Off topic: I have been very busy with other stuff, but my fingers are itching to get cracking again.

11 minutes ago, anatem said:

Yeah, I wasn't very happy with some things with the Porsche either, but it was still awesome. Plus we always have the community to make these sets much better; and the car display fans get a cool model; and Lego makes massive sales. Everyone's happy if you ask me, and I doubt we're ever going to get a set that will live up to our (community on the whole) (extremely high) expectations - even 42054 has some things I'd criticize, and it's possibly my favorite technic set. 42070 on the other hand...

The video interview with the designers showed how exasperated they were with reactions to the Porsche. Basically, part of the community is never happy with what they get but it was a sales success and is a great display model.

The Mack truck is as simple as they come (apart from the steering mechanism) yet many people are loving it because it looks good. The recent more technically sophisticated models (42069, 42055 and 42066) are not good sellers so they have to strike a balance between looks and features.

I reckon the purists will enjoy building the crane and hating on the Bugatti, whereas the wider public will go for the Bugatti and only hate the price. I wonder if it will be a D2C release this time.

1 minute ago, valenciaeric said:

I reckon the purists will enjoy building the crane and hating on the Bugatti, whereas the wider public will go for the Bugatti and only hate the price.

This :thumbup:

22 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

The video interview with the designers showed how exasperated they were with reactions to the Porsche

What video was that? Can you PM the link to not dilute the thread?

6 hours ago, Tommy Styrvoky said:

This is an attempt at making the W16 with the current cylinder blocks, It still isn't 100% structurally sound, though just a proof of concept that it is possible to make it smaller than what is currently portrayed in their marketing for it. A true W16 with one crank shaft isn't possible with current lego parts, so I think It would require 4 or 2 seperate crank shafts. I think from the current layout from TLG, it uses 3 crank shafts. 

Agree that this version would be more accurate, but I also like solution shown in trailer. Honestly I was no fan of Porsche mainly for completely wrong front suspension type, but Chiron is tempting me 

36 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

What video was that? Can you PM the link to not dilute the thread?

It´s on Sariel´s video channel and I will post the link because it is essential watching for any Technic fan and is highly relevant to this thread regarding expectations and speculation. Watch from minute 15 to  20 in particular.

1 hour ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

I keep my hopes up, if I saw it right I think we will get a 20T transmission clutch gear. That should make it possible to make a more advanced gearbox than a simple 4-speed. Furthermore a driving extender is used as well, which suggest that the gearbox will include a reverse gear. Which, thinking out loud, could point to a manual gearbox, instead of a sequential box...

that piece could save some of my projects that are on hold. To see simple 7+R gearbox is not so bad (there is a space for it)

2 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

So the simple formula for TLG is:

1. Get a license from an iconic car
2. Create a faithful replica of appearance and a not-so-faithful replica of technical details.
3. Profit !

In case of Chiron, I'll probably accept this policy :devil:

3 hours ago, Jim said:

This pretty much sums it up. At least, that is what they did with the Porsche. Maybe they will surprise us with the Chiron.

People keep forgetting that it was actually Porsche who stripped technical stuff from the Porsche (4-wheel steering, who knows what else), not LEGO themselves.

The end-result is the same though, so you could argue it doesn't actually matter.

I do have a 'problem' already with the Chiron. It is totally different from a 911 (even the GT3) from a car-market perspective, so they're off to a weird start for a series of collectable cars. I'm just not seeing a shelf with both cars side by side, and then an onlooker still going: "Wow, will you just look at that Porsche!".

4 minutes ago, JimDude said:

People keep forgetting that it was actually Porsche who stripped technical stuff from the Porsche (4-wheel steering, who knows what else), not LEGO themselves.

The end-result is the same though, so you could argue it doesn't actually matter.

I do have a 'problem' already with the Chiron. It is totally different from a 911 (even the GT3) from a car-market perspective, so they're off to a weird start for a series of collectable cars. I'm just not seeing a shelf with both cars side by side, and then an onlooker still going: "Wow, will you just look at that Porsche!".

True. True. Not sure.

I agree a Ferrari would have been a more logical companion, but I do like the fact that TLG has chosen this very special car.

Yes the Bugatti is an excellent choice. This and the aventador are my favourites. It does feel a bit of a shame that they appear to be doing only supercars when there are many iconic car, off roaders and pickups like the dodge ram that would look epic on the box and have lots of technical functionality not found in supercars, like selectable 2 or 4 wheel drive and diff locks and so on. But like I say, the Chiron is still a great choice and I look forward to seeing what new parts come with it.

Edited by allanp

14 hours ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

I would guess flex axles. I don't think there is any other way to do it with any accuracy.

Actually, flex axles, rigid pneumatic tubing and ribbed 7mm hoses comes on huge spools and are cut to length as needed

I know this as I have all three types in +3 meters (yes, threehundred centimers!), however my long flex axles lacks the pin connection so I guess they're hot pressed after cutting

None of those come in chrome anyway, so I'm guessing flat/boring/swirl/pearl silver (or whatever TLG calls that colour now) and my bet is on flex axles. This part will only come in this set and will be the new 10179 boat rigging/radar and command silly prices on BL until the fakes show up and TLG puts them in another sub hundred dollar set in eight years ..

I would not be surprised if this set has some new curvy panels :wink:

1 minute ago, allanp said:

Yes the Bugatti is an excellent choice. This and the aventador are my favourites. It does feel a bit of a shame that they appear to be doing only supercars when there are many iconic car, off roaders and pickups like the dodge ram that would look epic on the box and have lots of technical functionality not found in supercars, like selectable 2 or 4 wheel drive and diff locks and so on. But like I say, the Chiron is still a great choice and I look forward to seeing what new parts come with it.

These modern smooth looking "supercars" mostly look like a turd blown with a hairdryer anyway

it's pretty hard to do them justice with Technic parts and/OR system parts. Now an old Countach, angular as that 80's colombian taxi is, that would be a good choice. i'd also like to see some proper Group-B cars from 80's (Lancias, Peugeots, Audis .. all boxy and not that hard to do - also interesting mechanics that would not be that hard to with modern Technic parts)

Heck, a 959 Rothmann makeover might me even want to buy the Porsche :laugh:

Not to get too off topic, so this will be my first and last post on it, but I would love to be able to buy the rigid flex hose and pneumatic hose directly from Lego in large spools!

I find the Bugatti a car that was built around it's engine and speed and has no external drama or excitement and when it's sat on your shelf it will just be the weird bubble it is :tongue:

I was going to replace the Porsche on the shelf with the next super car (repeat every two years) but I feel that I may buy the Bugatti build it then dismantle it where as my Enzo is going nowhere!

I want a super car to stir my soul not vibrate my bottom :laugh:

Edited by Cardboy

8 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

IMHO Bugatti is the best choice :thumbup:

I'm with you. Really looking forward to seeing some pics.

(Off topic)

I would like to show y'all something before arguing happens. The are both second fastest now. 

Agera R vs Buggati Veyron SS 

Who wins?

This will probably happen when a Chiron goes against an Agera One:1

Edited by Aventador2004

The great thing about the Chiron is that it does its top speed and apparently there's no drama, it's smooth and refined, and doesn't feel like you're about to die. Petrol heads may not like that and want some drama, I get that, but from an engineering point of view the Chiron is practically unbeatable.

Just now, allanp said:

The great thing about the Chiron is that it does its top speed and apparently there's no drama, it's smooth and refined, and doesn't feel like you're about to die. Petrol heads may not like that and want some drama, I get that, but from an engineering point of view the Chiron is practically unbeatable.

Yes, it is a marvel, but officially, it isn't the fastest and is limited to 260.

3 minutes ago, Aventador2004 said:

(Off topic)

I would like to show y'all something before arguing happens. The are both second fastest now. 

Agera R vs Buggati Veyron SS 

Who wins?

This will probably happen when a Chiron goes against an Agera One:1

It does not matter which wins, Bugatti has tradition and Charisma which is very high ranking in world of collectible cars :wink:

I think most of people would prefer Chiron in garage (or display LEGO model) than other marques. IMHO this car has the most beautiful details from 1930s when Bugatti, Delahaye, Mercedes and co were creme de la creme in automobile industry. Of course there are other marques, but currently Bugatti is the only resurrected iconic marque from that era (Mercedes continued to exist on market due to their enormous diversity in production lines), so IMHO Chiron is best solution that integrates classic and modern design with mechanical extravagance 

1 minute ago, I_Igor said:

It does not matter which wins, Bugatti has tradition and Charisma which is very high ranking in world of collectible cars :wink:

Look at my post, I was addressing the "faster car" people to prove a point, and yes I still like the car.

1 minute ago, Aventador2004 said:

Look at my post, I was addressing the "faster car" people to prove a point, and yes I still like the car.

I have red what you wrote, but I was comparing cars and used your video as example :wink:

Let's end this discussion and get back to the Chiron set. Thanks.