15 minutes ago, Kumbbl said:

ouhhh ... from the German review linked above the tested gear sequence:

"1. Gang → 6. Gang → 7. Gang → 8. Gang → 5. Gang → 2. Gang → 3. Gang → 4. Gang."

Translation : Gang = gear

this sounds not promising if the builder has built it correctly....

@Didumos69, i already see your errata on the horizon ;)

Sariel didn't mention wrong gear sequence in his review but he did mention 16 gears which I assume means they 8FWD and 8REV + a Rev with selector in cabin.

2 minutes ago, technic_addict said:

User Jurss posted this video one hour ago ... 

37 minutes ago, Kumbbl said:

"1. Gang → 6. Gang → 7. Gang → 8. Gang → 5. Gang → 2. Gang → 3. Gang → 4. Gang."

Translation : Gang = gear

22 minutes ago, technic_addict said:

In the official video it says 8 gears, but in the mentioned review from @Sariel he speaks about 16 + R!

So what is correct now?

Edited by Milan
Removed quoted video.

Just now, tripletschiee said:

In the official video it says 8 gears, but in the mentioned review from @Sariel he speaks about 16 + R!

So what is correct now?

Look at Sariel's comment in the video detail box where he corrects himself. He probably just didn't have enough time to fix the video.

8 minutes ago, tripletschiee said:

Based on the pictures we have there are 4 x 4 = 16 different gears. It could be that the secondary gear unit has only two different gear ratios. that way we get 4 x 2 = 8 different gear ratios

I would love a @Blakbird render of this gearbox :grin:

PS: What official video? Seems i missed something.

Edited by schraubedrin

Listening to podcast now, part 4.

Gearbox designer calls new orange piece "a wave selector gear". Should we stick to this name?

@Sariel: thanks for very informative review...

main disappointment for me: sagging front suspension - and doubt sariel has build it wrong because Porsche has the same issue when correctly build  - this is really a no go IMHO, which should not pass internal QA of TLG...

overall: awesome look, great new parts, (very) well done single solutions but overall out of the box just a display model... 

as with the Porsche: is crying for MODs, maybe not as loud as the 911 but definitely crying... ;)

Edited by Kumbbl

25 minutes ago, ShowsOn said:

Look at Sariel's comment in the video detail box where he corrects himself. He probably just didn't have enough time to fix the video.

Oh, right! I missed that! Thanks!

45 minutes ago, Kumbbl said:

sagging front suspension

Unless it is left with zero suspension travel after the sagging, then it is exactly how normal real suspension works, so I don't see the problem. This is one of the things I didn't "fix" on my Porsche either. 

1 minute ago, Appie said:

Unless it is left with zero suspension travel after the sagging, then it is exactly how normal real suspension works, so I don't see the problem. This is one of the things I didn't "fix" on my Porsche either. 

Disagree... on real life a suspension sags a certain travel when resting. So a wheel can absorb bumps as well as potholes... but in no way a real suspension doesn't come up to its rest state after being fully compressed - and exactly this misbehavior is shown by the front axle in Sariels vid ... well I do not expect a lego suspension to behave as a real suspension but I do expect that it can handle the car weight and is not completely under dimensioned... and exactly this is the Porsche front suspension (and it seems (at least) also the Bugatti one): not able to handle the car weight  and therefore useless...

Spoiler operated with an external tool?

Looks weird, frustrating and pathetic. Is that the best TLG could do? Like REALLY?

Edited by Omikron

Mmmm.. live build is... under whelming. Probably because building is something you do, not watch. Nothing against the @Sariel at all, its just the concept of watching a build. Vicarious lego? Doesn't work for me.

2 minutes ago, Omikron said:

Spoiler operated with external tool?

Looks weird, frustrating and pathetic. Is that the best TLG could do? Like REALLY?

Real Chiron requires a second key to enter top speed mode, which amongst other things puts the rear spoiler into correct position.  I imagine the key used to change position of the spoiler on the model is a nod to that.

Just now, Friscorays said:

Real Chiron requires a second key to enter top speed mode, which amongst other things puts the rear spoiler into correct position.  I imagine the key used to change position of the spoiler on the model is a nod to that.

Do you have to go outside the car and stick a  shaft under the wheel and crank it up?

1 hour ago, ibessonov said:

Listening to podcast now, part 4.

Gearbox designer calls new orange piece "a wave selector gear". Should we stick to this name?

maybe, sounds like it might end up being the name used for it..

Right, I'm looking at this and thinking, can I buy this set and another GTR 911 and use the panels from this for the GTR as I love the colour scheme, I think a GTR in blue like this would look fantastic.. Could be expensive lol hopefully bricklink gets the panels and there is the ones needed to change the GTR from orange to blue.. 

4 minutes ago, Omikron said:

Do you have to go outside the car and stick a  shaft under the wheel and crank it up?

Nope... but its much bigger, with a real engine that burns petrol. The lego one doesn't do that either, but its a model made of plastic bricks.. so all things considered inserting it behind the wheel isn't exactly a deal breaker is it?!! :wacko:

So the front suspension is dead right out of the box? Are you kidding me? :hmpf_bad:

It looks just as bad as the Porsche. 

14 minutes ago, Omikron said:

Spoiler operated with an external tool?

I found this rather underwhelming as well. There seems to be much to love about this model and a few things that seem to be discouraging. 

30 minutes ago, Appie said:

My Porsche front suspension literally drags on the ground.

4 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

@Appie, @Meatman, the DNR looks like this. The 16t clutch gear is for reverse and the 20t clutch gear is for the gearbox. The axle with the 16t gear runs from rear diff to front diff (without center diff). The outpout of the gearbox runs back to the same axle at the other end of the gearbox (that was what you meant right, @Meatman?). The 24t with clutch appears to be part of the engine - DNR drive train. I don't understand why.

800x450.jpg

Yes that is exactly what I was talking about.

The engine must create a lot of friction if they needed to add a clutch gear just for it.

Just now, TeamThrifty said:

Nope... but its much bigger, with a real engine that burns petrol. The lego one doesn't do that either, but its a model made of plastic bricks.. so all things considered inserting it behind the wheel isn't exactly a deal breaker is it?!! :wacko:

Pretty much it is I would say. I'm 100% sure TLG designers could've made a small switch or insert-able axle-pin in the cabin. But this type of implementation looks horrendous. Like a 3AM decision before the morning deadline - Oh sh** we forgot about the spoiler! Quick, grab something to crank it up!

TLG designed and put couple of new parts like gears and selectors etc, but was unable to do a better job with a spoiler?  8070 had a better spoiler than this!!!

I think for these ucs cars they need an even stiffer shock though at that stage it may only have 4mm of travel :grin:

I like the new gearbox parts. especially that 90deg shift ring.

I hope they will be in other sets too.

Edited by J_C

1 minute ago, Omikron said:

Pretty much it is I would say. I'm 100% sure TLG designers could've made a small switch or insert-able axle-pin in the cabin. But this type of implementation looks horrendous. Like a 3AM decision before the morning deadline - Oh sh** we forgot about the spoiler! Quick, grab something to crank it up!

TLG designed and put couple of new parts like gears and selectors etc, but was unable to do a better job with a spoiler?  8070 had a better spoiler than this!!!

The spoiler is not spring loaded so you need mechanical advantage to rotate the gear. Also if you put it in the cabin you have that massive engine and gearbox to route through I doubt there is one. so it would be a knob on the side. which is what we have but it's removable.

7 minutes ago, Cardboy said:

I think for these ucs cars they need an even stiffer shock though at that stage it may only have 4mm of travel :grin:

I once built a scale model of a plane with camo pattern in 1:72 scale. The camo colors were literally 1 mm different in height. I always wondered if it was a real plane - would the pilot trip over the 7 cm layer of paint on the wing :laugh:

3 minutes ago, Cardboy said:

The spoiler is not spring loaded so you need mechanical advantage to rotate the gear. Also if you put it in the cabin you have that massive engine and gearbox to route through I doubt there is one. so it would be a knob on the side. which is what we have but it's removable.

Of course you have to route - this is a designers job! This is why it looks so bad, as if there was no designing involved and they just slapped this at the very last minute. A knob on the side is just as bad as current solution. It could be done with a worm gear, it doesn't even need to be spring loaded.

Edited by Omikron