21 minutes ago, icm said:

Can someone link to the exact language in the Eurobricks forum guidelines that prohibits pictures like that?  

I'm not being snarky with this quote from the guidelines. It's important to have a catch-all in any policy, and this is it.

"Do not debate staff issues with them. Feel free to make suggestions as we are happy to hear them, but if you are told that something is against policy, the discussion is over."

Since a mod said no early pics many, many times in this thread, then... it's practically a policy as if it was written down.

Has anyone given any though that the driving rings might act in pairs? That is, two rings engaged at the same time make one gear ratio? Just wondering aloud here...

1 hour ago, agrof said:

They do this actually for years, but a label on a box does not make one smarter... I work in packaging industry, I know.

Example:

s-l300.jpg

Oh, wow, what an anemic sticker. I probably wouldn't even read it and get in trouble, because, thats exactly what I did as a teenager. I've since seen some stickers that were much bigger and slapped over the tape so you had to cut through it. Also, sometimes the boxing tape itself was a big, wide, yellow tape with huge red lettering.

Perhaps Lego employees are not used to such things and don't look for it?

Edited by thatrabidhobo
grammarsz

1 hour ago, zux said:

If I get to buy a set (not steal, get for review or any other ways) in a physical store with my money I'm not obligated to follow TLG rules or requests. It is hardly considered as a leak at this point. So I'm struggling to understand all the buzz about it.

1 hour ago, icm said:

The clause against leaks doesn't say anything about sets that you see in the store with your own eyes and photograph with your own camera and buy with your own money.

You are not obligated to follow TLG rules or requests regarding leaks and reveal date. But EB is.
You are free to post those pics on your blog, site, etc. But, not on EB.

----

Guys, we are in the same boat here. We all wait for the reveal. We are all eager to see it.
But please, again, and again, bear in mind that EB has to follow request from TLG about this. So, no pics/videos about Bugatti until the reveal date.

Also, no more debating about removing links, about whether it is a leak or not, etc. So far, three staff members have asked to follow this, and yet, we are still debating this. Let's end it here.
Please, stick to the Bugatti model.
Thanks.

After discovering the new parts for gearbox, can we hope that there’s only one crankshaft for the engine or there will be 3 with some other new parts ?

8 minutes ago, Toitoine said:

After discovering the new parts for gearbox, can we hope that there’s only one crankshaft for the engine or there will be 3 with some other new parts ?

From that first video, I think there will be three. No new parts needed for it. It wil use three 24z gears to drive them.

The rotary cam shifter looks like it would also be good for some starwars greebling, so it's likely it will be released in better colours in future. Hopefully same goes for 20t idler gear.

PS, we have the 16t red clutch gear and the 24t white clutch gear. This is a little confusing. What happens when they release a 24t clutch thats like the 16 and 20 tooth clutch gears but its not a 24t clutch gear, but it's a clutch gear with 24 teeth?! How about we use a new name for the gears that work with a driving ring, like maybe idler gears? Crash gears? Hmmmmm

53 minutes ago, Bublehead said:

Has anyone given any though that the driving rings might act in pairs? That is, two rings engaged at the same time make one gear ratio? Just wondering aloud here...

Yes, I think you're right. I think the gearboxes are so-to-say, "in series"; in that drive goes through the first gearbox (1 driving ring; 2 speeds), and then through the second gearbox (2 driving rings; 4 speeds). What I speculate, is the following:

• Orange selector 1 drives driving rear A and B. These are coupled and at 90 degree offset, so exactly one of A and B is engaged; the other is neutral.
  • Orange selector 2 drives driving ring C. This one will always need to be engaged to have a link between engine and wheels. if C is neutral, the car is in gear N.

Driving ring C is only switched between gears 4 and 5. This results in the following possible combinations:

• A left; B neutral; C left - gear 1
  • A neutral; B left; C left - gear 2
  • A right; B neutral; C left - gear 3
  • A neutral; B right; C left - gear 4
  • A left; B neutral; C right - gear 5
  • A neutral; B left; C right - gear 6
  • A right; B neutral; C right - gear 7
  • A neutral; B right; C right - gear 8

That's how I think things will work. It could of course be that C is the least-signiticant bit instead of the most-significant bit, but this, I think, is the principle. Hopefully, one of these 8 gears will be the reverse. How this would work, I have no idea. But there are people much more acquainted with gearboxes than I am, so maybe someone else could speculate on that.

This is, of course, given the speculation that there are 3 driving rings. Maybe there's a fourth, to handle the Forward/Neutral/Reverse switching.

Edited by Erik Leppen

1 hour ago, jovel said:

From that first video, I think there will be three. No new parts needed for it. It wil use three 24z gears to drive them.

Isn't the 20 tooth blue clutch gear new? And what about that new yellow extension?

1 hour ago, allanp said:

How about we use a new name for the gears that work with a driving ring, like maybe idler gears?

How about renaming the white clutch gear? o_O . "Gear that can no longer transmit any torque, and is buried deep inside the heart of an official set" would be a snappy name. :wink:

Two things @thatrabidhobo, one is it is a double bevel gear with no cross axle hole, but a smooth hole letting it turn independently on an axle. And second it has a driving clutch ring interface on at lease one side allowing it to be used in gearboxes without having to use a red 16z toothed gear first. Hope this helps.

2 hours ago, jovel said:

Looking at the instruction images on the leaked pics, I can only see three driving rings. So no 8 gears but 6 or so?

I can clearly seen 4 driving rings that look to be moved by those new orange shifting parts. There are 2 on top and 2 underneath. There are six red clutch gears and two 20 tooth blue clutch gears being used by them.

Edited by Meatman

As far as naming goes I like White slip gear instead of white clutch gear. That’s my vote because those darn things just slip when they want to. Gears with driving ring interfaces should be called clutch gears, unless they are a diff, then it would be differential w/ clutch interface. Just my $0.02

Does anyone have an idea how that thing below the door is connected to the door?

1 hour ago, Erik Leppen said:

Yes, I think you're right. I think the gearboxes are so-to-say, "in series"; in that drive goes through the first gearbox (1 driving ring; 2 speeds), and then through the second gearbox (2 driving rings; 4 speeds). What I speculate, is the following:

• Orange selector 1 drives driving rear A and B. These are coupled and at 90 degree offset, so exactly one of A and B is engaged; the other is neutral.
  • Orange selector 2 drives driving ring C. This one will always need to be engaged to have a link between engine and wheels. if C is neutral, the car is in gear N.

Driving ring C is only switched between gears 4 and 5. This results in the following possible combinations:

• A left; B neutral; C left - gear 1
  • A neutral; B left; C left - gear 2
  • A right; B neutral; C left - gear 3
  • A neutral; B right; C left - gear 4
  • A left; B neutral; C right - gear 5
  • A neutral; B left; C right - gear 6
  • A right; B neutral; C right - gear 7
  • A neutral; B right; C right - gear 8

That's how I think things will work. It could of course be that C is the least-signiticant bit instead of the most-significant bit, but this, I think, is the principle. Hopefully, one of these 8 gears will be the reverse. How this would work, I have no idea. But there are people much more acquainted with gearboxes than I am, so maybe someone else could speculate on that.

This is, of course, given the speculation that there are 3 driving rings. Maybe there's a fourth, to handle the Forward/Neutral/Reverse switching.

Perhaps reverse is much more simple than we think and doesn't even go through the gearbox at all. I think it would make sense.

4 minutes ago, Meatman said:

Perhaps reverse is much more simple than we think and doesn't even go through the gearbox at all. I think it would make sense.

That would be very cool and quite likely. Jeroen's Aston Martin DB11 has something like that too, and it's definitely something I hadn't seen before.

1 hour ago, Erik Leppen said:

Orange selector 2 drives driving ring C

There are tho driving rings instead of one, but they work synchronously on the same speeds. This way one of them is always engaged, there's no "Neutral" position.

Check out this recreation: https://bricksafe.com/files/ibessonov/misc/42083-gearbox-1.lxf

Edited by ibessonov

33 minutes ago, Bublehead said:

As far as naming goes I like White slip gear instead of white clutch gear. That’s my vote because those darn things just slip when they want to. Gears with driving ring interfaces should be called clutch gears, unless they are a diff, then it would be differential w/ clutch interface. Just my $0.02

I agree.  It took a bit to understand that there are two different types of clutch gears that everyone talks about, especially since I often call the white one a "clutch gear" and the other ones I call "gearbox gears" since that's basically the only place I see them used.

Uniformity of slip gear vs clutch gear would reduce a lot of confusion.

31 minutes ago, Bublehead said:

As far as naming goes I like White slip gear instead of white clutch gear

I think you're right... in a real gearbox, the 'Clutch gears' are called Dogs and Collars - Dogs being the protruding,male, element that locates into the collars. At least in motorbike sequential gearboxes they are... the selector fork locates in a groove in a similar way and some sprockets can spin freely, some are on splines and the sliding and engaging of the dogs selects the gear

But unless dogs and collars are adopted, Slip Gear, or (not much) Friction Gear seems best.