In my opinion, the spoiler raised by the key is made totally in purpouse. My point is the real car is extraordinary in many ways, and one of them is the second key. So why not TLG to emphasise on it (the key) even making it functional on the model ?!

About the faults of the model - I bought the Porsche mainly because of the topic here in the forum with all the mods and improvements, made by the EB community. 

So I am buying the Chiron too.

Great interview, great model, great show.

Although I will have to wait a little to get the Chiron, this event makes this day a special day. Thank you Lego.

27 minutes ago, Friscorays said:

He is moving really fast.  Consummation can not be far off....

There’s a tailpipe joke in here somewhere D:

You lucky peeps. I couldn't buy the Porsche let alone the Bugatti and had to settle for the stupid Rally Car because the 24 hours was out of stock. SO DANG FRUSTRATING. I want the 42056 and 42083 and any other UC Cars released down to road so I can say i owned all of them but with the 42056 about to retired that aint happening. 

@Jack Bloomer, I found a used 911 on Craigslist a year ago for $180... the Chiron will be cheaper used around this time next year. And used 911’s might be easier to find when people sell them to buy the Chiron. Keep an eye on CL my friend.

Just now, Bublehead said:

@Jack Bloomer, I found a used 911 on Craigslist a year ago for $180... the Chiron will be cheaper used around this time next year. And used 911’s might be easier to find when people sell them to buy the Chiron. Keep an eye on CL my friend.

Good idea I should but half the people I looked on eBay and brick link seemed shady. How do you which are trustworthy or not?

According to Woodman the reason the rim sticks out of the tyre is to make the wheel look bigger. Bugatti wants the wheel to be bigger but according its dimensions have to stay within the system.

3 hours ago, Meatman said:

When I first built my Porsche, the suspension worked a little, but over time, it completely lost all of it's spring.

Ok, just tested with mine as well which has been on the shelf for over a year, just sitting there and the suspension is still working fine. Perhaps I got a lucky few good springs in my Porsche or maybe it is because I didn't heavily mod my Porsche (basically most things from the basic errata). So I got no HOGs or other cool "pimped features" adding weight on the model/front.

3 hours ago, Kumbbl said:

IMHO this front suspension in Sariels Video drags in fact on the ground and has more or less zero travel after fully compressing ... so THIS front suspension IS a problem - as that one of the Porsche was too ... 

maybe the shock absorbers have a small stiffness range so the problem occurs not everywhere (i.e.  in all 42056) in the same manifestation but overall the front axle of the Porsche is an inadequate design - how the front axle/suspension should perform is shown by @Didumos69 errata or @jb70 wonderful Porsche pimpup...

and the Bugatti has the same inherent problem.... at least judged by the video... 

Ok setlle down, as I mentioned above this is one of the few problems I didn't have with the Porsche and didn't like the modded solution one bit (too much ground clearance for a race car and iirc, different rake). However after seeing the full video from Sariel, I agree that it is a problem for the Chiron, but even Sariel points out it might be a building error. So until I see more reviews mentioning the same issue I want to reserve judgement on this point.

The live building just finished and at the end you can clearly see that Sariel was trying to hide that dysfunction of the front suspension. That's bad...

I can also write that my Porsche do not have any problems with the front suspension, however I had to modify that after I add engines (XL and Servo) under the hood with the small battery box on the sport bag place. It was necessary to replace them to harder red one and mount wheels one stud lower.
I hope that solution for Bugatti will be as simple as in Porsche, but it doesn't look good when such a pricey model has such a big flaw.

I'll wait to build it myself to see the front suspension but it does appear to "stick". Maybe a change in springs or pins can make it better. I saw some other videos earlier today where it didn't look that way and seemed like there was minimal sag

Some of you must have gotten lucky with the springs in your Porsche models, because I have already changed out the original shocks in my wife's Porsche with brand new ones, and the front is touching the ground.. My best friend also has the Porsche and his front is scarping the ground as well.. The only "mods" any of have is switching the gears around so the car shifts in the correct order...

Coincidentally, I had build a car moc not long ago and used red shocks, and they didn't seem to be holding up as well as I felt that they should... When I switched them out with yellow ones, they seemed to work much better.. Very bizarre...

Edited by Paul Boratko

Replacing the blue 3L friction pins by tan frictionless could be worth a try for the Chiron - could be that friction prevents the front from coming up after compressing...

Edited by Kumbbl

One of the questions that I hope would be asked was why the designer used so many friction pins in the suspension... I was told several times in the past that was not something that TLG would not do...

There is also a gear meshing technique that I was wondering about...

Edited by Paul Boratko

As someone mentioned earlier, it's possible it can also do the opposite (keep the car from sagging even more). Either way, few hours till some of us find out I'd assume

3 minutes ago, SheldonF said:

As someone mentioned earlier, it's possible it can also do the opposite (keep the car from sagging even more). Either way, few hours till some of us find out I'd assume

That is possible, but once you depress the car (to show off the fancy suspension to your mates), that suddenly turns into a huge disadvantage. If lego did this to "fix" already sagging suspension, they basically took a technic feature and ruined it to the point of the car just being a display model.

Either way, friction has no place in suspenion components, especially since lego spring generally arent tuned/tunable to have the car sit halfway through the travel, and hence bounce isnt possible (and damping/friction isnt needed)

Regardless if friction is involved (either way) or a too high spreading in the shock-production: a well done Lego axle should be based on an adequate geometry and therefore should be somehow tolerant for a slight stiffness bandwidth and should of course in no way have to much friction or - even worse - rely on a certain amount of friction - all friction pins have different friction force..

the TLG designer responsible for the Chiron should't invest all his brainpower into the gearbox monster but should have left something over for other important components of a well working car, e.g. A front axle- which is IMHO almost more important for good playability than the gearbox... 

but as already said: playability seems to have not the highest priority for these UCS cars.., and for just being beauty on the shelf you can also build in a spewed out axle design... doesn't matter then...

Edited by Kumbbl

Looks like it will be very difficult to separate the body from the chassis to see the best part of the car (the gearbox)

13 minutes ago, Paul Boratko said:

One of the questions that I hope would be asked was why the designer used so many friction pins in the suspension... I was told several times in the past that was not something that TLG would not do...

The Williams F1 has several friction pins in the suspension. The front does not pop back up.

This is interesting, love how the guy from Bugatti pushed for mechanical interest over just looks. Is this the interview that @Jim gathered questions for?

Edited by allanp

No, they were not available for @Jim

24:30 was my question :thumbup:

Edited by Aventador2004

I have done several cars most of them in 1:10 scale and I never have had problems with my suspensions always working with only one spring, sometimes after the first configuration I have changed things to improve the working but in a 1:8 scale cars with 2 springs ans soo many space I still don´t understand at all this type of problems and I can say exactly the same with the gearbox. I learned a lot when I was a child with the Lego gearboxes and I feel that the child of today won´t can say the the same. Time ago Technic wasn´t just about aesthetics, the showcases are doing a lot of damage to those who play.

6 months to design an element *huh*
The guys at the design department don't have a very stressful job:laugh:

Edited by Lipko

1 hour ago, Paul Boratko said:

Some of you must have gotten lucky with the springs in your Porsche models, because I have already changed out the original shocks in my wife's Porsche with brand new ones, and the front is touching the ground.. My best friend also has the Porsche and his front is scarping the ground as well.. The only "mods" any of have is switching the gears around so the car shifts in the correct order...

Coincidentally, I had build a car moc not long ago and used red shocks, and they didn't seem to be holding up as well as I felt that they should... When I switched them out with yellow ones, they seemed to work much better.. Very bizarre...

Try to change springs from yellow shock to red if you want original-like looking setup :wink:

2 hours ago, Appie said:

Ok, just tested with mine as well which has been on the shelf for over a year, just sitting there and the suspension is still working fine. Perhaps I got a lucky few good springs in my Porsche or maybe it is because I didn't heavily mod my Porsche (basically most things from the basic errata). So I got no HOGs or other cool "pimped features" adding weight on the model/front.

Ok setlle down, as I mentioned above this is one of the few problems I didn't have with the Porsche and didn't like the modded solution one bit (too much ground clearance for a race car and iirc, different rake). However after seeing the full video from Sariel, I agree that it is a problem for the Chiron, but even Sariel points out it might be a building error. So until I see more reviews mentioning the same issue I want to reserve judgement on this point.

I didn't add any mods to my Porsche that added any weight at all and my suspension has been bottomed out since I built it. I highly doubt an experienced builder like Sariel made any building errors in the Chiron considering the suspension looks to be fairly straight forward in construction in the instructions that have been posted online.

What I would like to know is If Bugatti was so anal about the functions of the model, then why were they not concerned with having the suspension design at least somewhat similar to the real thing?

This discussion about shocks malfunction reminds me that the last time we saw 9.5L extra hard shock absorbers was 5 (!) years ago. Something tells me that replacing a pair of common 6.5L ones with one 9.5L wouldn't result in any significant rise of production costs, but alas, not this time (again).