I wonder what ineresrin functions it will have.. It can't be just gearbox and doors/bonnet opening...

1 minute ago, Aleh said:

I wonder what ineresrin functions it will have.. It can't be just gearbox and doors/bonnet opening...

Steering

Suspension

Mecanised tiny wing at the back.

Nothing else to wait imo. Dont forget that this set, as the Porsche was, will be waaaaay overpriced for what it does.

1 minute ago, Aleh said:

That's what I'm wondering. There must be a defining feature, if not, it would be very generic and pointless. The design team needs to make a distinction between it and the Porsche.

The wow factor can be the integrated function between brake pedals, brake calipers, and the rear spoiler. The Jet 42066 managed to get 5 concurrently moving parts working together in a very tight space, so theoretically it's not impossible for another integrated function.

Can't stop thinking about that caliper, here's another possibility. Soon we'll find it out for sure.

disk1.png

3 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

With the new intermediate disc brake pieces there might be so much slack in the wheels, the calipers may engage unintentionally :wink:.

Specially when driving Chiron over rough surfaces like desk in living room or over polish parquet :laugh:

28 minutes ago, ibessonov said:

Can't stop thinking about that caliper, here's another possibility. Soon we'll find it out for sure.

It could look like this, but somehow I think that curved surface will "follow" rim line...or other words curved part will be turned 90 degrees to outside of the wheel in comparison to your solution, but it is good step forward in "brainstorming" for next ten days...

3 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

curved part will be turned 90 degrees to outside of the wheel

You see, caliper has a sticker all over it and we know that TLG doesn't apply stickers over the gap these days.

5b04152b6f6d6_Screenshotfrom2018-05-2216-01-03.jpg.43d93bdcd4a82e0872d8c86272107509.jpg

1 minute ago, ibessonov said:

You see, caliper has a sticker all over it and we know that TLG doesn't apply stickers over the gap these days.

I see what you mean, but it would look more authentic like this

IMG_1730.sized.jpg

Just now, I_Igor said:

but it would look more authentic like this

Absolutely, I'd love to see them this way.

Just now, ibessonov said:

Absolutely, I'd love to see them this way.

I agree, but as I already said you made very good effort to present your solution :thumbup:

All I want is for the brakes be functional, not fake brakes like 42056. That in my opinion would make the set for me personally.

Maybe the new disc brake is integrated with a replacement for the wheel-side of the wheel hub, with far less slack in it. Even better if such a new piece would go hand in hand with a replacement of the CV-joint. A replacement which would allow for more than 20 degree steering angle.

92909.png

I’ve been waiting for almost 25 years for working brakes, ever since the supercar 8880 where it was the only missing functionality. And to date, no brakes.  I am pretty sure that WHATEVER has kept them from making working brakes in the past will continue in the Chiron.

Brakes, at least real ones, cause parts to be rubbed together intentionally, causing friction and heat. Now Technic Lego isn’t going to melt or catch fire but rubbing parts together intentionally which can scratch or abraid the surface is a Lego no no. So if Chiron has working brakes, then TLG is violating a longstanding rule to do so, or the brakes “work” but only to show movement of the calipers when a brake pedal is depressed, not that they actually engage the rotors.

Another reason why no brakes is that if they work like real brakes, the motion at the calipers is negligible and hard to tell they are working anyways except they prevent the car from moving. As a play factor, this means the child has to try and reach inside the cockpit, push a tiny lever buried under the dash on the floorboard, then try and push the vehicle forward. This doesn’t “play well” and is the actual reason we have not seen working brakes yet.

Just my $0.02

53 minutes ago, Bublehead said:

I’ve been waiting for almost 25 years for working brakes, ever since the supercar 8880 where it was the only missing functionality. And to date, no brakes.  I am pretty sure that WHATEVER has kept them from making working brakes in the past will continue in the Chiron.

Brakes, at least real ones, cause parts to be rubbed together intentionally, causing friction and heat. Now Technic Lego isn’t going to melt or catch fire but rubbing parts together intentionally which can scratch or abraid the surface is a Lego no no. So if Chiron has working brakes, then TLG is violating a longstanding rule to do so, or the brakes “work” but only to show movement of the calipers when a brake pedal is depressed, not that they actually engage the rotors.

Another reason why no brakes is that if they work like real brakes, the motion at the calipers is negligible and hard to tell they are working anyways except they prevent the car from moving. As a play factor, this means the child has to try and reach inside the cockpit, push a tiny lever buried under the dash on the floorboard, then try and push the vehicle forward. This doesn’t “play well” and is the actual reason we have not seen working brakes yet.

Just my $0.02

But I've seen many people use the small 2L flexible liftarm to do brakes, why not just use that because its rubber and can take some friction. this piece here 45590.jpg?0

3 minutes ago, Jack Bloomer said:

But I've seen many people use the small 2L flexible liftarm to do brakes, why not just use that because its rubber and can take some friction. this piece here 45590.jpg?0

yup, I believe I remember sheepo using them a long time ago.

2 minutes ago, Jack Bloomer said:

I've seen many people use the small 2L flexible liftarm

I remember that I damaged this piece while proper play with Mindstorms NXT 2.0, crocodile build used them in a harsh way.

But that was a while ago, I believe that rubber pieces are used with much more care now.

My reasoning here is not to say I don’t want working brakes, I do, but historically, and by TLG’s own definition, any part on part wear should be reduced or eliminated completely, and at no time should normal play cause any damage or unnecessary wear and tear to the elements.  Brakes categorically fall in this bucket, and therefore we will not see them on the Chiron or most likely ever. Again, just my opinion.

8 minutes ago, technic_addict said:

yup, I believe I remember sheepo using them a long time ago.

That was the model I was thinking of when i wrote this. Image result for Lego Sheepo porsche brakes

3 minutes ago, Bublehead said:

at no time should normal play cause any damage or unnecessary wear and tear to the elements.  

It's funny coz pieces with axle holes or bushes snap all the time but TLG dont seem to bat an eye, while making a functional brake make TLG lose their mindd

7 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

It's funny coz pieces with axle holes or bushes snap all the time but TLG dont seem to bat an eye, while making a functional brake make TLG lose their mindd

Those are broken from a mold, it's a mistake. Brakes are instructed to be damaged, not ok.

30 minutes ago, Jack Bloomer said:

I doubt that LEGO would do such thing given the fact that these things get some serious damage if you're pushing the car with the brakes engaged. Speaking from experience here. 

2 minutes ago, LvdH said:

I doubt that LEGO would do such thing given the fact that these things get some serious damage if you're pushing the car with the brakes engaged. Speaking from experience here. 

Here's the thing though, it doesn't require that much pressure in order to stop. If the 42083 has HOG steering on the top of the model or front of windscreen then they can feasibly add a lever for engaging and disengaging the brakes. Also, why does it matter if the tears up the piece because many people will simply buy and build to display. Only us AFOLs will want to work with brakes.

16 minutes ago, Jack Bloomer said:

Here's the thing though, it doesn't require that much pressure in order to stop. If the 42083 has HOG steering on the top of the model or front of windscreen then they can feasibly add a lever for engaging and disengaging the brakes. Also, why does it matter if the tears up the piece because many people will simply buy and build to display. Only us AFOLs will want to work with brakes.

Not true. These kinds of brakes require quite a lot of force to actually work. When they do work however they work very well, and that's where the damaged parts come from. The 3x3 pulleys on my Sheepo Mustang have some black parts of the rubbers on them. Also, people definitely don't buy this set just for display. There's definitely going to be some younger fans wanting to play with it, whether that be the son/daughter of an AFOL or a TFOL who bought the set himself.

10 minutes ago, LvdH said:

Not true. These kinds of brakes require quite a lot of force to actually work. When they do work however they work very well, and that's where the damaged parts come from. The 3x3 pulleys on my Sheepo Mustang have some black parts of the rubbers on them. Also, people definitely don't buy this set just for display. There's definitely going to be some younger fans wanting to play with it, whether that be the son/daughter of an AFOL or a TFOL who bought the set himself.

Actually now that I think about it, you’re actually pretty right in that it can damage the part quickly. But honestly this set needs to have something that stands out from the 42056 and it can’t be an overhyped gearbox. Whether functional or not in reality “moving brakes” (as they don’t actually engage the wheel hub but still move) would really set this set apart from its predecessor 

2 hours ago, Bublehead said:

Just my $0.02

I suppose TLG had such guidelines, but if I look at 42056, there are quite some parts rubbing against each other in the stock paddle shifter unit. No to mention the 8t gear attached to a pin with friction. Over time using a friction pin as friction clutch will make the friction pin more smooth and decline the assumed friction.

Working brakes would be most playable and with the least wear if both the caliper and the disc would have flat hard plastic sides rubbing against each other.

EDIT: Please don't tell my wife we are actually discussing LEGO pieces rubbing each other :laugh:.

Edited by Didumos69