Recommended Posts

For instructions, I highly recommend BluePrint. It uses an algorithm to build from the bottom to the top. its also very easy to then re-order the pieces to have instructions that are readable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, supertruper1988 said:

For instructions, I highly recommend BluePrint.

Thank you. I will have a look at Blueprint.

I tried to use the built in instruction feature from LDD earlier and it spat out a 400 page manual which wasn't in a particularly logical order.

I would like the option to manually fine tune the instructions but don't want to have to spend ages messing with it. So something pretty user friendly is what I'm looking for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the mention! I have a fairly limited supply of bricks at home (well that's subjective of course, my wife would say I have waaaaaaaay too many bricks :wink:) and since I live in central Stockholm and am not a megabillionaire, space is somewhat limited as well so I mostly build in LDD. But the same drawback follows in building digitally as with all digital vs physical creative processes I would say; there's not as big a chance for "happy accidents" when you work in a digital environment. What I mean by that is if you sit with real pieces chances are bigger that you will look at something and realize that perhaps you can use it in a way you hadn't thought of which I think is a lot less likely to happen when you work digitally. So my goal is actually to move away more from digital building. The benefit is of course that you have access to an infinite number of parts.
But I will work in LDD and then adjust and improve when I do the physical building; sometimes things that look good on a screen might not look as good in real life. 

In terms of inspiration for what to do for me it's more of a challenge to decide which of all ideas I want to work on. I get such a tremendous amount of inspiration of all the fantastically talented builders that I see everyday on blogs and Flickr. But personally I like to work from some type of narrative if you will: I try to imagine what the building is for, who lives/visits it and make small scenes both in my head and in the build to make it come alive. Some people are more interested in the architectural design I guess but for me the playfulness is part of what makes it fun for me. I'm too old to be able to actually play with Lego so this acts as a bit of an adult stand-in version of playing. 

Specific goals or challenges can also work as motivation I think. For instance with my latest build I wanted to do something that had many round shapes and curves since the first build I did was much more square in it's design. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Millions of thanks @fillishave! Really happy to receive one more response!

23 hours ago, fillishave said:

I get such a tremendous amount of inspiration of all the fantastically talented builders that I see everyday on blogs and Flickr.

The Inspiration you got is very visible, just compare your first and second modular! Well, there's quite a lot of difference between them, you do know how I love your second modular! :wub_drool:

23 hours ago, fillishave said:

Specific goals or challenges can also work as motivation I think.

This sounds very interesting. Why not after all?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many thanks @LegoModularFan for adding me to your list of MOC builders in the first post. :thumbup: not really sure I'm  qualified yet to give tips on building as my convenience store is the first one I've designed.

There are a couple of things I learned from building my first MOC though that may be useful to other beginners and people who are just getting in to it.

On 01/04/2018 at 11:18 PM, fillishave said:

I will work in LDD and then adjust and improve when I do the physical building; sometimes things that look good on a screen might not look as good in real life. 

I can definitely echo this comment by @fillishave. I designed my building using LDD which I found very fun to use and pretty user friendly. The whole design came together pretty quickly and it wasn't long before I felt it was finished and I was ready to have a go at building it with real bricks. It was only at this point when I realised the LDD model was nowhere near finished. After seeing the model built for real there were a lot of things that looked good on screen that just didn't look right in real life, so I went back to the drawing board and made quite a few changes until I got it to a point I was happy with.

So I think LDD is a vital tool for designing mocs but there are certain things that are difficult to visualise and create without using actual real lego bricks.

Another thing I'll say is that since I started designing my own modulars, I have become much more aware and observant of buildings in real life. It's amazing how much inspiration can be gained just from looking at everyday buildings all around us.

A few weeks ago I was shopping on my local high street and I found myself looking up at the roof details on the shops and buildings that I normally wouldn't have given a second look at. Some of them were really intricate and I found myself considering how they could be recreated with lego. I actually grabbed my phone and took a few photos much to my wife's amusement. :laugh:

Anyway this has proven to be quite a useful tool for providing me with inspiration and ideas, and I definitely think it helps to make lego mocs look more realistic if some of the details are based on elements from real buildings and architecture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many thanks @Bricked1980!

On 4/5/2018 at 12:34 AM, Bricked1980 said:

not really sure I'm  qualified yet to give tips on building as my convenience store is the first one I've designed.

Your convenience store is one of the best first MOCs from a beginner I've ever seen! You can easily understand this from how many replies you had and from whom! :classic: I feel some brilliant modulars are coming by you in near future!

On 4/5/2018 at 12:34 AM, Bricked1980 said:

but there are certain things that are difficult to visualise and create without using actual real lego bricks.

Agreed.

On 4/5/2018 at 12:34 AM, Bricked1980 said:

A few weeks ago I was shopping on my local high street and I found myself looking up at the roof details on the shops and buildings that I normally wouldn't have given a second look at. Some of them were really intricate and I found myself considering how they could be recreated with lego. I actually grabbed my phone and took a few photos much to my wife's amusement. :laugh:

Same here! I started to have a big interest in architecture thanks to Lego too! I started to be a "tourist" in Paris... :grin: when I have some time, I visit and take photos of buildings and architectural details! I look everywhere from a new perspective now! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

Your convenience store is one of the best first MOCs from a beginner I've ever seen! You can easily understand this from how many replies you had and from whom! :classic: I feel some brilliant modulars are coming by you in near future!

Well thanks very much, that's really kind. :sweet:

4 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

Same here! I started to have a big interest in architecture thanks to Lego too! I started to be a "tourist" in Paris... :grin: when I have some time, I visit and take photos of buildings and architectural details! I look everywhere from a new perspective now! 

You're lucky to live near such a beautiful city as Paris. If you're first MOC ends up taking inspiration from French and Parisian style architecture then can't wait to see what you come up with. :excited:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hi, Thank you for mentioning me, but I see a lot of names of builders greater than me. 

I have build a few modulars, but that is not my strong suit.

 

Some builds of mine were easy to transport and some builds not.

29746712636_5be1d2f24b.jpg

My version of the Hogwarts Castle had a lot of sections and layers. The second floor and the roof was removable. It was easy to transport.

This Castle was build in length to focus more on the scenes inside. 

The staircase and entrance were big pieces and there was no box for those sections.

The Castle was build in the style of the Hogwarts Castle of 2010.

I read a lot of books and build the sets for details inside the rooms. 

 26329269031_e49c7717a3.jpg

My Space build had big buildings, but removable from the street by using 2x2 jumpers.

The Highway on top was also removable. 

The buildings had a more modern look and I was trying different styles in each building.

I just did it, I never thought about it. 

Those buildings were easy to transport in crates. 

36371253551_1a65df9e7c.jpg

My version of Amazon Ancient Ruins was inspired by the set.

I wanted the same setup as the set, but build entirely with bricks and slopes.

I started with the mechanism inside the cave and continued with the river.

Then I started with the temple and mixing a few colors.

I used some detailing from the set in this build.

It was build on 3 XL base plates.

 

Is this helping you @LegoModularFan?

Edited by sander1992

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many thanks @sander1992! You explained everything in a different and interesting way! Sorry for the late response, I prefer waiting for another reply if it comes soon in order to write two responses in one reply, that's why I don't write just after a reply.

On 4/8/2018 at 10:52 PM, sander1992 said:

but I see a lot of names of builders greater than me. 

I know there're some highly experienced MOCers in the list and some less experienced ones. But if any MOCer has only one great MOC, it's enough for me as I know they're going in the right direction and I could expect to see some great MOCs in future! That's the case for quite a few MOCers here including yourself! I also do know you didn't make a lot of modulars. If one makes any kind of sufficiently nice buildings (including bigger than minifig scale and excluding smaller than minifig scale), he/she becomes instantly a favorite MOCer of mine! :classic:

On 4/8/2018 at 1:42 PM, Bricked1980 said:

You're lucky to live near such a beautiful city as Paris. If you're first MOC ends up taking inspiration from French and Parisian style architecture then can't wait to see what you come up with. :excited:

Thanks! Normally my first modular wasn't going to have any inspirations from Parisian architecture at all but I stopped working on it for now, not because I don't like it but because I discovered quite some inspirational modulars since its two sketches, especially the House of the Inventor by @fillishave obviously. It really made me want to build a whole district with similar styled buildings! He's so kind that he agreed to make a modular in collaboration with me (millions of thanks again)! We hope to start in July if everything goes as planned! So I'm not sure if my first modular will have a lot of inspiration from Parisian architecture but adding some architectural elements from Parisian architecture may be interesting! :sweet:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

Thanks! Normally my first modular wasn't going to have any inspirations from Parisian architecture at all but I stopped working on it for now, not because I don't like it but because I discovered quite some inspirational modulars since its two sketches, especially the House of the Inventor by @fillishave obviously. It really made me want to build a whole district with similar styled buildings! He's so kind that he agreed to make a modular in collaboration with me (millions of thanks again)! We hope to start in July if everything goes as planned! So I'm not sure if my first modular will have a lot of inspiration from Parisian architecture but adding some architectural elements from Parisian architecture may be interesting! :sweet:

Great! And even if your MOC is not intentionally inspired by French architecture, some of that inspiration is bound to have rubbed off on you. Look forward to seeing this! :classic:

Edited by Bricked1980

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

Many thanks @sander1992! You explained everything in a different and interesting way! Sorry for the late response, I prefer waiting for another reply if it comes soon in order to write two responses in one reply, that's why I don't write just after a reply.

I know there're some highly experienced MOCers in the list and some less experienced ones. But if any MOCer has only one great MOC, it's enough for me as I know they're going in the right direction and I could expect to see some great MOCs in future! That's the case for quite a few MOCers here including yourself! I also do know you didn't make a lot of modulars. If one makes any kind of sufficiently nice buildings (including bigger than minifig scale and excluding smaller than minifig scale), he/she becomes instantly a favorite MOCer of mine! :classic:

You're welcome. :classic:

I take all my buildings to events. "Modular" building is a must for transport.

I like to build is multiple theme's and mostly "big". Next landscape will be based on the Western theme.

Then I'll have to make houses which can be transported in crates of boxes.

 

I have some plans for modular houses, but not this year.

A museum would be nice to make as a modular with references to other themes.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a little preview on what I've been working on last year:

kort1preview.jpg

I'm displaying 15 modulars on HupiCon Helsinki this weekend! Five of them (New Century Corner) was displayed there two years ago and was posted online around that, but others are brand new or at least properly photographed yesterday for the first time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Pate-keetongu said:

Here's a little preview on what I've been working on last year:

Absolutely brilliant! Work of art. Incredible work. Speechless. :wub_drool:They all have very unique part usages and techniques but this is the first time I see a building entirely made up with plates! And this is the second time I ever loved the exposed studs in a building or in any MOCs! The roof of the tan building is a pure beauty, a real eye candy, the color scheme of the bright light orange? building is wonderful and I just adore the shaping of the dark red building!!! They're all absolutely unique and you've done a really phenomenal work! :grin_wub:

I absolutely feel a need to make a shoutout to someone who may adore this even more than me: @Digger of Bricks!

Edited by LegoModularFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pate-keetongu said:

Here's a little preview on what I've been working on last year:

kort1preview.jpg

Come one! Don't tease us like that! Show us already the real meat! I'm very curious how you made the rounded sections on the gray and the tan building on the back. The yellow building in the middle seems to steal the cake, though. I would've never thought Sand Green, Dark Red and (Flame) Yellow would work so well. I agree with @LegoModularFan, it doesn't happen often that I go crazy for a modular in a split second. You've left me intrigued. Would love to see more!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pate-keetongu said:

Here's a little preview on what I've been working on last year:

I just can't wait to see that Bright Orange, Sand Green, and Dark Red one amongst the others up close! :wub_drool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pate-keetongu said:

Here's a little preview on what I've been working on last year:

Woh!!!! This is a seriously impressive looking MOC.

1 hour ago, LegoModularFan said:

this is the second time I ever loved the exposed studs in a building or in any MOCs!

I agree with @LegoModularFan's comment about the exposed studs on the face of the grey building. Normally I would want to avoid the studs being on show but here it helps to create awesome texture.

I love all the colours that have been used and the domed roof on the tan coloured building looks top notch. Can't wait to see the full reveal of this awesome looking MOC!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to add one thing - and I'm in no way an expert builder (though I have had a building in a Lego Train diorama in 2006). The MOST IMPORTANT THING:

DO NOT BE DISCOURAGED BY HOW AMAZING EVERYONE ELSE IS! Just build!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bombcar said:

DO NOT BE DISCOURAGED BY HOW AMAZING EVERYONE ELSE IS! Just build!

This statement is at the heart of what I do with LEGO.  I'm working on putting it into practice with my daily life. too, which is harder to do.  I'm a work in progress, I suppose.

Cheers!

:classic: Beverly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bombcar said:

I want to add one thing - and I'm in no way an expert builder (though I have had a building in a Lego Train diorama in 2006). The MOST IMPORTANT THING:

DO NOT BE DISCOURAGED BY HOW AMAZING EVERYONE ELSE IS! Just build!

I agree with this statement. There are so many great builders out and at first I wondered whether it was worth having a go at designing my own mocs as I didn't think they could live up to the standard of other people's fantastic work.

In the end that really doesn't matter at all though. The only important thing is that you enjoy the process of designing and building the model, which I certainly did.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many thanks @bombcar!

5 hours ago, bombcar said:

(though I have had a building in a Lego Train diorama in 2006)

Well, that's quite some time ago... *huh* I hope you'll start to make MOCs again! 

5 hours ago, bombcar said:

DO NOT BE DISCOURAGED BY HOW AMAZING EVERYONE ELSE IS! Just build!

I'm not discouraged seeing people's work because of two reasons: they inspire me and I know every MOCer started to make MOCs as a beginner. :classic:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Usually I start by looking at pictures online, many of a single subject. Then I take all the parts I like from my examples and throw these in the mix to create my building. I alwas start with thinking out Doors and Windows so these all fit, then I build the rest. It's always good to think of details you want to incorporate before you start, so you don't have to redo parts later. Good luck!👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thanks so much @Captain Green Hair!

On 4/22/2018 at 5:53 PM, Captain Green Hair said:

Usually I start by looking at pictures online, many of a single subject. Then I take all the parts I like from my examples and throw these in the mix to create my building.

I like this idea a lot! Thanks for sharing it! :classic: :thumbup:

 

Edited by LegoModularFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

Hey @Pate-keetongu, are the new images of your awe-inspiring MOC coming? :excited:

Yes, most looking forward to them too! :purrr:

Edited by Digger of Bricks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.