21 minutes ago, Paul Boratko said:

Actually I was talking about the 20 tooth blue clutch gear and the 24 tooth gear meshing at the shifter... They do not quite mesh all the way... This was something that was pointed out to me in one of my mocs a few years back, and since then I have avoided ever doing that again...

I saw this also, and was wondering if that combination was "legal". It looks like maybe 2/3 of regular meshing. 

43 minutes ago, Rikus said:

@Jim

May you, please, answer the three main questions about the model, in your review?

I will answer these questions, but I have yet to receive the set, so my review won’t be online any time soon :(

Podcast als confirms brake discs WILL be used in other sets. Probably the next supercar, lol.

Edited by valenciaeric

@Jim, Chirons, Chirons, everywhere, but not a set to build... I say, take @Sariel‘s from the live build and toss it off the top of Lego House, that would re-kit it pretty quickly. :laugh:

Is he done yet? When I left he was only just beginning...

04E53BB9-1FF5-4668-BC23-1BB1DA1BD19F.jpeg

6h20 build time not including breaks and that was with a few mistakes. He did get help to sort the parts though.

Edited by valenciaeric

51 minutes ago, Rikus said:

@Jim

May you, please, answer the three main questions about the model, in your review?

1) Is there really a problem on the front suspension?

2) Does it have 8+R or 8+8R shifts gear?

3) Are the 8 gears in the right order?

1) Actually, me and Jim both have taken a close look at the Chiron set LEGO put together as decoration for our interview with LEGO and Bugatti designers, it was right there in the spotlight and guess what, the front end was pretty much touching the ground.

2) As far as I can determine it's 8+R.

3) Impossible to say without calculating ratios for each speed and I had no time to do that. Pretty sure someone else will do it sooner than I possibly can.

I see Sariel just published his review, so I am sure you will find your answers there!

And I would like to post here that I met Pawel for the first time offline and I can tell you he is a great guy! Too bad we had so little time. Would have loved to have more time.

</bromance>

Just now, Jim said:

</bromance>

Awww Jim <3

On the live build topic: yes, we clocked it at 6h 20m with a few minor building errors none of which showed on the outside or interfered with model's functions. I did have a help, but I also had plenty of people coming up and asking questions, as well as short breaks and a lot of pressure on me. Far from ideal building conditions, as far as I'm concerned.

I left the Chiron we've built with the media guys and asked them to try and get it signed by LEGO and Bugatti people, then auction it for charity. I don't know if it's going to happen, but I'm strongly hoping it will.

My copy goes back up when pressed down on the front, but not fully back up. I find it kinda acceptable, as when real cars are resting on their wheels their suspensions are also partially depressed. What I don't like in the front is that the left wheel can rub against the gear shifting mechanism when turning left.

Just now, Sariel said:

Awww Jim <3

On the live build topic: yes, we clocked it at 6h 20m with a few minor building errors none of which showed on the outside or interfered with model's functions. I did have a help, but I also had plenty of people coming up and asking questions, as well as short breaks and a lot of pressure on me. Far from ideal building conditions, as far as I'm concerned.

I left the Chiron we've built with the media guys and asked them to try and get it signed by LEGO and Bugatti people, then auction it for charity. I don't know if it's going to happen, but I'm strongly hoping it will.

Thanks for a very entertaining build and review.It seems Lego really stepped up the promo for this set.

Regarding #1: I did notice this in the press room...

It does seem to have a problem in this pic.

58DC55C9-B575-484E-A221-DBB7440816CE.jpeg

Okay, I can’t wait any longer... I’m about to watch $177 dollars in value disappear in the blink of 4 Lego seals... I’m wondering where final boxing was done on my set here in USA... does it smell like Billund or someplace in Mexico? Not sure...

Just now, Bublehead said:

Okay, I can’t wait any longer... I’m about to watch $177 dollars in value disappear in the blink of 4 Lego seals... I’m wondering where final boxing was done on my set here in USA... does it smell like Billund or someplace in Mexico? Not sure...

The letter on the seals will tell you. M was Mexico IIRC.

2 hours ago, AVCampos said:

Now that the set has been officially presented and all the details could be unveiled, I believe all those leakers out there should ask themselves: "was it that much worth it to spoil this for everyone?"

I honestly don’t think I care that they got leaked because it meant I got to see what it looked like a week early, so for me it was worth it. It was a dumb move on TLG’s behalf to send them out to stores before reveal and not expect them to try sell it early, especially since it happens so often.

Also guys, check out S@H for Canada. It’s $400CAD. Here in Australia it’s $600. Our exchange rates are 1:1.

What the absolute hell? I swear we get ripped off for pricing.

Edited by Bartybum

Ok, after opening up the box and drooling over the packaging, I have been scanning the instructions and my first thought is, this build is as dense a build that I think I have ever seen in a Technic model. It is no wonder the suspension has trouble, this thing is close to 30 studs wide if not wider and the beams just keep going and going... definitely not got a lot of playability but I think the real car is function with form, the Technic version is form with (some) functions.  You can argue wether the form is good or bad, but my bet is this is meant as a display piece, not a play set.  The new rotary catch is interesting... but the paddle shifter design went backwards in my mind.  I didn’t really like the 911 paddles, but they were there, they mostly worked if you messed with it, but the Chiron solution is, shall we say, the same but different, and not in a good way.  At least the space were the drivers feet should go was mostly there in the 911. So paddle shifter location and initial impression is, yeah it’s there, but wouldn’t you have like to see a brake pedal that deployed the speed brake instead?

Edited by Bublehead
Spelling

9 hours ago, Jurss said:

Get some more info about Chirons, then Youll get clue, why it is so. @Sheepo

I don't need clues to know how something is wrong designed, I know perfectly the specs of the chiron, and a suspension with no travel is not one of them.

9 hours ago, brunojj1 said:

Thanks for issuing your personal opinion, man! Why are you sad about it? You can be proud of it :thumbup:. Btw. I agree and disagree. These are different eras with different parts and focuses. Yours is executed best way in that time, no question. However, the overall looks with panels are more realistic and more pleasant to most of the people IMO. The comparison lags at some point.

Why does the gearbox fail in your opinion? At least we can be happy to experiment ourselves with the new parts and "improve" everything.

Suspension of the Chiron: aren´t there 2 hard yellow springs instead of 1 like we have in the Porsche? Still too heavy means on the positive hand good weight distribution between, but shocks being mounted at different angles on the axles. 

I personally even don´t mind if the room for improvements would be given deliberately, after having made peace with the predecessor :laugh:. Take it as a challenge for yourself, I`m sure you did already :wink:!

Probably the comparison is not fair in some points, but it was a fast way to show my sadness about one more lost opportunity to do a really complete Lego supercar. My Veyron is very outdated, 9 years of new parts and building technics is a very long time.

I am sad because I think that they did really good job in some parts of the car, for example the rear end, the gearbox is brilliant with the new "wave" gear selector, and I love all new parts :wub:.

But if the information that some people have said here is true, about the gears sequential order is not the correct, like happened with the porsche two years ago is a huge fail that Lego should not do. LTG has fantastic designers, time and resources to avoid these problems.

I am very sure that the problem with the suspension is not the shock absorbers, the problem is the geometry that they have with the suspension arms. The car is not heavy enough to compress 8 hard spring shock absorbers in the correct position. To compare my Porsche 911 have only 1 hard spring on each front wheel and 1 hard and 1 soft in the rear, the car is probably over 1Kg heavier than the Chiron, and the suspension with the weight of the car is compressed around 50% of the travel.

I have never done a MOD before, but I am thinking seriously about do it with the Chiron, too many cool improvements very easy to do with it...:wink:

Honestly, I was hoping in the looks department it would be black and blue not dark blue and light blue. Lego keeps diversifying their color pallet instead of offering more options in already existing colors builders are looking for. However, the new mechanical components look quite useful.

8 hours ago, Paul Boratko said:

Actually I was talking about the 20 tooth blue clutch gear and the 24 tooth gear meshing at the shifter... They do not quite mesh all the way... This was something that was pointed out to me in one of my mocs a few years back, and since then I have avoided ever doing that again...

Here's an illustration of the shifter layout. The 20t and 24t indeed mesh a bit shallow.

800x450.jpg

11 hours ago, Meatman said:

What is this gear meshing technique that you are referring to? In the Bugatti? Or in general?

Edited by Didumos69

6 hours ago, Sheepo said:

I have never done a MOD before, but I am thinking seriously about do it with the Chiron, too many cool improvements very easy to do with it...:wink:

800x1003.jpg