UPDATE 4/19/18

Lots of progress on the truck. I decided to focus on the sleeper section instead of the hood for this update, as it seemed a lot more straightforward to build.

At this point the interior is pretty much complete, with seats, dashboard, and bed all in place. I do plan on adding some details in the interior, such as a TV above the bed. I've also routed the steering mechanism to the back of the cab, like how it's done on the 42078. 

Fortunately I've got a 3-day weekend ahead of me, so expect a lot of progress in the next few days. I'll be focusing on the roof, which could potentially be the most difficult part of the build due to all the weird angles in the part that sticks up above the sleeper (not sure what you call that). I'll try to do a lot of building the next 3 days and hopefully finish it before the end of the month. 

If you guys have any suggestions for me, please let me know.

Photos:

aeCd8fB.jpg

H3nj3WF.jpg

Edited by JLiu15

It is a nice progress :thumbup:, but did T600 not (mostly) use CAT engines like this one?

2007-Kenworth-T600-rMKd6i666vNs_b.jpg

Perhaps yellow engine would be better...

1 hour ago, Bricktrain said:

Pretty sure the T600 I used to drive was a Cummins N14

Caterpillar, Cummins and Detroit diesel are used engines (if Internet data are correct). I have suggested CAT engine simply because of it's yellow color since everything is already black on this truck :wink:

7 hours ago, I_Igor said:

It is a nice progress :thumbup:, but did T600 not (mostly) use CAT engines like this one?

2007-Kenworth-T600-rMKd6i666vNs_b.jpg

Perhaps yellow engine would be better...

Thanks for the suggestion! I’ll definitely put that into consideration as I keep building.

BTW do you have any suggestions as to how I make the rear view mirrors? The attachment looks really thin and I have no clue how to get that angled beam in there at such a small scale.

17 minutes ago, JLiu15 said:

Thanks for the suggestion! I’ll definitely put that into consideration as I keep building.

BTW do you have any suggestions as to how I make the rear view mirrors? The attachment looks really thin and I have no clue how to get that angled beam in there at such a small scale.

I have used combination of LEGO bar and pneumatic tubes for bull-bar on my Unimog U423 as you can see on this post

so you can use something from this list

https://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.asp?q=bar

in combination with clips...

1 hour ago, I_Igor said:

I have used combination of LEGO bar and pneumatic tubes for bull-bar on my Unimog U423 as you can see on this post

so you can use something from this list

https://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.asp?q=bar

in combination with clips...

Do you know any clips that can hold a bar at 45 degrees? There’s not much attachment space so I’ll have to make it as small as possible.

20 hours ago, JLiu15 said:

Do you know any clips that can hold a bar at 45 degrees? There’s not much attachment space so I’ll have to make it as small as possible.

Perhaps with bar 6 l and bar with clips and it can rotate 360 degrees

You are buildng nice truck! For me it will double intereating to campare finished model with my truck and Mack
1e3cdd495919440.JPG

17 hours ago, I_Igor said:

Perhaps with bar 6 l and bar with clips and it can rotate 360 degrees

I'll see. 6L seems way too long as it's even longer than the height of the door, which is 5 studs; I think 2-3 studs max for the straight and angled beams.

What do you mean by rotate 360 degrees? There isn't anything with the mirrors that would require full rotations. What I'm really trying to see is how I can make the part where the the straight and angled beams meet near the mirror. There doesn't seem to be an easy way to hold them with it being so small.

17 hours ago, Aleh said:

You are buildng nice truck! For me it will double intereating to campare finished model with my truck and Mack
1e3cdd495919440.JPG

That looks awesome! Looks really futuristic. I really like those Ferrari-ish wheel covers.

UPDATE 4/21/2018

As promised, I made lots of progress on this MOC the past few days. The entire cabin is now complete, and it's only missing the hood now (as well as some minor details like mirrors and exhausts). Below is a summary of this weekend's progress:

• Engine model changed to yellow to represent a Caterpillar engine
  • Interior completed with seats, dashboard, steering wheel, bed, and TV
  • Completed roof with the raised section above the sleeper (not sure what you call that part) and doors

At this point the truck is really starting to take shape. Overall, it looks pretty realistic, although there were some parts that look overly simplified (the windows on the raised part of the roof, for instance).

If you guys have any suggestions for me, please let me know.

Photos:

7xTfX6j.jpg

Csqv8sM.jpg

99aPL8p.jpg

YF4ha0T.jpg

Edited by JLiu15

The only suggestion I would have is to add a bit of color. It looks a bit like a big black box, which I think is a waste, because it looks like a nice truck, but it's hard to see.

I like the new upgrate!

But I do not like those gaps at the top of the sleeper, both sides and front. Maybe you have any ideas to rebuild this part of the sleeper?
It's only my point of view.

The color is good so far, it depends on what you do for the detail parts of the truck.  

For example... Big Black box with some chrome looks really good in my opinion.  

5ad9ae902e5a8e32722b2487.jpg?width=550&h

Edited by aminnich

6 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

The only suggestion I would have is to add a bit of color. It looks a bit like a big black box, which I think is a waste, because it looks like a nice truck, but it's hard to see.

I've yet to add the rear exhausts, which will be gray. I'll probably make the side and hood mirrors gray as well. If possible I may also experiment with custom stickers to mark the door on the sleeper.

2 hours ago, Aleh said:

I like the new upgrate!

But I do not like those gaps at the top of the sleeper, both sides and front. Maybe you have any ideas to rebuild this part of the sleeper?
It's only my point of view.

They're supposed to represent windows, but I get it, they're ridiculously hard to reproduce in Lego, so I just kinda approximated it.

I didn't want to make it a flat top, as it would look rather boring.

32 minutes ago, aminnich said:

The color is good so far, it depends on what you do for the detail parts of the truck.  

For example... Big Black box with some chrome looks really good in my opinion.  

5ad9ae902e5a8e32722b2487.jpg?width=550&h

Unfortunately it's difficult for me to get chromed pieces - I'm 17 and my parents don't let me order from international stores like Chrome Block City, and they're pretty expensive as well. There will be some gray coming in though, such as the exhausts, side mirrors, and front grille.

On 4/22/2018 at 5:32 AM, JLiu15 said:

I'll see. 6L seems way too long as it's even longer than the height of the door, which is 5 studs; I think 2-3 studs max for the straight and angled beams.

What do you mean by rotate 360 degrees? There isn't anything with the mirrors that would require full rotations. What I'm really trying to see is how I can make the part where the the straight and angled beams meet near the mirror. There doesn't seem to be an easy way to hold them with it being so small.

I meant that you can put this one https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=48729#T=C in pin for upper and lower holder, then use this bar https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=30374#T=C in vertical placement and use this https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=15712#T=C plates with clip on bar 4 L to hold a mirror. with this combo you can get full rotation (if you need)

sorry for late response

7 hours ago, I_Igor said:

I meant that you can put this one https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=48729#T=C in pin for upper and lower holder, then use this bar https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=30374#T=C in vertical placement and use this https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=15712#T=C plates with clip on bar 4 L to hold a mirror. with this combo you can get full rotation (if you need)

sorry for late response

Thanks! I'll check it out sometime.

2 hours ago, JLiu15 said:

Thanks! I'll check it out sometime.

:thumbup:

UPDATE 5/10/18

The Kenworth has been completed, totaling 72 hours of build time. Only one Bricklink order was made during the building process, and that was just for the metal hook!

I will find some time in the next few weeks to get it filmed. I'll try to get the video uploaded before the end of the month as I will be moving across the country next month.

As of right now, I plan to display this MOC at the BrickFair Lego Expo in Chantilly, VA this August.