4 hours ago, efferman said:

doese i have built it wrong or are the gear ratios are not really different?

Didn't you make a similar error as the zusammengebaut review?

On 6/4/2018 at 11:27 AM, Didumos69 said:

The zusammengebaut review reports a wrong gear sequence: " 1. Gang → 6. Gang → 7. Gang → 8. Gang → 5. Gang → 2. Gang → 3. Gang → 4. Gang." But they made a mistake with the 2L lever with towball. With the 2L lever positioned as in the image below (from zusammengebaut), the 4-speed gearbox (in the background of this image) should be in its 1st gear, but it is in its 2nd gear. This means that when you switch the 4-speed gearbox from its 1st to 2nd gear, the high gear of the low-high gearbox (in the foreground of this image) is immediately engaged. So, effectively this switches the entire gearbox from 1st to (2+4=6)th gear.

800x450.jpg

To make it work, the orange gear selectors and the 2L lever with towball should be aligned properly. The foreground of the render below shows the only correct aligment of the 4-speed gearbox with the 2L-lever with towball pointing to the upper-right side. The 4-speed gearbox is in its 4th gear. In the background of the render, the low-high gearbox is in its low gear, which corresponds with either of the two vertical gear selector positions. However, the low-high gearbox might as well have been in its high gear, which corresponds with either of the two horizontal gear selector positions. The 2L-lever with towball is in position to switch the low-high gearbox when an up-shift occurs (the right paddle under the steering wheel is for up-shifting). Such an up-shift will switch the 4-speed gearbox from 4th to 1st gear. In the render, with the low-high gearbox in low gear, this means the entire gearbox is switched from 4th to 5th gear, which is the desired result. If the low-high gearbox had been in high gear, the up-shift would have resulted in an 8th to 1st shift of the complete gearbox.

800x450.jpg

The brothersbrick review shows the correct alignment. The low-high gearbox is in low gear and the 4-speed gearbox is in 4th gear.

800x450.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

Found my mistake. Not the missalignement. Myself, a silly blind moron forgot a 16 tooth gear at step 83. Thanks for the pictures, they helped a lot to finde the issue.

seems to work correct now

Edited by efferman

4 hours ago, efferman said:

Found my mistake. Not the missalignement. Myself, a silly blind moron forgot a 16 tooth gear at step 83. Thanks for the pictures, they helped a lot to finde the issue.

seems to work correct now

Good to see you get it worked out and also find out I'm not the only one that occasionally doesn't necessarily get it right the first time. 

Could I suggest that owners of the Chiron who are concerned with the front suspension issue politely reach out to lego? If it's a fault with the design then shouldn't they be coming up with a solution. Lego support is great and I'm optimistic that if enough of us bring this to their attention then they may be able to provide an official fix.

Nearly finished mine as there was a missing liftarm (2 x 4 L-Shape Thick in Dark Blue) and Lego don't seem to have any stock...and since 42083 is the first set it appears in, I'm doomed :-)

Other than that, the build is really enjoyable, the gearbox works great, the engine is as expected : massive...and not too complicated. There are a lot of clever solutions but it really misse 1/ a piece 2/ a central diff 3/ stiffer springs 4/ more printed pieces :-)

Other than that, for those living in France, my copy is on display at Joué Club Chauray (79).

1528574005-img-1033.png

Edited by charlesw

1 hour ago, ludi said:

in this picture it looks really flimsy and hideous imho

indeed - not the best angle... ;-)

True indeed, but it is also true that the front end is quite flimsy in itself :wink:

Edited by charlesw

I just finished building my Bugatti. And I must say, I really enjoyed it. What a great building  experience. I recommend to listen to the podcasts, while building your Bugatti. This car is a technic monster in real life and as well in Lego. It is very dense packed with technic features and combined with perfect design.

IMHO one of the best Lego sets ever.

Gearbox and engine now run smoothly after correcting a building mistake, I did. Please be sure, the white clutch gear runs free, before doing the marriage of the front and back. Mine was sqeezed between the beams and caused to much friction.

The front suspension works OK, is not lagging much more than the back, but it could have some more ground clearance. I am missing a HOG steering, but this can be modded. So let´s start to pimp up this Bugatti!

So, I can fully recommend to buy and build this set. I think, it is worth the price.

Well, having built my copy I can't help but feel a little disappointed. I was most looking forward to how the body lines will flow when it was completed, and honestly it was a let down. I might be in the minority but despite it's flaws, I think that the Porsche had much more cohesive design language flowing throughout. 

Anyway, my mini review:

The good-

The chassis is almost unbelievably sturdy for something this large and heavy. The designer did a really good job here, no qualms whatsoever

The interior is way way nicer than the one we got in the GT3 RS. I like it.

A like the area around the A-pillars; it's really well sculpted.

The rear end is quite beautiful. Not perfect, but it still looks great.

The bad- 

I absolutely loathe the shifter. The switching mechanism is quite good and reliable, however, it's far less intricate than the one in the Porsche. Not to mention the linked shifters that can't operate individually, thats just lazy.

The spoiler relies on friction to stay up; if you leave it in the up position and move the model around a bit it'll just slide down. It's pretty shoddy IMO.

The front suspension doesn't work perfectly, but it's not like the front end completely collapses when you press on it. It'll still bounce back up a little, although not to the complete range of operation. Not a big deal to me, since I like the low stance.

The doors are SO BAD, I don't even know where to start with them. They need to be completely redesigned.

But the biggest letdown to ME is the design. The lines just don't flow well. The front is full of empty spaces while the back is covered rather nicely. The two areas I actually really dislike are the rear section of the windows/roof and the hood.

7qUcaE2.jpg

WZjgRAZ.jpg

I don't know if I missed a step or built something wrong, but that just looks unfinished to me. Especially the roofline area. 

In the end, I enjoyed the Porsche much more as a model when it was completed. I like all the new parts that were introduced in this model, but as a whole I think Lego took a step back with the Chiron. :(

1 hour ago, sm1995 said:

Well, having built my copy I can't help but feel a little disappointed. I was most looking forward to how the body lines will flow when it was completed, and honestly it was a let down. I might be in the minority but despite it's flaws, I think that the Porsche had much more cohesive design language flowing throughout. 

I totally agree with you, after building both, the Porsche does a much better job at capturing the design of the car. Even though it is less intricate it is very good representation of the design. It has the sleek aerodynamic sports car look.

Besides the functions were better in the Porsche. Smoother driving and steering, working suspension, and having an engine that engages immediately when driving. Since I only drive on my dresser where my Chiron is displayed I can't even get the engine to engage, so no use of an 8 speed gearbox.

I am also quite disappointed with the Chiron. I think the Porsche was a much better model.

Just now, nmono said:

I am also quite disappointed with the Chiron. I think the Porsche was a much better model.

Well @Sariel just proved the Chiron is better. Your opinion is moot. :laugh: 

No, seriously, you're totally entitled to your view. There's stuff to like in both models. I'd personally prefer the Chiron if I was even remotely into cars, though. :grin:

Just now, Ngoc Nguyen said:

There are things to like and not to in both models.

Mm-hm. Like the suspension in the Porsche and Bugatti respectively. :grin:

OT: I'm not sure if anyone would actually be interested in doing this, but - Bugatti rims look pretty similar to Opel (Vauxhall/Holden) Astra OPC (VXR) rims. They should be black on the Astra, but since it is blue anyway, dark blue could work:

bugatti_chiron_23.jpeg

opel_astra_opc_5.jpeg

There've been some complaints about poor re-usability of the rims, now there's a solution that no-one asked for :classic:

@Erik Leppen, true, that's definitely something you can't change by simply building something different than a Bugatti :classic:

But I actually referred to the fact that being dark blue the rims are limiting in terms of rebuilding the Chiron in other color schemes. Once again, they might work with black+blue, but with no blue the rims would probably look out of place.

I am not a Technic builder myself, but I feel for Technic fans (especially purists) in that LEGO offers very few realistic rims. You have wheel covers from the Ferraris and Lamborghinis, which are not that cheap and are mostly for the smaller wheel molds, and then only Porsche and Bugatti wheels for this scale. And while black Porsche rims are quite universal, you can't easily replace them with the Bugatti ones unless you use the new hub as well, and on top of that they are dark blue.

Those of you that have built the Chiron, how was the building experience, both in general and relative to other large flagships (the 911, Arocs, or Bucket Wheel Excavator for example)?

1 hour ago, HoodRacer said:

how was the building experience

"Marriage" process was a little bit frustrating, Otherwise my experience was absolutely incredible. Numbered bags help a lot, finished it in two relatively short build sessions.

I think that the Porsche was for sports car fans (such as me) and the Bugatti was meant for the general population because it is more known. That being said despite the Chiron being obviously better I will always be partial to the Porsche for two reasons. One, any model 911 is my Dad’s dream car and two, it was the first ultimate series LEGO model. 

On 06/06/2018 at 10:03 PM, WvG_853 said:

Coincidence! I also ordered the missing pieces as well as the printed parts. While waiting for the price of the Chiron to drop, I decided to build the ultimate Porsche. I hope somebody will do the same for the Chiron ...

I'm nearly done 

33630558_2170914766518361_60808210026887

35001035_2181346395420424_89424912130349

I just hope we can all make the Bugatti as good as this turned out soon as modders etc get their minds on it... As this is an amazing model now, and I'm sure the Bugatti will have its flaws fixed eventually. 

I've only built Box 1, bags 1-3, so far and I've enjoyed the process of the Modular build. I was planning on building the Chiron completely as per the instructions before MODs but my OCD wouldn't let me and I've made the rear suspension assemblies as symmetrical rather than duplicate assemblies. It took a few hours but I'm doing a slow careful build and enjoying the quality of the instructions and complexity of the model. I think I did a slow hour building the gearbox module as I was working out its relationships/mechanism as it was being slowly built up.

I'm hoping to have a crack at building box 2 this week, but didn't get a chance last night and I'm off out tonight.

For some context I've got the Porsche but not built it yet and I work in the Engineering end of the Car Industry (a production line is a short walk from my desk)

For the Porsche I'm going to build it with the Eurobricks light MOD/fix pack.

11 minutes ago, Seasider said:

I've only built Box 1, bags 1-3, so far and I've enjoyed the process of the Modular build. I was planning on building the Chiron completely as per the instructions before MODs but my OCD wouldn't let me and I've made the rear suspension assemblies as symmetrical rather than duplicate assemblies. It took a few hours but I'm doing a slow careful build and enjoying the quality of the instructions and complexity of the model. I think I did a slow hour building the gearbox module as I was working out its relationships/mechanism as it was being slowly built up.

I'm hoping to have a crack at building box 2 this week, but didn't get a chance last night and I'm off out tonight.

For some context I've got the Porsche but not built it yet and I work in the Engineering end of the Car Industry (a production line is a short walk from my desk)

For the Porsche I'm going to build it with the Eurobricks light MOD/fix pack.

Same as me, I am a slow gradual builder, I like to see how it works, build in sections, check it works like it should, fit wheels before model is finished, and push it around, or if using motors test etc.. It takes me a lot longer to build my Technic models. I spend hours on them, but least we get our monies worth eh?

I just spoke to the TLG customer service regarding a parts order. The new driving ring extensions (yellow, 6211768) cost a stunning 5.20€ per piece.

The gear shifter (orange, 6227330) clocks in with 2.58€.