Sign in to follow this  
Bregir

[COR-GBftC] Artillery Sloop No. 1 and Gun Sloop No. 2

As part of the initiative to build gunboats for colonial protection, the boatyards in King's Harbour have been busy designing and building two types of gunboats to augment the effective, but rather small, Colonial Gunboat Mark I, the similar WTC designs, the converted whale boats of the Paradise Islands, and another heavy gun sloop out of King's Harbour. This has resulted in the following two designs: The Artillery Sloop No. 1, and Gun Sloop No. 2.

Artillery Sloop No. 1:

28100267499_7284dd593c_c.jpg

A heavily armed gunboat favouring firepower over agility. The main propulsion consists of the sails, while the oars serve mainly for short range manoeuvring, training of the guns, and calms weather attacks.

25008945497_5196a7d0f1_c.jpg

At the bow, a 32 pounder carronade is mounted for close quarter combat, together with two heavy mortars for long range.

28100267369_db7c743532_c.jpg

At the stern, two 18 pounders are placed.

Overall, this small mortar sloop has the firepower of a far larger ship, and can punch holes in any enemies it may encounter.

Gun Sloop No. 2:

39848295412_958494ffa2_c.jpg

A swift and agile gun sloop for coastal and port defence, as well as local patrolling. In a calm, such sloops may attack becalmed vessels, which are helpless to return fire.

39169821664_60757fda77_c.jpg

The 18 pounder at its bow can punch holes in all but the largest vessels, and the small mortar at the stern gives some extra firepower for long range engagements.

39848295312_32bb2260a6_c.jpg

Apart from the 10 oars, the gun sloop is a swift sailor. The lug sail and mast can be stowed when not in use.

Both will be licensed as class 2 warships.

These are 2 very well made gun boats!

Great job on making them completely different! Difficult to say which one is nicer than the other one :)

I agree with Maxim, they are indeed very well made. I like the reversed masonry bricks as gunwales on the second boat. I think we should take you off leadership duties so you can spend all your BoBS time producing beautiful looking ships for us! :pir_tong2:

Very nice pair of ships Bregir, I like your style of hull.  The waves are also well done! :thumbup: 

Some really nice sloops! I'm assuming you keep these built as you went through the work of rigging. Once our new house is complete I'm going to have to work on a display solution as I'm maxed out right now with the two ships I have left built.

Very neat sloops. Their curved hulls are very well built, I like your guns and their carriage. The rigging looks nice too.

I don't like warping string of lego... more : I strongly dislike it !!

But there's no denying that it works well... it rocks !

The two sloops are very nice, especially the second one, which is my favourite and which appear to be the most warped...

No doubt that I'm getting old. . :wacko:

More gunboats! Some really excellent work! I escpecially like the artillery sloop, she's a real heavy hitter. I'm also taking notes on the rigging, you always do it so well!

What a nice addition to the Brick Seas those gunboats are. Well done.

I love the colourscheme of the second ship, the way it is curved, the use of masonry bricks, the way the sails are attached. Very, very nice.