1 minute ago, Tommy Styrvoky said:

Couldn't find a part count for the clutch gears

6 hours ago, AndroTech said:

Here is the parts list and few other pictures ... enjoy ...

800x533.jpg

Just now, Didumos69 said:

so 2 in the transmission, and one for the bracing of the front and rear differentials, the new driving ring extension looks interesting too.

2 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

There's a white clutch gear in the part list. Brace yourself, gerabox stalling is coming.

I noticed that too and had the same bad feeling.

Just now, Anio said:

I'm thinking TLG should stop with the big gearboxes if they can't make one that works.

Just now, Anio said:

Hopefully the clutch gear is just for the engine, though it could just be a failsafe for preventing someone from damaging parts in the drivetrain. if something jams.

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

The new driving ring extension is probably to accept the new clutch gears, since the old one doesn't work.

I had a chat with Paul earlier this week and he said the gearbox shifting is nowhere near as cool as the Porsche. He also said this gearbox is way better than the Porsche, only complaint being the lack of a center diff. I won't spoil anything else, it's only two more days and you can see for yourself :grin:

3 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

There's a white clutch gear in the part list. Brace yourself, gerabox stalling is coming. And Didumos will have another chance to save the day!

LOL I think the white clutch gear will somehow absorb wind-up caused by the absence of a center differential.

1 minute ago, Maaboo35 said:

I'm thinking TLG should stop with the big gearboxes if they can't make one that works.

TLG could make life so much easier just by making more variations of regular gears with clutch gears, it would simplify it a lot. Though the extra added costs to make molds, maybe some day we will see a full lineup of clutch gears. Hopefully at least one per supercar set, as that would be justifiable.

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

18 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Not really:

- The Dark Azure pallet lacks 3x7 panels (#3, #4), 2x5 panels (#21, #22), 15L liftarm, 3L liftarm, angled liftarm.

- The Dark Blue pallet  lacks 3x7 panels (#3, #4), angled liftarm

Bugatti has panels #21 and #22 in Dark Azure

TLG could make life so much easier just by making more variations of regular gears with clutch gears

I would understand if they release 24z gear that can engage with driving ring, but larger ones? Like with 36 or 40 gears? They are too big to be used in gearboxes.

I wonder how fragile the orange swirly cam-thingy is?  Could be another disaster in the works like the 1L worm gear was.  SInce the model isn't motorized, might be OK, but I would be cautious using it in a motorized gearbox.

2 minutes ago, ibessonov said:

I would understand if they release 24z gear that can engage with driving ring, but larger ones? Like with 36 or 40 gears? They are too big to be used in gearboxes.

yeah at least a 24z, maybe a 12z is possible, and maybe a 28z gear.

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

14 minutes ago, Tommy Styrvoky said:

so 2 in the transmission, and one for the bracing of the front and rear differentials, the new driving ring extension looks interesting too.

Perhaps, although I think the blue clutch gears are not only for better bracing the diffs. That should not be needed if static bracing is okay. I think for the rear differential the blue gear is used to route reverse underneath the differential while bypassing the gearbox and for the front differential the blue clutch gear is used to involve the front differental in the same routing. For the differentials the blue clutch gears are only preferred over normal 20t gears, because they are secured better with 3L frictionless pins than normal ones attached to an axle.

Edited by Didumos69

yeah at least a 24z, maybe a 12z is possible.

12z - impossible :laugh:

They might also release 28z, this would be awesome! But I have no ideas for its usage

Edited by ibessonov

Just now, ibessonov said:

They might also release 28z, this would be awesome! But I have no ideas for its usage

We already have a 28z. It's called "small turntable."

1 minute ago, Didumos69 said:

I think the blue clutch gears are not only for better bracing the diffs. That should not be needed if static bracing is okay

I think that 2 gears are for gearbox and another 2 are for us, because we want more new pieces. Remember Porsche with new red 3L connectors? It required only 2 of them but provided 11.

Just now, Ngoc Nguyen said:

We already have a 28z. It's called "small turntable."

I mean 28z that can engage with driving ring.

3 minutes ago, ibessonov said:

it would behave similarly to a differential, though it may be unlikely, as it would be for 90° only in most cases. a 12z may be possible, looking at some of Efferman's stuff on Shapeways, he did a 10z, so 12z could be possible, though it may be too weak.

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

1 minute ago, ibessonov said:

I think that 2 gears are for gearbox and another 2 are for us, because we want more new pieces. Remember Porsche with new red 3L connectors? It required only 2 of them but provided 11.

I hope so! There's for sure one used for the rear differential. Here you can also see there's also a normal 20t gear at the other side of the diff.

800x450.jpg

I mean 28z that can engage with driving ring.

...Buys entire set to just part out transmission, and engineers an entirely new 8 speed  for it with other more obtainable parts... or better yet, just build the model without the transmission and keep the special parts for yourself... As for most people this set will just sit in some display cabinet, and for the others that try to motorize it will probably be disappointed in performance of the transmission.

Just now, Didumos69 said:

Here you can also see there's also a normal 20t gear at the other side of the diff.

It's directly connected to the main driving shaft (I hope it's the right term). I know I posted it already but no one noticed :laugh: Here's LDD file with my reverse engineering of the gearbox, I base my expectations on it: https://www.bricksafe.com/files/ibessonov/misc/42083-gearbox-1.lxf

or better yet, just build the model without the transmission and keep the special parts for yourself

Similar to what I did with Porsche - "stealed" 4 new connectors replacing them with 2L connectors on longer axles with additional bushings.

50 minutes ago, Tommy Styrvoky said:

Hopefully the clutch gear is just for the engine, though it could just be a failsafe for preventing someone from damaging parts in the drivetrain. if something jams.

I had heard that it was in fact for all of the friction that the many moving parts of the engine create. Quite coincidental considering Paul had mentioned fake engine friction in a recent gearbox article he wrote for Hispabricks magazine. :sceptic:

Edited by Meatman

It's directly connected to the main driving shaft (I hope it's the right term). 

The tan one is, but the blue one could be used for routing reverse underneath the diff.

4 minutes ago, ibessonov said:

I know I posted it already but no one noticed :laugh: Here's LDD file with my reverse engineering of the gearbox, I base my expectations on it: https://www.bricksafe.com/files/ibessonov/misc/42083-gearbox-1.lxf

I noticed, but I'm not convinced about all your assumptions.

1 minute ago, Didumos69 said:

but the blue one could be used for routing reverse underneath the diff

This would mean that 12z gear sticks from the bottom a little bit. Sounds unlikely.

2 minutes ago, Didumos69 said:

I'm not convinced about all your assumptions

Well, these are only assumptions so that's fine, it was fun exercise anyway.