LM71Blackbird

[COR-FB-Class 8 Ship] Troop Transport RSND "Eagle"

Troop Transport RSND "Eagle"

39902638011_4cc470e417.jpgTroop Transport by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

(IC) After taking on supplies at Arlinsport, Lieutenant Nathaniel Brickford boarded the troop transport HMS "Eagle" that was bound for King's Harbor.

39902637361_a67a3a2949_n.jpgTroop Transport by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

His company of Marines, who were led by the decorated veteran Captain Horatio Plates, were headed to King's Harbor to protect the interests of the Crown in the New World.

39902637811_61d60135a9_n.jpgtroop transport 2 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

After they had sailed half the distance from the Sea of Storms to the Terraversa Sea, the "Eagle" encountered a dreadful storm that shook the timbers of the mighty vessel to their core. In all the confusion, the aging Captain Plates, was injured by a rouge barrel that broke loose in the hold. By the time the Storm finally cleared after two days, Captain Horatio Plates had passed. The crew buried him at sea the following day. With the Company's leader now deceased, Nathaniel Brickford was promoted from second in charge to Captain of the troops aboard the "Eagle".

(OOC) I hope you enjoyed the next part of my character storyline and the ship MOC! C&C are welcome and appreciated! :thumbup: I know the sails don't look the greatest and there should probably be 4 or 5 masts, but trying to be precise and add things on a 3000 piece model on the LDD is no easy task!

I read the ship size thread and I decided to make this ship a Class 8 because if built with real bricks it would be about 50 inches long. Any comments on that or about character progression in general would be helpful (just to make sure I'm doing it right!). Thanks for viewing! :excited:

For those of you not familiar with my backstory, please refer to these posts:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Edited by LM71Blackbird

This build doesn't deserve disappearing amongst the challenge entries without a single comment! :pir-blush:

I really like the story, and I am happy to welcome Captain Brickford in King's Harbour. Perhaps he will present himself to the Colonial Governor there?

For the ship:

• Licensing and size
    My initial impression is that she is a class 8 as you suggest. How many mid sections does she consist of?
    Also, do you have any plans for licensing? I would think the faction would be happy to "buy" her and license her as a supply ship/troop carrier, as that fits with your story. If you'd like that, lets take it in the pm. :pir-classic:
  • Masts and rigging
    I understand the issues with LDD and brick count (and it is a very ambitious build) so take what I say here with a grain of salt.
    The placements of the masts look fairly good for a three-master. For such a long vessel, you could consider rigging her as a four-masted barque.
    Generally, the mainmast should be about as tall as the ship is long, and the other masts proportioned accordingly. Currently it is about ½ to 2/3rds of the length, which makes her look somewhat under-rigged. I also would suggest looking into how "real" masts where made, consisting of mast, topmast, topgallant, etc.
  • Hull
    I really like the colour scheme and details you have added along the hull, including the gun ports, boats on deck and railings. A few suggestions.
    • Cabin
      Personally, I am not a big fan of the Lego style with the tall "box-on-hull"-cabins.
      Although the cabin appears to have nice detailing, I would bring both levels of the cabin down one level for a more realistic look.
    • Bow and figurehead
      I like the general look of the bow and had been considering using the lotr eagles for a figurehead myself at some point. Looks cool!
    • Shape
      Overall, you have some really nice curves and shapes for the hull (although she might be a bit long for her width, which makes her look a bit stretched). And your transitions between sides, bow, stern, etc. seem to work really well.
      Normally, though, ship hulls are lowest in the waist (middle) with the forecastle and sterncastle (or in later ships quarterdeck and poop) rising over it. Which means that your vessel with a low bow rising to a high cabin looks a bit off.
  • Pictures
    I'd love to have some larger pictures on flickr to look at details from, as well as some more angles :pir-blush:

Overall, really nice work, and sorry for not commenting earlier!

Spoiler
9 hours ago, Bregir said:

This build doesn't deserve disappearing amongst the challenge entries without a single comment! :pir-blush:

I really like the story, and I am happy to welcome Captain Brickford in King's Harbour. Perhaps he will present himself to the Colonial Governor there?

For the ship:

• Licensing and size
    My initial impression is that she is a class 8 as you suggest. How many mid sections does she consist of?
    Also, do you have any plans for licensing? I would think the faction would be happy to "buy" her and license her as a supply ship/troop carrier, as that fits with your story. If you'd like that, lets take it in the pm. :pir-classic:
  • Masts and rigging
    I understand the issues with LDD and brick count (and it is a very ambitious build) so take what I say here with a grain of salt.
    The placements of the masts look fairly good for a three-master. For such a long vessel, you could consider rigging her as a four-masted barque.
    Generally, the mainmast should be about as tall as the ship is long, and the other masts proportioned accordingly. Currently it is about ½ to 2/3rds of the length, which makes her look somewhat under-rigged. I also would suggest looking into how "real" masts where made, consisting of mast, topmast, topgallant, etc.
  • Hull
    I really like the colour scheme and details you have added along the hull, including the gun ports, boats on deck and railings. A few suggestions.
    • Cabin
      Personally, I am not a big fan of the Lego style with the tall "box-on-hull"-cabins.
      Although the cabin appears to have nice detailing, I would bring both levels of the cabin down one level for a more realistic look.
    • Bow and figurehead
      I like the general look of the bow and had been considering using the lotr eagles for a figurehead myself at some point. Looks cool!
    • Shape
      Overall, you have some really nice curves and shapes for the hull (although she might be a bit long for her width, which makes her look a bit stretched). And your transitions between sides, bow, stern, etc. seem to work really well.
      Normally, though, ship hulls are lowest in the waist (middle) with the forecastle and sterncastle (or in later ships quarterdeck and poop) rising over it. Which means that your vessel with a low bow rising to a high cabin looks a bit off.
  • Pictures
    I'd love to have some larger pictures on flickr to look at details from, as well as some more angles :pir-blush:

Overall, really nice work, and sorry for not commenting earlier!

Captain Brickford will certainly be presenting himself to the Colonial Governor!

The Ship:

• Licensing and size

She consists of 10 mid sections and 2 rounded ends. If built with real bricks she would be about 50 inches long.

I wasn't even going to consider licensing her because of the enormous cost that I can't afford right now. If the faction wants to purchase her though, I would be more than happy to oblige!

• Masts and rigging

I'll definitely add another sail to it and lengthen the masts. I always thought it looked a little under-rigged...

I know on one of the threads there is a picture with all the names of the sails and such, but I couldn't find it... I definitely do some research on that though.

• Hull

Cabin: So instead of a captains quarters under the helm, just remove the cabin and put the helm on the deck? Is that what you mean?

Shape: Yeah, I see what you mean. I'll definitely have to fix that!

• Pictures

If you want to see more pictures of the model you can check out this album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/154382561@N04/albums/72157665505621188

I originally built the model to be a 28 gun warship, but it was in blue, so I decided to change it to a 10-gun troop transport and give it Corrington's colors so I could use it to advance my story. The album is of my warship, but the only difference between that one and the troop transport is that I removed the guns from the lower deck.

Thanks for all the feedback @Bregir! I'll make those adjustments you suggested and then post it in the Shipwrights Guild for finalizing before we PM it to the faction. Thanks again! 

Edited by LM71Blackbird

25072137740_cca27f30d8_t.jpg     That's quite the superb Eagle!

24426191796_299bf13634_t.jpg     SUPER BEAGLE!!!

25072137740_cca27f30d8_t.jpg     No, Alois, I said superb Eagle.

24369951161_932640e54d_t.jpg     Well, it can be quite confusing given the other incredible Corrington ship that @Bregir built, which is quite the super Beagle.

24156803900_a3a468091d_t.jpg     I hate you guys.

Superb ship, and I definitely agree with Bregir that it does not deserve to vanish here and not get any comments. It definitely deserves credit, so here you go: Great work! :-) 

I am not much of a ship building veteran, so I am afraid I cannot provide any feedback, except to say: I like it, please keep it up.

15 hours ago, pombe said:

superb Eagle.

Hilarious, superb eagle, super beagle.:roflmao:

That's quite a beast! Also nice that you added some more photos at the pier. My only criticism is that her sails look a bit small compared to its size so I would prefer them to be a bit bigger. Other than that, I like it a lot!

Oh, and eternal @@pombe just hit again!!! :laugh: :grin:

2 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

That's quite a beast! Also nice that you added some more photos at the pier. My only criticism is that her sails look a bit small compared to its size so I would prefer them to be a bit bigger. Other than that, I like it a lot!

Oh, and eternal @@pombe just hit again!!! :laugh: :grin:

Yes it is! Here is what she looks like now after some adjustments from the help and feedback I've received:

40174511871_9b73960f40_z.jpgtroop transport 6 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

7 hours ago, LM71Blackbird said:

Yes it is! Here is what she looks like now after some adjustments from the help and feedback I've received:

Much much much better! Keep up the great work!

On 8/3/2018 at 3:51 AM, Drunknok said:

This ship has now been licensed as "RSND Eagle".

What does RSND stand for

8 minutes ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

What does RSND stand for

"Royal Society of Navigation and Discovery".