Sign in to follow this  
Flavius Gratian

[COR - Era II, Challenge I, Cat C - The Superb Orchid of Celestia] The Ruined Temple, and an orchid(?)

After travelling North-East for about two weeks and no signs of any native settlements, they ran into a great ridge. Both Edward and Samuel quickly decided that it would be too difficult to climb, instead they tried to go straight North in hope the hope of going around it. That hope seemed misplaced. Rathar than slowly falling and making and eventually become traversable, the ridge continued has tall as ever, it even seemed a bit taller after a few day's. Edward was could not understand it, "The temple is supposed to be due East, but this ridge is impossible to cross." After about a week they were ready to give up and return to Jameston, when they saw a gap ahead. It was a gorge, seemingly leading straight through the ridge.

25059795587_77ed116711_z.jpg

"This must be it!", Edward exclaimed, "This must be the way to the temple!"

"There is only one way to find out", said Samuel, "Mr Higgs, send one of your men to take the lead!"

39898786172_89b2774e9e_z.jpg

The bottom of the gorge was covered by thick undergrowth so it was hard buissness to get through. After a few hours they finally spotted the end. Outside they found a small vallley, surrounded by low hills to the North and South, offshoots from the ridge. In the centre of the valley stood som crumbling stones, the ruins of an old temple.

25059793697_b9e93acf72_z.jpg

"I guess the stories were true, this surely must be a thousand years old!" said Samuel "There's almost nothing left!"

Mr Higgs lead his men around the temple to secure a perimeter, in case there were any hostile native nearby, while Samuel and Edward walked in to what was left of the temple. They both stopped simultaneously. In the centre of the the ruined walls there stood a lone, huge red flower.

39898789012_bbd85f37d9_c.jpg

"That's the largest orchid I've ever seen!" whispered Samuel, "It must be the rumored Superb Orchid"

Both stood stunned, and knew neither what to do nor say.

Suddenly, they were awakened by a yell from Mr Higgs: "Somebody's coming!"

39898784632_c9afa61b84_z.jpg

OOC: I had forgotten about the clarification that it didn't have to be a single build, had I done so it would probably have been two: one for the gorge and one for the temple (come to think of it, the gorge could perhaps have been a geography for Cat B?). Unfortunatly, I don't have time to re-do it, so it'll have to do. Also, I don't know anything about flowers, I googled "orchid" and did my best, @Roadmonkeytj won't be surprised! Can they grow in single flowers? Is a big orchid really nothing special? Do they even what look like that? Is red a colour? What am I doing here?

In retrospect, I notice that the temple (or ruins, rather) is barely visible. But I promise it is there, it looked bigger in reality. I just went for the idea of it being completely destroyed.

I will be away for a few days so I won't respond to comments until I'm back. The conclusion of the story will not be part of the challenge (hopefully they'll actually meet some natives after all their travelling), so I'll finish when I have the time.

An overview of the build, for those interested:

Spoiler

25059797667_0e063db1fe_c.jpg

Thats quite the flower lol I think it turned out pretty good ... Some great story shots ... But who coming ... Are the hostile ... Are the some strange kult .... Are they head hunters ... 

As always, very good story telling!

The rockwork could use some finishing. Slopes, cheeseslopes, etc are always very usefull.

On 2018-01-28 at 1:47 AM, Roadmonkeytj said:

Thats quite the flower lol I think it turned out pretty good ... Some great story shots ... But who coming ... Are the hostile ... Are the some strange kult .... Are they head hunters ... 

Thank you! Stay tuned and you'll find out...

On 2018-01-29 at 9:47 AM, Maxim I said:

As always, very good story telling!

The rockwork could use some finishing. Slopes, cheeseslopes, etc are always very usefull.

Thank you! You're right, it could probably be better. The problem is that I don't have that many slopes and I had to rush this build a bit. But I'll keep it in mind for the future!