The SBRICK profile designer documentation is pretty cryptic.  Do the experts here at Eurobricks have some advice about using circuits and sequences to:

1. Gate a joystick control so that in one direction the motor only runs at full speed when the slider is moved all the way up (to 1.0), but leave the reverse control variable speed.

Application: Flipper control for PKW's TC11 battle bot wheeled scorpion.  The flipper fires with any forward motor motion, and often needs precise control when reloading.  Gating the forward control will help limit misfiring.

2. Start a sequence from a button controlling a motor that is also controller by a joystick.

Application:  Automatically fire, and then reload the flipper.

You can certainly control the same motor from different widgets. It's been a while since I've played around with it, but I think it's called "channel" or something - you put all the controls (joystick, button, slider) that you want to affect the same motor on the same "channel".

You can achieve 1) by having a button that runs your motor at full speed in one direction, and a slider that runs from 0 to full in the other direction.

With Captainowie's important hint and hours of trial and error, here's what I figured out.

To apply more that one control to a port, in the profile designer, name the channel of each control with the exact same name, for example "Flipper".  Then, in the SBRICK app, when you configure the ports, you will find a channel called "flipper" that is operated by multiple controls.  Those controls may include sequences with the same channel name.  If you assign gamepad controls, you can assign one gamepad control to each screen control you have set up.

Gating the control was really difficult to figure out.  You use a circuit.  The input is the particular control.  The Logic is "transform."  I wanted my joystick X axis to only run the flipper forward when the control was 90% to the left.  That is the negative direction.  So the upper limit was 0, and the lower limit was -.9.  Both closed boxes checked.  I think "closed" means less than the upper limit, and greater than the lower limit.  The circuit can be engaged or disengaged by pressing its button.  It can start out engaged ("Autostart YES"), or disengaged.