Sign in to follow this  
Gideon

[Era II, Ch IC - OL] Finding the Superb Orchid, Celestia

Finding the Superb Orchid, Celestia
This is my entry for Era II, Challenge 1, Category C.

The expedition led by Gideon Saulse de Bothnia has set out into the jungle.

39892257832_3bc58fa168_c.jpg
Trekking on ancient roads through the jungle.

Finally they reached the goal of the expedition. The scientific leader of the expedition writes in his diary:

“From the travels of Dr. Alistaire Garrett. Celestia, 27th day of the 1st month, 618 AE.

We had struggled very slowly through the jungle for many hours when finally we came upon an ancient road paved with square stones. It seemed like someone, probably the natives, have been keeping it clear of larger vegetation. Following this road our pace picked up and ancient ruins could be seen among the trees. Suddenly we saw a clearing in the dense forest and among the chattering of the birds we heard the purling sound of a small waterfall. To our left, we now saw two imposing temple structures. But what really caught my eyes was the largest and most splendid orchid I have ever seen. Our expedition must surely have found the Superb Orchid the natives were talking about!”

39924801571_01559430db_c.jpg
Finding the Superb Orchid among ancient holy buildings.

26052265378_209c5ea78a_c.jpg
Tranquility.

26052261008_20b89d1e64_z.jpg
Edan Braxton and Dr. Garrett spots the Superb Orchid.

26052262078_97bd65f3e6_z.jpg
Ancient temple.

39924801181_08b74db289_z.jpg
The Superb Orchid itself

Without figures and some closeups:

25053400167_fe4e07c79f_c.jpg

26052260088_19960410e0_c.jpg

39924802141_1935575a26_c.jpg
Tree trunk design inspired by this build by Legopard: https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/143225-moc-venice-1486/
Mine did not turn out as elegant however... :wink:

Some WIP pictures if anyone is interested in the workflow:

38836102074_4c2f0668d0_z.jpg

38649102655_4348fd6e5d_z.jpg

38869716294_e3612bc656_z.jpg

27801727149_36620e2146_z.jpg

39003178314_41c0c726bc_z.jpg

39824916452_699fb395c5_z.jpg

UFF!

Ehrm... yes. Just wow. Absolutely magnificent. Wonderful.  Brilliant. Stunning. Outstanding.

Nailed the challenge, the setting, most impressive execution and presentation. Awesome work.

2 hours ago, Elostirion said:

UFF!

Ehrm... yes. Just wow. Absolutely magnificent. Wonderful.  Brilliant. Stunning. Outstanding.

Couldn't find a more suitable answer! All those different plants, the waterfall, even the grading from the dbg rock to the reddish brown soil and the trans clear water... Just epic!

Awesome entry! My favorite part is the water area: the falls, the pond and the water lilies. Beautiful setting!

Once again : Wow ! what else...

Challenge closed ! We have a winner ! Congrats to all the participants... :grin::pir-laugh:

No, seriously, what an amazing entry ! I really missed your fabulous builds ! Hat's off sir ! :thumbup:

Funny, I started a build around the same style of waterfall and stream... But I will probably not be able to finish it in time...

Did you used mosasaurs fins to make the palm trees ?

Excellent job !

I bought them after seeing Mark of Falworth use them here:

But it was not until last year I tried my hand at dinosaur palm trees myself.

7 hours ago, Elostirion said:

UFF!

Nailed the challenge, the setting, most impressive execution and presentation. Awesome work.

^ this!

I loved your meso-American temple style in challenge V, and tried to mimic it with my jaguar tower. This however has got to be the ultimate expression of it. I think the water fall and pond are my favourite parts and the orchid itself is stunning. I think you have even managed to improve on Mark's dinosaur palms! As I said on Flickr, a true masterpiece.

1 hour ago, Ayrlego said:

I loved your meso-American temple style in challenge V, and tried to mimic it with my jaguar tower. This however has got to be the ultimate expression of it. I think the water fall and pond are my favourite parts and the orchid itself is stunning. I think you have even managed to improve on Mark's dinosaur palms! As I said on Flickr, a true masterpiece.

Thank you sir!

The Jaguar tower was actually my inspiration to revisit this architecture and to have a tower in my build :classic:
When I looked around for some inspirational pictures I then saw some photos of Palenque and did some kind of interpretation of a couple of the structures at that site.

I still think the composition of my old build was better, but I hope I've improved some of the techniques here especially the sloped roofs with plates and tiles was something I'm much happier with than using all slopes. And bigger is also a quality isn't it? :wink:

Forget the build where can i see more pictures of your build space .... I can only dream ...

The build though I can hear the sounds of the flowing water the birds echoing off the canopy the gentle breeze the slightly sticky humidity .... But that flower ... I think that is perfection of an orchid in real life size so in minifig wow.

Do you have more works of mezo style temples or structures?

Thanks! :classic:

7 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

Do you have more works of mezo style temples or structures?

Yes, I did my first attempt as part of this collab for Era I, challenge V. So a lot of the techniques I used here are reused from that build (I suppose I can blame cultural consistency? :wink:) or attempts to improve these. Can I call it a remix of my own build...? :classic:

Another epic build from you, beautiful ruins!  I love your flex tube trees, and of course the orchid looks great!  The yellow flowers close by the water also look really pretty.  Great job on the falls also! :thumbup: 

Excellent work here, Gideon!  Love that waterfall coming out - a great touch - and the moss-overgrown temple and the orchid are very nicely done as well :thumbup:  The trees and vegetation, not to mention the orchid itself, of course, are great; I particularly like the dinosaur-tail palm tree right next to the orchid - probably my favorite one!  The sheer size of this is fantastic too, and your photography is splendid as always!

@Gideon

To Dr. Alistaire Garrett

The Royal Society has received and reviewed your findings with great interest. And while the orchid described is most certainly sublime, the discovery of ancient ruins rivals it in scientific importance. As a result, we should like to invite you to give your initiation lecture to the Royal Society at your convenience, after which you will be considered a full fellow of the society.

Of all the discoveries on Celestia during the Orchid Rush of 618, yours have been found the most groundbreaking, and the Royal Society hopes that further studies into both the orchid and the origins of the ruins will lead to new insights on Celestia's past and present. Hence, we have bestowed upon you a research grant of 150 dbs to enable you to continue your scientific carreer.

Sincerely

The executive committee

The Royal Society of Natural Philosophy