Sign in to follow this  
Bender222

x-wing S-foils

Is there a big reason that most people do not SNOT their x-wing s-foils? I ran across this t-65 on stud.io with snotted s-foils which look pretty good. Not a big fan of the fuselage and cockpit though. 

cos its too thick and a lot of people including me arent big fans of the SNOT look for everything.

a snotted foil is two plates thick, a tile piece ontop of a plate is the same thickness.The snotted one does not have exposed anti-studs or issues with the tiles not lining up with the edges. On the t-70 in particular, since the foil splits in half, you could actually make it thinner.

Well if you want to get really technical about it a SNOTed brick is 2 1/2 plates high, which would make a T-65 wing in closed position five plates thick instead of four and visually that does make quite a difference. 

I think that isn't the main reason most people don't do this though. The mechanism for hinging the S-foils properly is quite complex and changing the direction of the bricks in the wing doesn't make attaching them any easier. And making the wings sturdy enough without loosing any detail in their shape and coloring isn't that easy either.

I haven't seen any model yet that managed to achieve all of the above at minifig scale, yet. That doesn't mean that it's impossible though. You are very welcome to prove me wrong. ;) 

Cheers, Kit 

http://ldd.us.lego.com/en-us/gallery/07f7a9d2-af66-4351-8863-cfe8cd67b068?index=4&loadprivate=true&memberid=9d575d40-9448-4982-b12e-734cd9747dcc. I forgot to link what I was speaking of. Since the t-70 foils split horizontally and vertically, you would only have a full 2 x (2.5 plate) behind the engine intakes and between the wingtip lasers. The file that I found is a t65 though.

As others have said, using bricks sideways creates a silhouette that is 2.5 plates tall. With the wings open, it doesn't look too bad, but it's noticeably thicker than you would expect. The problem is exacerbated with wings shut, when you have a 5 plates tall silhouette. For a model built to "minifig scale" (which is completely arbitrary as minifigs are not human-shaped and so the scale can vary widely depending on which measurement you scale to - but that's another story), 5 plates is too out of whack compared to the rest of the model. 2 plates is also a little bit too thick but much closer to an acceptable size.

With the the T-70 it's different, because obviously the wings are constructed differently. Because the wings are behind one another when shut, using a snot method is much easier to justify and is closer to the right thickness than using the same idea for a T-65. (I think the leading edges of the wings on the T-70 are a little bit thicker than those on the original X-wing but that's just a visual guess) I did this with my T-70 and it looks pretty good, if a little flimsy.

wow,I dont know how I missed your moc. I have spent the last last week searching every x-wing moc and until just now have not seen wings as well made as yours. It is like you thought exactly as I did about the Snotting with the t-70 in particular as compared to the t-65. is there any chace you might share or sell the ldd? I dont think Id be able to even get close to what youve done on my own.

Edited by Bender222

Thanks. I was pretty inactive for several months until recently. I actually finished the t-70 back in March 2017 but I never got around to taking photos of it. I am planning on doing a shoot soon. I have't replicated any of it in LDD yet, mainly because I prefer to build with real bricks and there was no need to. If there is a lot of interest I could provide some breakdown shots or something but I have to reveal the whole thing first.

I spent some time trying to build from your WIP pics but I could not get beyond the wings (I could never get a good angle of how the intakes were mounted to the rest of the wings or how the scissor mechanism connected to the wings.