LittleJohn

Collection of Medieval Tutorials

Absolutely loved the rock work techniques these will help out alot when I'm working on my landscape around my castle moc.

Murphy 

How to Angle Buildings

40601944453_9e9226baf3_z.jpg

Apologies for the slow update. Feel free to post a reminder about adding new tutorials if we haven't put one up within the last week or two.
It's easy to forget about adding them here when things get busy :blush:

When it comes to placement, you don't need to experiment to find connection points. Instead use Pythagoras' theorem. The old A^2 + B^2 = C^2.  The trick here is that if you use A and B to be the same, you are guaranteed a perfect fit.

This technique was used in the tree in the Winter Toy Shop.

ieeaoksflcft.png

Look at step 5. Those two studs go in positions so they are three studs apart on one axis, and one apart on the other. The the 2x4 plate comes on top three studs apart and one stud apart but twisted the other way.  This works with any distances subject to the building being big enough. The offset is twice the angle of the line made by the studs. The larger the building, the more possible angles you have.

On 9/5/2019 at 9:26 PM, MAB said:

When it comes to placement, you don't need to experiment to find connection points. Instead use Pythagoras' theorem. The old A^2 + B^2 = C^2.  The trick here is that if you use A and B to be the same, you are guaranteed a perfect fit.

This technique was used in the tree in the Winter Toy Shop.

ieeaoksflcft.png

Look at step 5. Those two studs go in positions so they are three studs apart on one axis, and one apart on the other. The the 2x4 plate comes on top three studs apart and one stud apart but twisted the other way.  This works with any distances subject to the building being big enough. The offset is twice the angle of the line made by the studs. The larger the building, the more possible angles you have.

Thanks for the idea. I experimented with different sizes on the 'pythogoras approach' and could not make 4x4 (A and B the same) fit in any angle but exactly every 90 degrees. With other plates I tested, it worked fine. Instead the idea of using the corner of the plate as an anchor and finding the other connection point on the arch by twisting the piece until it fits makes the angled placement actually an easy task.

I'm relatively new to LEGO (been doing it for a bit over a year) and was starting to think about doing a MOC that needs some castle like elements.  I have zero experience with castles, so I did some searching on Eurobricks and found this thread.  As many others have said, it's fantastic and so helpful.  Thanks for posting all these tutorials! :classic:

Also, I've wanted for a while to come up with a good photo backdrop, but most of the MOCs I've done so far are pretty large (64 - 128 studs wide) so a typical light box won't really work.  Your idea of using the Ikea blind really appeals to me. It's durable and large, and I happen to live near an Ikea.

On 10/6/2019 at 8:53 AM, twrHarri said:

Thanks for the idea. I experimented with different sizes on the 'pythogoras approach' and could not make 4x4 (A and B the same) fit in any angle but exactly every 90 degrees. With other plates I tested, it worked fine. Instead the idea of using the corner of the plate as an anchor and finding the other connection point on the arch by twisting the piece until it fits makes the angled placement actually an easy task.

Yes, if you put them in the 4x4 places, you will always get the same angle. However, if you separate them instead at 4x3 or 4x2, you will get different angles possible. Of course for larger plates / builds, you get many more possible angles to join the plates together. You can always use a tile near the corners if you need extra support in that area (but not clutch).

Decided I fancied taking a crack at some castle-building. Your tutorials are so useful! I feel kinda bad, as it feels like I'm copying, but I guess it's the way I use the techniques in the overall build that's important, and the techniques can be used as templates. Plus I'ma  beginner to MOC-making so it's really nice to have some inspiration to draw from; I'm sure I'll develop my use of your techniques over time.

It's been kinda a pain to work out some of the angles, since I'm working in Studio lol. Oh what I'd give to have some bricks in front of me to play about with lol.

But anyway, thank you so much - and I'm really happy you're still updating!

I enjoy building the furniture! Hopefully I can try the carts and buildings later on. thank you for all the tutorials.

On 5/7/2020 at 2:05 AM, sammy_zammy said:

Decided I fancied taking a crack at some castle-building. Your tutorials are so useful! I feel kinda bad, as it feels like I'm copying, but I guess it's the way I use the techniques in the overall build that's important, and the techniques can be used as templates. Plus I'ma  beginner to MOC-making so it's really nice to have some inspiration to draw from; I'm sure I'll develop my use of your techniques over time.

It's been kinda a pain to work out some of the angles, since I'm working in Studio lol. Oh what I'd give to have some bricks in front of me to play about with lol.

But anyway, thank you so much - and I'm really happy you're still updating!

Thanks! And that's how most of us start building, and is the reason John and I share these guides. As you build them you'll come up with your own modifications and soon will be developing your own techniques :thumbup:

On 5/20/2020 at 2:26 PM, one79 said:

I enjoy building the furniture! Hopefully I can try the carts and buildings later on. thank you for all the tutorials.

You're very welcome!