Hey guys, here's a new MOC I've just started making. It's going to be a motorcycle, and so far I've completed its rear wheel module, with the drive motors already in place.

It will feature:

• Drive, with the 2 L motors, geared 1:1
  • Steering, which will be controlled by a M motor
    • The final design will be similar to something like the Batpod, with the front wheel far in front of the chassis. This means steering will probably end up like that of a wheel loader, where the vehicle turns on an articulated joint (hopefully that makes sense). The front wheel module will be attached to the chassis via 2 large turntables, and the bike will steer simply by transferring gear drive to the turntables. (The steering motor will be geared down of course to ensure stability)
  • Rear suspension 

The entire model will be, of course, controlled by SBrick. A rechargeable battery will power it in order to reduce weight.

I'm making this MOC to give some out-of-the-ordinary applications for the Claas tires, which, in this case, is using them on a bike. I also think that my first remote controlled bike MOC (the Stealth Bike from 2016) was not so great, so I'm making a second bike to see if I can make it perform better :classic:

The video will be, of course, filmed outdoors.

This MOC is, of course, going to be pretty simple. But I'm already making plans for my BrickFair VA 2018 MOCs, one of which is already underway.

If you have any suggestions, let me know in the comments below.

Photos:

k3LFXsZ.jpg

JUn77Rq.jpg

qF7a3tl.jpg

mz9lzQS.jpg

1FYQKYF.jpg

JWamD5t.jpg

Edited by JLiu15

Wouldn't this gearing be too fast? Those gears, most probably, will slip.

Anyway, interesting idea.

6 hours ago, Jurss said:

Wouldn't this gearing be too fast? Those gears, most probably, will slip.

Anyway, interesting idea.

Thanks!

I’ll see as the build progresses. I put some reinforcement in the perpendicular gear thing. At this point I’m most worried about the motors not having enough torque to power it, but fortunately I can easily change it to a 12:20 ratio.

My goal is to keep it as light as possible, so that i can get some good speed out of it.

6 hours ago, Mechbuilds said:

That's one fast bike.. 

Yes haha :laugh: but it won’t be anywhere close to the performance you’d get out of an RC motor. I’d love to get 1-2 of them but those things are so dang expensive these days smh

8 hours ago, IA creations said:

That is a nice way to insert 2 hubs on a wheel ;)

Thanks! Yeah it really helps keep the wheel firmly attached

Edited by JLiu15

Hey guys, I know this post is kinda early since I just posted a WIP of the Monster Bike yesterday, but I think the progress I made today is worthy of a new post, since this is a lot of progress for a small project.

So basically at this point the entire rear section of the bike is complete. I've installed the SBrick (which is hidden behind the shock absorbers and between the panels) and I've completed a good chunk of the body. Due to this being a small MOC, I thought of this as a good opportunity to use a lesser-common color within the Technic realm: orange. (I've done the same thing with my Azure Racer and Lime Tracker from the fall of last year where I took advantage of the MOC's small size to use a more uncommon color). Most of my orange pieces come from the 42052 and 42060 sets, which is not a lot but sufficient for creating a small MOC. 

The only part I'm not so happy with is the exposed 5x7 frame. Pretty much everything on there right now is held together (or at least reinforced) by the two frames, and I can't cover it up easily as it would make the model too wide.

I've also done some speed tests with this thing, and I found the speed to be pretty impressive. However, I may end up changing the gear ratio if the motors start to get sluggish later on in the build. There's also the issue of it being unstable when fast driving, but thankfully the SBrick app allows proportional control of the motors, so I can always drive it at slow speed when necessary.

If you have any suggestions, let me know in the comments below.

Photos:

Tlb98vl.jpg

lPvIIvf.jpg

dTVSE52.jpg

YlTsft3.jpg

4PY0703.jpg

AHbDDuz.jpg

Edited by JLiu15

why did you made new topic? If you want keep updates, you can easily change topic name.

11 hours ago, JLiu15 said:

Hey guys, I know this post is kinda early since I just posted a WIP of the Monster Bike yesterday, but I think the progress I made today is worthy of a new post, since this is a lot of progress for a small project.

No.
We can't have a new topic every time when there is a new update to the WIP moc. As already said, you can change the topic's name and inform the viewers what is new in your build.
Also, much easier to keep track of the progress. Have fun!

6 hours ago, Jurss said:

why did you made new topic? If you want keep updates, you can easily change topic name.

Sorry, I’m new to eurobricks and don’t know how everything works exactly yet. I thought topics couldn’t be edited once submitted so i posted a new one.

1 hour ago, Milan said:

No.
We can't have a new topic every time when there is a new update to the WIP moc. As already said, you can change the topic's name and inform the viewers what is new in your build.
Also, much easier to keep track of the progress. Have fun!

Thanks!

btw really sorry about this but i’m new here to eurobricks and i’m still trying to understand how everything works as to posting new topics. 

I know this kinda sounds stupid but where exactly do you go (like what do u click on) in order to change a topic name and add to it? I thought topics were final and could not be edited further.

1 hour ago, JLiu15 said:

Sorry, I’m new to eurobricks and don’t know how everything works exactly yet. I thought topics couldn’t be edited once submitted so i posted a new one.

You can edit your topics as much as you want (you should only do this when needed, obviously).

1 hour ago, JLiu15 said:

btw really sorry about this but i’m new here to eurobricks and i’m still trying to understand how everything works as to posting new topics. 

I know this kinda sounds stupid but where exactly do you go (like what do u click on) in order to change a topic name and add to it? I thought topics were final and could not be edited further.

No need to be sorry. We were all once new on this site. You can always ask if something is not fully clear.
If you want to edit your topic, or to change its name, you can just use edit button, or click on the topic name, once you are "in" said topic.

You can find more useful info in EB's Guidelines.

Interesting project.

I'm not sure I'm a fan of the exposed L motors, but I guess it's the best solution efficiency-wise. You get the most power out of them if the drive train is short like you did.

Black with orange seems to work quite well. For the frames, they are new this year in black, 4x in the rally car and 1x in the first responder (according to https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=64179&colorID=11&in=A.) That would probably suit your color scheme much better. Personally, I would remove the two 3L thin beams between the orange 3x11 panel and the two small panels behind it. That would make the rear end 1 stud shorter, but would create a continuous orange line. But that's just personal taste.

Anyhow, you're well underway. Suspension is rather straightforward and your drive solution is also nice and simple, so I'm curious how you will be doing the front part. That will be interesting, with the steering function.

7 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

Interesting project.

I'm not sure I'm a fan of the exposed L motors, but I guess it's the best solution efficiency-wise. You get the most power out of them if the drive train is short like you did.

Black with orange seems to work quite well. For the frames, they are new this year in black, 4x in the rally car and 1x in the first responder (according to https://www.bricklink.com/As catalogItemIn.asp?P=64179&colorID=11&in=A.) That would probably suit your color scheme much better. Personally, I would remove the two 3L thin beams between the orange 3x11 panel and the two small panels behind it. That would make the rear end 1 stud shorter, but would create a continuous orange line. But that's just personal taste.

Anyhow, you're well underway. Suspension is rather straightforward and your drive solution is also nice and simple, so I'm curious how you will be doing the front part. That will be interesting, with the steering function.

Thanks!

You're right about the L-motors. I know it looks ugly but it keeps friction to a minimum. I've tested it and the speed is really impressive.

As for the 5x7 frames, I do agree that black would make the color more uniform, but the goal of my smaller projects is to take full advantage of the parts I have rather than get new parts. Also since they just came out the prices are still a bit high, so I'll see.

As for the 2 3L thin beams, I do think it kinda breaks up the orange, but since they have axle holes in them they keep the 2 orange mini panels firmly attached, as opposed to when I connect them directly with axle pins - they tend to wobble around easily due to the lack of a "solid" connection between the two panels. And as for the steering, I'm planning on using a servo motor that steers the front wheel via a link. 

Anyways, thanks for your input! I'll probably finish the MOC in the next week or so but since I'll be busy with school in the upcoming weeks I might not get to the filming until mid-February. 

12 hours ago, Milan said:

You can edit your topics as much as you want (you should only do this when needed, obviously).

No need to be sorry. We were all once new on this site. You can always ask if something is not fully clear.
If you want to edit your topic, or to change its name, you can just use edit button, or click on the topic name, once you are "in" said topic.

You can find more useful info in EB's Guidelines.

So do I click "reply to this topic" whenever I want to update to a WIP topic? I figured out how to change names of topics, but do I have to change its name every time I update it, or is it recommended that I do?

3 hours ago, JLiu15 said:

do I have to change its name every time I update it, or is it recommended that I do?

No, most people don't change it at all. It is up to you.

Interesting project, but orange is (of course IMHO) not the best color for monster bike...

5 hours ago, Milan said:

No, most people don't change it at all. It is up to you.

Okay thanks!

1 hour ago, I_Igor said:

Interesting project, but orange is (of course IMHO) not the best color for monster bike...

Well, seeing that I’ve never used orange before in any of my MOCs, I thought that a small MOC would be a perfect opportunity to, since I don’t have THAT many orange parts for a big MOC, but thanks :)

16 hours ago, JLiu15 said:

Well, seeing that I’ve never used orange before in any of my MOCs, I thought that a small MOC would be a perfect opportunity to, since I don’t have THAT many orange parts for a big MOC, but thanks :)

That could be looked as challenge to make it in different color than similar mocs :thumbup:

Had me a little laugh when opening the thread, saw it was a bike in the title, then the first image I see is a claas wheel with two motors on it I was like "woah, that escalated quickly" :D

Anyway, looking good so far, but it could really use some of those new black panels for laterals that are so exposed. But after you're done with the functions, since those are core.

It would look better if the motors could be inside the body but it's not always possilbe. I like how this is coming along.

H

2 hours ago, anatem said:

Had me a little laugh when opening the thread, saw it was a bike in the title, then the first image I see is a claas wheel with two motors on it I was like "woah, that escalated quickly" :D

Anyway, looking good so far, but it could really use some of those new black panels for laterals that are so exposed. But after you're done with the functions, since those are core.

Thanks! I'm glad you like it!

I've finished the body of it at this point but I still have to make some revisions to it because it kinda looks ugly :laugh: and I'm thinking of ways to steer it, preferably with a servo motor. I'll probably update the thread once the body and steering mechanism are in place but still lacking the front wheel. BTW which black panels?

2 hours ago, Horace T said:

It would look better if the motors could be inside the body but it's not always possilbe. I like how this is coming along.

H

Thanks! Yeah I wish the motors could be less exposed, but this is the most direct way of drive possible, and the current speed is really impressive. I may have to change the gear ratio towards the end of the build though if the motors seem to become underpowered, but I'm almost finished with the body and it can still go pretty fast; just tends to tip over sometimes at high speed but I can always drive it slow when necessary since SBrick app allows proportional control

Sorry, I meant frames, the 5x7 black ones from 2018 1H mentioned above. Don't know how well panels would work on the sides, but they might.

Also, I like the motors exposed in this model, makes it feel more rugged.

Gl!

Edited by anatem

Just now, anatem said:

Sorry, I meant frames, the new ones in 2018 1H mentioned above.

Also, I like the motors exposed in this model, makes it feel more rugged.

Gl!

Oh yeah those black 5x7 frames from the 42077. However, the goal of my smaller MOCs is to take advantage of the pieces I have rather than to order stuff on Bricklink for it, and considering that buying them on Bricklink is still relatively expensive, I probably won't change them unless I get the 42077. But thanks :classic: