On 6/1/2018 at 12:58 PM, Kumbbl said:

Replacing the blue 3L friction pins by tan frictionless could be worth a try for the Chiron - could be that friction prevents the front from coming up after compressing...

I was sure they used friction pins to minimize an already sloppy wheel hub.  I have replaced with frictionless pins and am almost complete with my build. 

5 hours ago, vale said:

Another take on the front suspention:

Is it possible that @Sariel really did a building error which causes the sagging suspention?

In the speedbuilding video it's visible at about 8:22 that Sariel has build the springs in completely vertical. I've not seen the instructions yet but on another picture it looked like the springs were oriented with an angle one stud further out on the suspention arm. I'm not yet an engeneer but an shorter leverage should aplay way more force to the springs!

That would explain the sagging!

Hmm, indeed on mine the suspension does sag, but not completely: it goes up a bit again. The springs aren't vertical:

https://imgur.com/a/RgOQrPw

People are posting they don’t like it, not going to buy it, hate the price, hate too many panels, hate too much system bricks, hate the stickers, hate the terrible front suspension, hate the ridiculous 3 crank W16, hate the 16 geared transmission to get 8 gears forward, hate the colors, hate the Rims, hate the spoiler control key, hate this, hate that, hate, hate, hate...

Now, I may be in a few of those “hate” groups, but as I am on Team TLG when it comes to the continued health of the company, I opened my wallet, I pulled out $377 dollars, I slapped it on the barrel head and I took it home, I opened the box, I have the instructions laying in front of me with Box one next to it.  I will sit here happily building for the next few hours ( at least 6 to 7 or more) I will play with the functions for a few minutes once it is finished, I will park it on a shelf next to the 911 and then go back to my current MOC.  

I will have enjoyed the build, maybe learned a few new tricks, got a lot of inspiration for my own use of the new parts, and will have had an overall fun time doing it.  Not every set is going to be an 8880 type of experience or be anything like the 42070 disaster (although I enjoyed the build, I really hate the model). 

Was the experience worth $377 dollars hmmm.... it depends. It depends on what else I could have spent my money on.  Three “happy ending” massages at the local parlor? One heck of a night at the Pub. Two Arocs sets used off Brick Link?  

I will say it is a tad bit pricey for an object whose sole purpose in life it to look good on a shelf and collect dust, which kind of makes all the arguments about saggy suspension, friction monster W16, Bad turning radius, etcetera, etcetera moot. 

I see both sides. One one hand, it has interesting solutions to the gearbox issues from the Porsche, 4x4 and some nice building technics. The packaging and whole buying experience has also been a step up. Has there ever been a launch with so much additonal material and attention to detail?

On the other hand, there is no getting round that price, except for North America, where it seems better value. There are still fundamental flaws with the gearbox (perpetual upshifting and downshifting, the white clutch), the front end is not great in terms of trueness to the original. Those could have been forgiven had it cost 300 euros or less but I think people are entitled to expect perfection at the price Lego is charging them.

I’m certainly not in the hate camp. I’m impressed with the overall resemblance and it packs more functions than expected. I am very much looking forward to building it one day, but I will wait for the price to become “reasonable” on amazon or with Christmas in a super market promotion. It is 400 EUR on the Lego shop ...

For me the premium look and feel and corresponding pricing are not necessary. I am interested in the building and technic functions. I would rather have a cheaper model without the fancy box and booklet, but that’s probably my Dutch origins ... :wink:

I would identify myself as an average consumer for TLG products. I look for a fun building experience as well as a beautiful display piece. Interesting functions and new building techniques as well as the premium packaging which all enhance the feeling of the build. I am really happy with how this product came out and I bought the Chiron day one of release. I tend to be forgiving of the imperfections of the model which are being discussed. All models in my opinion have flaws. 8880 had too much play in the wheels and couldn't be driven straight, steering wasn't smooth, but I still loved the model as a child.

I would be bothered if the front suspension is really sinking to the ground. Hopefully when I finish my model it won't be too bad.

Why not combine the gearblock with the spoiler? gear one spoiler is fully retracted and at eight gear fully engaged or on brake mode.

4 minutes ago, efferman said:

Why not combine the gearblock with the spoiler? gear one spoiler is fully retracted and at eight gear fully engaged or on brake mode.

Great idea, I don't know how difficult it is to route the main gear shifter axle in the center all the way to the back.

Well I love it and can hardly wait to buy it. Are there things that could be improved? Depends on your point of view. From my point of view, as I dislike the Mack style of engine, and because they had to make many new parts for this set already, there's not much they could reasonably be expected to do better. Perhaps make the wheels a tiny bit bigger to accommodate 8880 size steering arms and Ackerman geometry, but that's about it. And yes, I like the solution they chose for the rear wing. Would be cool to have it work off a fake brake pedal, but I'm just happy they didn't leave out a proper gearbox in favour of a crappy motorised spoiler! Are there things that could be improved for technic secret weapon number 3, when they can release a whole new batch of new parts? Absolutely, I can think of loads and loads! But that doesn't and shouldn't in any way detract from this set. Knowing that they'll probably be thinking about what to do next already I'll be sure to get my suggestions in now (we want larger 8880 style CV joints (for larger steering angle and higher load capacity) and 8880 sized steering arms for Ackerman geometry, improved handling, less wobblyness and higher quality feel to the steering, larger and stronger diff based on a 36t double bevel as seen in radbot's brickshelf custom parts folder and more sizes of clutch gear :grin:). But that's a far off future. For know I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo excited to get my hands on secret weapon 2, 42083, the mighty Bugatti Chiron. 

Well. I finished my Bugatti model late last night. My overall impressions were that it seemed that I was building a model by 2 people, a Lego designer and an AFOL. Most of the build was enjoyable, but there were some instances where I was rolling my eyes. The gearbox is obviously the star of the show, but I don't care for the shifting system under the steering wheel. It seems like a step back from the Porsche in that area. My front suspension is non existent which just completely disgusts me(and yes, I have it built correctly) The doors seemed like they were built by an amateur and I hate the use of the panels(again) for mirrors. And also, why couldn't Lego make a 3L bush pin in blue to match the door so that we do not have a light blue gray piece that sticks out like a sore thumb? It also seems like a lot of stacked beams in the front of the chassis which isn't very "Lego Like" I also hate the ugly gaps under the 3 x 11 curved panels on the roof. The use of these panels seems to be hit and miss. They also do not flow with the wheel arch parts. Also I am quite surprised that Bugatti didn't ask Lego to place the rear brake caliper in the correct position. And I don't even want to get into all of the stickers. I hate using them, but in order to continue the swoosh on the bottom, a sticker is needed. *huh*

Let's hope they can get the suspension figured out for the next car in 2020.  :laugh:

Edited by Meatman

2 minutes ago, Meatman said:

The doors seemed like they were built by an amateur 

Not sure if Markus Kossman is an amateur though

Just now, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Not sure if Markus Kossman is an amateur though

No one that designed this car is supposed to be an amateur. Maybe he is just not good at building doors, because they are quite poor in design.

Sounds like its getting a serious slating since I looked on this thread on Friday not read all posts lol, I think with every new lego or technic there is always something one thinks why did they do that or not do that, but imagine all sorts of reasons as to why.  I will be waiting until a better price to.  Will be hoping steindrucker does printed pieces to.

16 minutes ago, Meatman said:

No one that designed this car is supposed to be an amateur. Maybe he is just not good at building doors, because they are quite poor in design.

He probably is not a "Amateur", Just new to the company.

11 minutes ago, Aventador2004 said:

He probably is not a "Amateur", Just new to the company.

Markus Kossman is an elder statesman of the Technic department. He designed the mighty mobile crane back in 2005, which was the first recognized flagship set. He also did 8110, 42043 and 42055 to name but a few.

Edited by Maaboo35
A 9 is not a 0!

Just now, Maaboo35 said:

Markus Kossman is an elder statesman of the Technic department. He designed the mighty mobile crane back in 2005, which was the first recognized flagship set. He also did 8110, 42043 and 42055 to name but a few.

I meant Aurelien Rouffiange.

Just now, Aventador2004 said:

I meant Aurelien Rouffiange.

Nope, he's been there since 2009. He's mostly done small stuff like 42061, but he's been known to go bigger (42038).

4 hours ago, AVCampos said:

Hmm, indeed on mine the suspension does sag, but not completely: it goes up a bit again. The springs aren't vertical:

https://imgur.com/a/RgOQrPw

I wonder if you can move the suspension spring to the inner hole so that it is vertical, it may be a solution to the sag. 

Just now, ctx1769 said:

I wonder if you can move the suspension spring to the inner hole so that it is vertical, it may be a solution to the sag. 

No, that will make it even softer. See mods and improvements thread.

21 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

The biggest model Aurelien did before the Chiron is the 2981-piece Mobile Aggregate Plant. 

I'm surprised the Chiron wasn't orange, given that it's Rou's favourite colour. :grin:

34 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

I'm surprised the Chiron wasn't orange, given that it's Rou's favourite colour. :grin:

You remember that dig they made in the Sariel interview about the 911 then? "We have one guy who only wants to build in orange."