cehnot

The Journey back to Echo Base

That matte painting is also on the X-Wing wall which then differs greatly for the cross sections and other materials. 

I guess another way to look at this is since this is meant to be shared and modular its easier to start with 5 and then if someone wants to have less its easy enough to eliminate one and adjust then try to add one in. 

I think the big Problem is that there has never been a real Echo Base.

You have got a Echo Base in the Film, which has been built to fit most perfect in the movie including things like camera position, view on actors etc.

Than there have been guys who had their own thoughts/creations that are shown in the plans postet. So what is right and what is wrong?

Only George Lucas has the force to tell us :grin:

Spoiler
Spoiler

All good points. I am taking a break from this project to finish several others. Maybe I will have better solutions later as I think about the cairns in the back of the base. I did go to Lego store to view the falcon, since I currently do not own one. I plan on using it for parts. I think I will take the falcon and combine it with Marshal's version. Both are within 4 bricks of each other so I cannot unseen the huge difference his version does and achieves. I think having the official printed cockpit and such will help mod Banana's version quite well. I would love to make it have a full interior, but frankly I care more about proportions and how it would look displayed in the hangar or on a shelf. I do plan on doing an LDD file with the conversion so everybody has a chance to build the ship I do. 

Whether I can physically build this huge base in the future, I will at least have the base built in LDD. I think it would be lovely to do every single room of the base and make the whole thing modular. This would be a great community project for a convention. 
I could imagine that 4 to 6 people could easily build the hangars, and some of the inner rooms. Based on my math Echo Base would need to be 35 x 30 + baseplates (48 stud plates) I could be wrong. The transport hangar along is about 3 times the size of Hangar 7. I wish somebody did a cargo transport to scale. That would need to be 6 to 8 feet long I think. Not sure of the size, never did the math. If only I won the lottery, I would invest in doing all of echo base myself and try to get it housed at a lego land or somewhere people could see it in public. 

Is there an LDD file of cehnot's bay out there?  I'd like to save some time and start working on this without reduplicating work that's already been done.  I do have one .lxf of the bay already (msilvia7's), but the back wall is all wrong and the architecture is a little too simple.

Just to complicate this topic... they pulled trick shots in the film, so that the hangar appears to be as at least twice the depth of the actual set...

This is clearest in the establishing scene near the start of the movie, where Han rides into a "front area" without the X-wing in the middle...

8154063664_0fd02ba9fa_b.jpg

... then dismounts and walks into a "rear area" past Luke's X-wing to the Falcon.

header2-1536x864-409115546569.jpg

The camera in the first of these shots is actually close up to the Falcon on the set, and the camera in the second shot is beside the set door, but the pacing and composition of the scene create the clear and deliberate sense of a much bigger hangar with a filming position in the middle and the camera panning round...

You can also see this when the T-47s deploy - Luke's group launch leading inwards from the doors, then another group launch at the back leading up to the Falcon...

And again in the matte-painting-modified shots when the Falcon takes off.

star-wars5-movie-screencaps-com-3913.jpg

UhSobU7.jpg

Note how different the roof crevasses are, and the apertures on the side where the T-47s were parked. Again, within the confines of the set, the first camera position is beside the doors, the second camera position is next to the Falcon's pad, but the impression given is of a sweep around from a central viewing position, "doubling" the length compared with the set.

Brilliant, persuasive filmmaking.

The viewer gets the consistent impression that the three X-wing bays leading in from the entrance are a "front" section that's separate from the "back" section with the three bays leading to the Falcon. The hangar as shown is at least six X-wing bays deep. When the Falcon takes off, the number of bay openings that rush past the cockpit viewports suggest that even this doubling of the "built" length might be a serious underestimate.

Fly casual!

Ewok

Edited by Random Ewok

I did extensive research on this in my hanger bay topic. The hanger is 3 bays long and the set was too. Falcon sits in front of one. best scene to see the bat is when chewy is on top of the falcon and Han yells at him while fixing stuff. They built everything and there are references from official schematics showing the bay is 3 short bays that are long, and 2 tall ceiling bays where they held the speeders. I Will admit the games over the years changed it a lot. I did a whole topic for people on Eurobricks about the hanger bay proportions and what George Lucas actually intended it to be for the film. Hope this helps you. 

By your "hangar bay topic", do you mean the earlier part of this thread, or did that discussion continue in another one which I missed?

Regardless, your earlier discussion in this thread is the best analysis I'd found about the Echo Base hangar on the internet, not just in the Lego context - but I'm going to respectfully disagree with you a little. I reckon that if you look closely at way the set is filmed, you see that they deliberately created an impression of an actual hangar (at least) twice the length of the set.

I'm not sure which scene with Chewie you mean, though, and as you are the expert on this, I'm aware you may have noticed something that I've missed...

Fly casual!
Ewok