanic? Unfortunately, yes.

Is the rear wing cool? Yes, pretty cool, yet even cooler if it worked with the gearbox or a fake brake pedal.

Does it have flimsy doors? Yep, TLG spared no expense to give us un latched, wibbly wobbly, timey wimey doors (and I haven’t even built them yet!!!)

Would I buy it again at $377 out the door? Nope. Looking for a sub $200 used one even as we speak.

Dark Azure and Dark blue? It works for me. Navy blue is better than Navel Orange. But I’ve been mulling a orange and dark blue Chiron MOC... might work. Seems to work for the Denver Broncos.

Looking forward to finishing it this Sunday night.

Edited by Bublehead
Typo

45 minutes ago, Bublehead said:

acceptable trade off between strong and non flexy and flimsy and weak.

Well, the suspension fix developed by me and @jb70 is actually stronger and does not degrade the resemblance with the real Bugatti. They could have had both, good suspension and a realistic rake angle.