Sign in to follow this  
Exetrius

[Safe Haven Cat. C] The Exetrius Saga (18): Setting sail

Exetrius Saga

Previous chapters:

Episode 18: Setting sail

Sirius Centario and his companions had been searching throughout Kaliphlin for artifacts of water magic, which they eventually found in a wizard tomb in the Southern Desertlands. Having attained their goal, they were on their way back to Zotharith. Sirius insisted on travelling eastwards along the coastline , instead going north east, straight across Kaliphlin. The idea was simple: sightseeing, with a chance of boarding a trade vessel headed to Nocturnus. No luck thus far, although Stenran didn't mind. The white beaches, crescent bays and slanting cliffs were plenty interesting to explore on foot.

They had stopped for a rest in a quiet bay. Sirius went for a swim, Stenran went ahead to see what was behind the next turn in the shoreline. He turned around the corner, but immediately froze at the sight. Another small bay, with dozens of gigantic turtles on the beach... In addition, there were a total of four vessels in the bay: a big one with two hulls and three similar, smaller ones. Young, muscular men - he could see at least five of them - were on the lookout, not on high alert but with unknown intentions nonetheless. Silently go back and inform the others...

And then a recklessly enthousiastic Sirius came racing around the corner, propelling himself with water jets from his hands. Oh boy...

In the end it all worked out, somehow, miraculously. Though they couldn't understand balls of what the 'turtle guardians' were saying, it was clear that they believed a benevolent sea god had come to visit them, which resulted in one big feast. There was dance and music, laughter and fire, meat and booze. Next day, Stenran found himself on one of the small rafts, embarking on an unexpected adventure...

28153188219_094de2a3c9_z.jpg

39933133561_6f792dc037_z.jpg

Helmsman

"Eja, erm.. Stenran! Katapuja e."

Stenran

"Kata..puja.. eh?" 

Helmsman

"Katapuja e!"

39933131851_b2c1c0a4f4_z.jpg

39933135381_67e707a545_z.jpg

Stenran

"Whatever..."

To be continued....

Hello guild mates! I present to you my Cat. C entry to the Safe Haven contest. Hopefully those who do not follow my saga don't mind the text wall intro, it's just convenient for me to combine personal storylines with challenge builds! :classic: Anyway, this was a great exercise in building a raft and a water surface, two things I had not attempted before. Thoughts and comments are much welcomed, of course! :wink: 

Edited by Exetrius

Wow, you are already at chapter 18!

Defenitely a lovely little boat. Special mention to the colourscheme, you have used the dark medium flesh very well! :thumbup: 

Unexpected boat on its scale, but perfectly built execution, seems practical to use.
The figs expresions and posing are also a great match to the complete scene. :classic:

Very nice little craft, looks quite indigenous, I really like the sail!  The water is great too! :thumbup: 

On 28-1-2018 at 5:20 AM, mrcp6d said:

Sweet boat!

Thanks! 

On 28-1-2018 at 11:32 AM, TitusV said:

Wow, you are already at chapter 18!

Defenitely a lovely little boat. Special mention to the colourscheme, you have used the dark medium flesh very well! :thumbup: 

Yup, 18 episodes, not counting the ones for the Prologue! Maybe I should have named it the 'Centario Saga' or 'Zotharith Tales' though, since it's not really focussed on Exetrius. :shrug_oh_well:

I'm really liking the earthy tones like medium nougat and I think it blends better with dark tan than regular tan does, in this case. 

On 28-1-2018 at 1:39 PM, Niku said:

Unexpected boat on its scale, but perfectly built execution, seems practical to use.
The figs expresions and posing are also a great match to the complete scene. :classic:

For the sake of this challenge, I would have liked to go a little bigger with it, but I didn't really have the bricks for that. Maybe in the future. Thanks for your compliments! :sweet:

20 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

Very nice little craft, looks quite indigenous, I really like the sail!  The water is great too! :thumbup: 

Thanks, Kai! I looked at Polynesian ocean rafts for inspiration and added Egyptian and Central African elements to the mix as well. This was my first time doing water, so I'm glad it turned out well! :classic:

Oh ! Nice little ship !

I was not expecting a small ship here ! But it's a nice design !

I could "borrow" you some ideas to build native ships in BOBS... :grin:

Good job !

Great canoe with outrigger! The brick-built shaping of the hull is pretty good for that scale, too, and I like the sharply upturned horns at the bow and stern. I also like how you combined multiple sails all together to make one larger one. The water technique looks fairly similar to the one I use (blue plates with trans-light blue or -clear plates and tiles on top) and thus I think it looks good! 

When I first saw the LEGO Angry Birds ship set, I though the sails on there were pretty much useless, but you seem to have incorporated them seamlessly! The overall shaping seems kinda blocky, but I guess there isn't much you can do about that on such a small scale.

On 30-1-2018 at 1:23 PM, Faladrin said:

Oh ! Nice little ship !

I was not expecting a small ship here ! But it's a nice design !

I could "borrow" you some ideas to build native ships in BOBS... :grin:

Good job !

I'll stick with GoH, thanks! :grin:

On 30-1-2018 at 9:27 PM, Henjin_Quilones said:

Great canoe with outrigger! The brick-built shaping of the hull is pretty good for that scale, too, and I like the sharply upturned horns at the bow and stern. I also like how you combined multiple sails all together to make one larger one. The water technique looks fairly similar to the one I use (blue plates with trans-light blue or -clear plates and tiles on top) and thus I think it looks good! 

Thank you, sir! The outrigger was more challenging then I expected, mainly due to it being upside down and I didn't want to leave the anti-studs exposed.

On 31-1-2018 at 12:22 AM, KevinyWu said:

When I first saw the LEGO Angry Birds ship set, I though the sails on there were pretty much useless, but you seem to have incorporated them seamlessly! The overall shaping seems kinda blocky, but I guess there isn't much you can do about that on such a small scale.

Thanks, Kevin! :classic: I suppose it it appears a bit more blocky on photo due to the lighting, and partly because I'm working with two different colours for the hull. As you say, finding a better alternative at this scale will prove difficult, even when resorting to illegal techniques. 

Quite a well-done little boat, Exetrius! You did very well with the shaping on the hull, especially considering the limited space you have there. :thumbup: 
The sail and mast setup is excellent as well, and I like the bits of decoration on the side of the boat :classic:

Brilliant little boat :wub: The sail setup is tremendous :thumbup:
The way you have the water one plate higher than the border gives a lovely look here :classic:

On 1-2-2018 at 4:21 PM, LittleJohn said:

Quite a well-done little boat, Exetrius! You did very well with the shaping on the hull, especially considering the limited space you have there. :thumbup: 
The sail and mast setup is excellent as well, and I like the bits of decoration on the side of the boat :classic:

On 3-2-2018 at 2:43 AM, soccerkid6 said:

Brilliant little boat :wub: The sail setup is tremendous :thumbup:
The way you have the water one plate higher than the border gives a lovely look here :classic:

Thank you so much, guys! :sweet: