31 minutes ago, Bartelas said:

So is it known how TLG (normally) handles their “hype - generation”? It’s two and a half months until release, therefore i’d expect to see some pictures or at least some new teasers pretty soon. 

They usually do a full reveal and press release a few weeks before the release.

@Bartelas wellcome to Eurobricks forum. I'm affraid that we will have to wait few months for some new images or video. There is very small possibillity that LEGO is preparing some kind of "Easter present" like that for us

Edited by I_Igor

@I_Igor Thank’s for the welcome. Haha have they ever done an “Easter present” of this magnitude? Maybe we’ll get an introduction likewise to the 911...

The difference is that by March of 2016, we had already seen the photos and videos of the Porsche from the Nuremburg Toy Fair.  This time, all we've gotten is a poster and a teaser video with nothing of substance.  I'm sure it is some kind of effort to hurt the copycats, but it isn't easy for us consumers either.  I remember the intrigue surrounding the spiral-stickered prototype at the toy fair, and how the analysis of new pieces and functions was in high gear :)  I'm really hoping it won't take too much longer for Lego to share something, I'm beyond excited!

3 hours ago, dforce said:

The difference is that by March of 2016, we had already seen the photos and videos of the Porsche from the Nuremburg Toy Fair.  This time, all we've gotten is a poster and a teaser video with nothing of substance.  I'm sure it is some kind of effort to hurt the copycats, but it isn't easy for us consumers either.  I remember the intrigue surrounding the spiral-stickered prototype at the toy fair, and how the analysis of new pieces and functions was in high gear :)  I'm really hoping it won't take too much longer for Lego to share something, I'm beyond excited!

that would be possible, this year LEGO company has taken some steps against pirate toy manufacturers, so any delay is possible

I really hope that this time around they will manage to cover up all these holes that were present on the 911. Their new approach on Technic sets in 2k18 seems to be the use of plenty system parts for detailing, so not losing hope there!

On 3/13/2018 at 1:36 PM, Bartelas said:

I really hope that this time around they will manage to cover up all these holes that were present on the 911. Their new approach on Technic sets in 2k18 seems to be the use of plenty system parts for detailing, so not losing hope there!

I'm not sure I want too many system parts. I haven't built the MACK truck, but I'm still on the fence about liking the looks or not. I do like the system details on the Extreme Adventure, but they are only used for details, not for the bodywork.

9 minutes ago, Jim said:

I'm not sure I want too much system parts. I haven't built the MACK truck, but I'm still on the fence about liking the looks or not. I do like the system details on the Extreme Adventure, but they are only used for details, not for the bodywork.

This is what I hope for as well, haven't got the Mack for this very reason, just seems to Creator like. 

12 minutes ago, Johnny1360 said:

This is what I hope for as well, haven't got the Mack for this very reason, just seems to Creator like. 

It's a mixed bag. Little short on system parts to be a Creator set, but too much system parts to be Technic set. At least, that how it feels to me. I love Model Team style (i.e. Creator style), but I don't necessarily need a hybrid.

14 minutes ago, Jim said:

I'm not sure I want too much system parts. I haven't built the MACK truck, but I'm still on the fence about liking the looks or not. I do like the system details on the Extreme Adventure, but they are only used for details, not for the bodywork.

I totally agree with Jim, I would love to see beautifully finished interior of Chiron. However on the outside of the car, I prefer use only of technic parts. I even kinda like those gaps, they makes me feel this is Lego, not some one piece car model.

29 minutes ago, Jaromir said:

I totally agree with Jim, I would love to see beautifully finished interior of Chiron. However on the outside of the car, I prefer use only of technic parts. I even kinda like those gaps, they makes me feel this is Lego, not some one piece car model.

For such price and pats count we can expect detailed interrier. I have feeling that Chiron will be pleasant surprise.  The only unpleasant surprise will be the price. :sad:

Edited by I_Igor
2018th post - well I'm up to date

@Jaromir By referring to “gaps”, did you also like those above the rear headlights of the 911? In my opinion Lego did cut some major corners there.

@Jim I get the whole “Technic Only” Nostalgia for the bodywork, i’d love to see that on 42083, but only if they manage to “finish” the body properly. It should be expected regarding the pricing of these sets.

21 minutes ago, Bartelas said:

@Jaromir By referring to “gaps”, did you also like those above the rear headlights of the 911? In my opinion Lego did cut some major corners there.

Haha you are right, but still they do not annoy me anyway. For me Porsche looks awesome. Maybe I am the type of Lego fan with low demands. :laugh::tongue:

22 minutes ago, Bartelas said:

@Jim I get the whole “Technic Only” Nostalgia for the bodywork, i’d love to see that on 42083, but only if they manage to “finish” the body properly. It should be expected regarding the pricing of these sets.

Don't get me wrong; it's not nostalgia or something. I simply don't like the two styles mixed. I wasn't a fan of the rear light on the Porsche either. From my review:

Back of the car looks pretty decent too, although I am not really sure about the rear lights. On the other hand; these kind of shapes are hard to capture in a Technic model.

I agree that the Porsche could have been better, especially around the front and rear lights. Other than that, I think the bodywork of the Porsche is quite allright. I don't mind having some gaps here and there.

I think the rear lights of Chiron will be done with use of red transparent tube, something like engine of millenium falcon set. And yeah, hopefully that rear curve will not be achieved with system pieces...

I do understand how some love the older styles of 8860 /8880 etc they were and are the original ideals of Technic sets. Show the inner workings of the gears etc. The GT3 has all the gearing and inner workings but hidden behind a huge amount of panels

The mack truck is a work of art from the outside and also inside, but all the gearing etc is mostly hidden, so I do understand. 

However, you still get to enjoy building the differentials, being impressed with the gearing and cogs, axels etc even though they do get hidden by panels and system bricks.

I sorta like the half way model team, creator and technic sets we sometimes get nowadays, I understand not for all.  

We know for sure that the Chiron features a huge parts count (+900 compared to the Porsche) and I´m very curious how and where they are being used.. Reasonable if many tiny system parts are used to finish some edges & fill gaps etc. If used in a smart and subtle way, I´m in favour of such a building style, but they shouldn´t cover big areas criss-cross style. Can´t wait for some prelim pictures.

The system pieces are okay in my opinion, though I'd be happiest if it was mostly for interior detailing.  My biggest concern is whether they made the inner-workings accessible when the model is finished.  The Porsche was a fun and interesting build, and it would have been much better received if we could see the complex gearbox and even the motor by lifting a few panels.

The 900+ more parts will probably be used for details as opposed to different functions.  I imagine they focus on a cleaner interior with system pieces...  I'd love a new motor/cylinder system though!

1 hour ago, Frequenzberater said:

I personally dont see it so critical. Also the legendary 8880 had a lot of systems parts. And that worked fantastic. 

That was in a time when Technic was studded and still quite like system parts. They were "complementary" so to speak. Which is not the case with Technic and System nowadays.

24 minutes ago, dforce said:

The system pieces are okay in my opinion, though I'd be happiest if it was mostly for interior detailing. 

Exactly this :thumbup:

I agree with you as long the studs are visible. But in modern sets usually some kind of SNOT technic is used which results in a harmonic overall look. But of course, thats just my personal point of view. 

Fun fact: It’s actually not that big of a challenge to remove the whole bodywork (without dismantling it) from the rest of the 911 to reveal the technic structure. You just have to remove all the red pins, the seats and those two blue pins holding the hood in place. The doors connection to the body has to go as well, as it is connected to the inner frame, but the doors (like the hood) can just be added back later to the separated body easily.