Sign in to follow this  
Turaga of Force

Color variation in UCS Star Destroyer?

Is it true that some copies of the UCS Star Destroyers use the original light gray while others use light blay? If this is true, is there any way to know before opening the set? (unless of course its bought online)

And does this ever happen with the Death Star?

Thanks!

Dylan

There were two distinct variations of the 10030 UCS Star Destroyer. From 2002 to early 2006 (or late 2005?), they were produced in the old gray colors. After that, Lego began selling the second production run, this time in bley. I don't know of any way to tell if a sealed 10030 is old gray or bley; I own an old gray model from 2004 and a bley model I purchased this year, and the boxes are 100% identical.

The 10143 Death Star II was released in 2005, after the bley-gray switch, and was only available in bley.

Is it true that some copies of the UCS Star Destroyers use the original light gray while others use light blay? If this is true, is there any way to know before opening the set? (unless of course its bought online)

And does this ever happen with the Death Star?

Thanks!

Dylan

I was shown a nice trick by a guy at a lego shop and at least for some sets, there isn't any printed code to tell you, however a date of production is embedded in the box, basically just a stamp which squashes down the box without altering box colour at all and you can se eit if you look carefully. I know this can be done for train tracks to check for grey/bley.