I’m designing a 1:200 scale model of the Queen Mary 2 with full interior (except the hotel rooms, 1300 identical rooms would get redundant). I’m using LDD to design it and hope to buy the 19,228 pieces and build it over the next 2-5 years. It will have working elevators, cargo doors, passenger doors, and all 17 decks with machinery and public spaces. Let me know what you think.  

Lol.... coming soon... Anyway, it's a bold project. Good luck with the build and looking forward to see it finished.

Thanks. 19,000 pieces is a little overwhelming, but I’m going to break the ship down into manageable sections just like the real shipbuilders do. It will keep me busy for a while:grin:

Looks very promising and the choice for the scale size is very good. Personally for this scale i don,t like the studd up hull and prefer myself a studd out hull, but it wil cost you more parts.

Can't wait to see some update.

I thought about a stud-out hull, but I think it would make integration with the interior decks too complicated. I had to make some compromises to include all the features I wanted. 

My dry-dock is ready for the first parts of Queen Mary 2 to arrive.  I created a 1:200 scale gantry crane that can lift the scaled equivalent of 2000 tonnes.  The ship will be built in about 60 sections.  

Here's an updated external and cutaway view of my design for the Queen Mary 2 model.  I've tried to add as much detail as possible internally and externally at this scale.  The cutaway picture got a little squished for some reason when I posted it, but you get the idea.

QM2 comparisonsQM2 comparisons

Edited by supertechnicman
pictures weren't showing up. Switched to Flickr.

7 hours ago, supertechnicman said:

Let me know if you can see them now.  I might have found the problem.

Still nothing to see.

2 minutes ago, Edwin Korstanje said:

I can now seen the progress and looks stunning so far. Only the gantry crane is scaled off to small.:wink:

Thanks. I think the gantry crane at Chantiers de l'Atlantique, where QM2 was originally built, is only 62m tall. It does appear taller since it sits on the raised sides of the drydock though. I don’t have enough blocks to build a proper drydock with raised sides. Maybe that will be a future project. 

Very ambitious build, look forward to seeing some of the photos as they don't show up for me currently, thanks.

I'll have more pictures soon, but it seems like they don't show up for a lot of people in Eurobricks.  I've been posting the pics by copying the link from Google Photos and pasting it in the "insert image from URL" box from the post editor.  The images show up fine for me on iPads, iPhones, and desktop computers. If anyone knows why the pictures don't show up for everyone and how to fix it let me know.  I may have to just keep posting youtube videos that everyone can see.

The most easy way is use a Flickr acount ore some other photoshare programs and you can than choose the right link and format to post here at EB.:wink:

I used Flickr for these pics. Let me know if they show up ok. These are just some comparisons between my design and the real QM2. There are some differences since my design is based on the ship after its 2016 refit. 

QM2 comparisonsQM2 comparisonsQM2 comparisonsQM2 comparisons

The four diesel engines power generators and are located low in the ship due to their size and weight. Each real engine is 12.5 metres long, 4.4 metres wide, 5.5 metres high and weighs 217 tonnes.
The diesel engines were built by Wartsila and are V engines with 16 cylinders. They have a bore of 460mm and a stroke of 580 mm.

Each engine runs at 514 rpm and produces 16.8 MW of power. They run on conventional heavy fuel oil.
The engines are of the enviroengine design that uses commonrail technology utilising water injection into the chambers to reduce noxious emissions.  These are my 1:200 scale LEGO versions ready for installation in the ship.

Engines & D11Engines & D11

Finally, photo's! :thumbup: And worth the wait! The digital model looks great, the resemblance in the comparison pics is very good. Curious to see this come together, I love how you built a dry dock complete with gantry, equipment and (presumably) a few workmen :classic:

Here’s some more pics of my 1:200 scale interpretation of Liebherr’s 11200 crane. It can lift 1,200 tonnes straight up, but barely has the capacity to lift the QM2s engines at a radius of 14m since they weigh 217 tonnes each.  I also included a closeup of the Cat D11.  The credit for it's design goes to František Hajdekr.

QM2 comparisons

1:200 scale Liebherr 11200

Engines & D11Engines & D11

The ship is impressive in its own right, but I love the attention to detail in the support equipment for manufacture. Bravo sir!

8 hours ago, bonox said:

The ship is impressive in its own right, but I love the attention to detail in the support equipment for manufacture. Bravo sir!

Thanks! I figured the extra equipment would give a sense of how huge the ship is in real life. 

This is awesomely nuts! Over 19,000 pieces! How long did it take you to build this? Fantastic job, and you really nailed the entire design! it looks identical!

2 hours ago, LM71Blackbird said:

This is awesomely nuts! Over 19,000 pieces! How long did it take you to build this? Fantastic job, and you really nailed the entire design! it looks identical!

Thanks! I’m still in the process of building. I designed the ship with LDD. It will take several years to buy all the parts due to cost. I haven’t even finished the first deck yet.