Another update. I finished decks 5-7 of the Queen Mary II model.  I have 6 decks left to build.

50576358793_69b6b49c21_b.jpg

Here is a close-up of the auxiliary generators on deck 5 of the rear ship.  Their exhausts exit at the rear of deck 6.

50577221472_d9b50b8912_b.jpg

and here is a close up of the Grand Lobby, looking in from the top of the 7th deck.  You can see the grey exhaust stacks from the main engines beyond the opening.

Grand Lobby50577080501_041a7673c0_b.jpg50576355868_28d20ea408_b.jpg

Me like! Following this topic with great interest. Nice to see some progress!

This is an awesome model, I love the details. We took the transatlantic cruise and I can imagine sitting in that theater again. 

On 11/7/2020 at 9:23 PM, Jim said:

Me like! Following this topic with great interest. Nice to see some progress!

Me too Jim and like the model, but look closer:wink:

6 hours ago, Edwin Korstanje said:

Me too Jim and like the model, but look closer:wink:

Edwin Korstanje, what should we look closer at?  I hope you're not trying to accuse me of using clone brands again.  That is getting old and makes me a little angry.

Exactly. That ship has sailed.

You see what I did there?! :tongue:

Small update to model.  I've started building up Deck 7 of the ship (promenade deck).  You can see the lifeboat cranes, stairs, elevator shafts, and main engine exhaust sticking up through deck 7 in this picture.

Starting Deck 7

This picture shows the main kitchen exhaust stacks on the left and the inflatable lifeboats and their cranes in the front center.

50649661791_e1db9afc0c_b.jpg

Cool project! I used to work for Cunard line, and got to do a tour working in the onboard sales office, all the way from NYC to Hamburg and back. Must be over ten years ago now, but I have some very happy memories of that trip.

On 12/3/2020 at 1:49 AM, supertechnicman said:

hope to sail on Queen Mary II someday

Oh - this is your drive. Along with they will probably never be building it this way anymore ... so true.

(Not the point here, just nostalgia)

Much more so: What you are accomplishing here is beyond (my) belief. This is on a totally different level. The details, the love you dedicate to your project - and your absolutely creative building skills. I cannot encompass this. It is too - big/huge/nice/incredible. But it is fascinating.

I am so much looking forward to your next update. Not the final result, that will "just" (forgive me) be the final update. But how this evolves is taking my breath.

All the very best.

Thorsten

Deck 7 is almost complete!  I just need to finish the section near the bow.  The build should progress faster now, because the decks above deck 7 have a much smaller footprint.

Deck 7 almost complete!

You can see Lego Statue of Liberty (21042) in the background for scale.  I'm using Lego minifigure statuettes/trophy figures to represent passengers/crew.  They are approximately the correct scale.  My kids also made some scale Lego dinosaurs because they love dinosaurs.  You can see them near the bow.

Deck 7 almost complete!

I'm almost finished with the forward section of the decks.  Here you can see the inside of the bridge.  I need to get more transparent blocks to finish the windows before I can finish the top of the ship.

QM2 bow almost finished

QM2 bow almost finished

I even included a gym on forward the promenade deck

Gym in bow area of QM2

Edited by supertechnicman

I took a short break from building Lego QM2 to build Lego Titanic.  Lego made the Titanic in 1:200 scale too, so it's cool to be able to put them side by side to see what they would have looked like together in real life.  The QM2 is a huge ship!

QM2 vs Titanic

Very lucke the LEGO Titanic is the same scale. Everybody needs a friend, ships too! I build all my supercars in 1:8 scale too, because displaying them together makes it way cooler imo. Same here!

I'm finally working on the uppermost decks of the ship.  The bridge is done.  There's a few Lego trophy figures inside as crewmembers, but they're hard to see through the transparent block windows.  I've also finished most of the balconies.  You can see the main engine exhaust pipes sticking up through the top of the structure at midship.

BridgeTop decksBalconiesTop decks

Another update.  Here's the inside of the engine room at the top of the ship.  It contains two LM2500+ GE Gas Turbines driving two more generators to power the ship.  The exhaust stacks from the four diesel engines in the bottom of the ship are in front of those turbines.  

Top engine room.

Very impressive. Just wondering if you don't mind sending me the instructions because I love Cunard but Im fascinated by the QM2 and I would love to build a model of her at this size. Thanks Fleming.

What an amazing project, must be very proud to have it finished, I know I have enjoyed watching this thread for the last few years. Congratulations on completing, what to me would be a once in a lifetime project.

Do you have plans to ever display publicly? I can only imagine how much time I could spend checking out all the fine details.

Again a big hats off to you sir, for a most excellent building experience

Any idea of parts count?

Edited by Johnny1360

3 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

What an amazing project, must be very proud to have it finished, I know I have enjoyed watching this thread for the last few years. Congratulations on completing, what to me would be a once in a lifetime project.

Do you have plans to ever display publicly? I can only imagine how much time I could spend checking out all the fine details.

Again a big hats off to you sir, for a most excellent building experience

Any idea of parts count?

Thank you!
It’s pretty difficult to move, so no plans to display it right now. I’ll probably have to find an extra large display case at some point. The piece count is around 25,000.