5 hours ago, I_Igor said:

Progress looks OK :thumbup:

Thanks!

I'm beginning work on the actual truck part of it now. The building process was weird for this MOC - most people start with the truck, but I started with the trailer as it's more "function-dense"

UPDATE 3/15/18

Hey guys, it's been a while since I've been on Eurobricks. I was in Atlanta last week so I did not have much time to work on my MOCs, but I've recently done a complete makeover of the knuckle boom crane.

After hearing from several of you that the original crane was too large and bulky, I decided that I would have to make a smaller and more compact crane. The new crane is not only closer to scale but also functions better, as the original crane operated sluggishly due to its heavier weight.

The new crane still has the same functions as the original, but it is a lot more simple. I've removed all unnecessary parts, such as the panels, and I've made the entire crane narrower. I decided not to use the Arocs gear rack this time for the jib, as it does not attach to the boom as firmly as simply using beams. The winch still has a pulley system, but the string is routed through the bottom of the jib this time. 

Photos:

9yPqTEf.jpg

tjzdRdl.jpg

dQAbicr.jpg

SS8QQdM.jpg

Wkxs2km.jpg

rMKx5Vb.jpg

Edited by JLiu15

13 minutes ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

Awesome! Looks a lot better now.

1 minute ago, Aventador2004 said:

Way better! Like the truck so far.

Thank you :)

UPDATE 3/31/18

Hey guys, I have begun work on the actual Kenworth T600 part of the MOC. I have the chassis pretty much complete by this point. The chassis is similar to that of the 42078, as I wanted to use it as a "template" to guide me as I build the body. However, the chassis is far from identical to the 42078 as I used rack-and-pinion steering instead of the linkages system (as this is more realistic) and I also used a regular piston engine instead of the one with axles and bushes as the "pistons". 

At this point, I want to make the chassis similar enough to the 42078 so that I can use it as a template to work with, but I don't want it to be too similar. This is why I used a different steering mechanism and piston engine. However, I'm debating whether to keep the engine as it is, or should I use something like the 42078's? I know real Kenworth T600's don't use flat 6's, but I don't want it to feel like I'm copying the 42078 either. 

If you guys have any advice regarding the build, please let me know.

Photos:

ZYesi15.jpg

P13LRgf.jpg

gjK9YJh.jpg

NaQP4ga.jpg

Edited by JLiu15

Hm if you make inline engine, it will go between seats as well, but is there T600 with longer nose or just one version (I know it is not cab over version)?

1 hour ago, Aventador2004 said:

It's coming along well! Keep going!

Thank you!

25 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

Hm if you make inline engine, it will go between seats as well, but is there T600 with longer nose or just one version (I know it is not cab over version)?

I’m just modeling a standard version of the Kenworth T600. I’ll see how much space I have as the build progresses. I may reduce it to 4 cylinders or change it to a V6 as the current setup looks absurdly wide to me. 

Firstly I don't know where you learned that trucks use rack and pinion, but pretty much all trucks use linkage steering (including the T600). Although, one could argue that the Mack's linkage system in the set is unrealistic. Secondly the engine from the Mack set is very realistic. The lego pistons are too large for this scale besides, most trucks use inline 6s or V8s (you are using a boxer type). 

Using the the same same technical principles does not make your truck a replica. 

BTW the type of crane on your trailer is called a kuckleboom and the larger models are quite bulky.

Edited by Beck

2 hours ago, JLiu15 said:

Thank you!

I’m just modeling a standard version of the Kenworth T600. I’ll see how much space I have as the build progresses. I may reduce it to 4 cylinders or change it to a V6 as the current setup looks absurdly wide to me. 

I understand. If I remember correctly few years ago there was log loader set truck that looked like Peterbilt with 4 cylinder engine; I think it was 9397 set...

6 hours ago, Beck said:

Firstly I don't know where you learned that trucks use rack and pinion, but pretty much all trucks use linkage steering (including the T600). Although, one could argue that the Mack's linkage system in the set is unrealistic. Secondly the engine from the Mack set is very realistic. The lego pistons are too large for this scale besides, most trucks use inline 6s or V8s (you are using a boxer type). 

Using the the same same technical principles does not make your truck a replica. 

BTW the type of crane on your trailer is called a kuckleboom and the larger models are quite bulky.

I don’t know much about these trucks but from previous Lego technic truck sets I see rack and pinions used. If possible can you please send me a picture of such a mechanism? 

As for the engine, I guess I’m changing it to the 42078 kind

4 hours ago, I_Igor said:

I understand. If I remember correctly few years ago there was log loader set truck that looked like Peterbilt with 4 cylinder engine; I think it was 9397 set...

Oh yeah that one. But I see that it’s at a larger scale.

I’m thinking about ditching the regular pistons for a 42078-like engine. It won’t be identical, but will function similarly

For small scale MOCs is 42078-like engine probably best compromise

UPDATE 4/1/18

Hey guys, after hearing some of your guys's opinions on this MOC I decided after all that I should use a mini piston engine instead. To me this looks much more realistic now in terms of proportion, as the truck is built at a small scale. It's not exactly the same as the way it was done on the 42078, but the working principles are the same.

Photos:

4suDjz6.jpg

8wa33Zb.jpg

U54tt6T.jpg

4Dfm9QP.jpg

Edited by JLiu15

3 hours ago, Beck said:

Like this:

Removed quoted picture.

Although, this system would be very difficult to implement at your scale. 

Here's a picture from a T600

https://d2uhsaoc6ysewq.cloudfront.net/2371/Steering-Gears--Racks-Kenworth-T600-9598870.jpg

Personally I would stick with the rack and pinion for simplicity.

Yeah. This isn't meant to be too accurate after all. I'm mostly focusing on making the body accurate.

However, I did take your advice of making the engine with mini pistons, and I think it looks so much better proportionally.

Edited by Milan
Removed quoted picture.

3 hours ago, Beck said:

Sounds good! I apologize if I came of a bit harsh.

Nah you’re good. Seeing this as a MOC I’m taking to BrickFair ig it’s true I have to be a little harder on this MOC - for example, it probably would not have gone well in terms of reception if I continued using the regular engine blocks. I’ve also started to add stuff to the chassis, such as the front bumper and the seats, and I’ll probably do another update sometime next week. 

UPDATE 4/7/18

There's been some good progress on this MOC lately. I've finished the bumper, which is pretty simple but I've used tiles and slopes to model the bottom of it. I've also put some simple seats in the interior, and I've added those side panels (I'm not sure what you call them) as well as the steps. 

Now that the chassis is essentially finished, I'll probably be modeling the hood next. I might make a Bricklink order or two in the process as I anticipate using a good amount of System pieces to model it. The sleeper section seems much more straightforward, and I'll probably try to fit a bed of some sort in there. 

If you guys have any advice regarding the build, please let me know. I anticipate finishing this MOC towards the end of this month at the earliest or sometime in May.

Photos:

ut8wnjb.jpg

jy3gmK9.jpg

NVtiBXL.jpg

aMseg5O.jpg

Edited by JLiu15

Bumper looks very similar to Mack Anthem...but it suits the side panels very well. Which cab color do you plan?

5 hours ago, I_Igor said:

Bumper looks very similar to Mack Anthem...but it suits the side panels very well. Which cab color do you plan?

Black

a lot of the stuff here is similar to the Mack anthem, because ig that’s how most US trucks look. As I move onto the bodywork a lot of stuff will probably be distinct from the Mack anthem.