Sign in to follow this  
Kwatchi

[SR-FB2] - Jan '18 - FTA's Freeport Trade Office

ngkIfGO.jpg

As part of the efforts of the nascent Free Traders Association to grow their commerce, a decision was made to reinvested profits into their ports of call.  This was to have the two-fold benefit of raising awareness of their brand and wares, but also give them a permanent local staff to help navigate the customs and laws which vary wildly across the island colonies.

uv1KrX4.jpg

The first of these offices was founded in Freeport, located on Garvey's Rum Isles.  Established in a former counting house, the location by the docks proved by advantageous by being close to the custom house and docks, but also in what was regarded as a higher class portion of shore line.

dK4IvNi.jpg

The office was staffed by Mstr. Kai Nilsen, an older well spoken gentlemen familiar with Garvey.  He is a quiet man who generally keeps to himself and stays out of trouble.  While he serves the FTA captains who use him as liaison, he helps maintain the profitability of the office by acting as a currency exchange for foreign traders at a reasonable fee.  Of course what is not common knowledge is Nilsen is himself a retired privateer, but those days of excitement are long behind him.

ENEadQj.jpg

He now has a comfortable life.  When there are no trade ships in port, Kai finds himself with ample time to stare out his door, tea in hand, and enjoy the daily hustle and bustle of the dockside.  The truth be told, he also has a fond eye on the fish shop proprietress next door.

2C9NmzC.jpg

===/===/===

I approached this build with the intention of mimicking the aesthetic that Sir Stig set out for Freeport in the Jameis Farstrider's Guide entry for Garvey. I am fairly happy wit the result and believe if you dropped these besides his work they would not look completely out of place.  The difference is that I approached both Freeport builds with one eye on game play, rather than solely as display pieces.  Comes with having young kids I guess.

My original plan was to have a larger office building with an open air warehouse attached.  Unfortunately, I ran out of roof bricks. :pir-look:  So rather than scrap my other half of dock, I split things into two small builds.  It ended up being a fun little project I could work on in manageable chunks.  My grandiose plan is to do something similar in each port the FTA convoy stops in, but considering this one pertains to the Nov/Dec MRCA it seems I am already woefully behind.

This will be licensed by the Free Traders Association as a small commerce in Freeport (GAR).

Additional photographs:

6cWYfOM.jpg

7EH4XN6.jpg

Lf3m10v.jpg

WDbSMML.jpg

Edited by Kwatchi

Oddly enough my favorites are the lantern and the potbelly stove 

IC: I think its good the FTA sets up shop in other ports that way issues can be addressed quickly and promptly.  As long as there's not a break in the organisations communication I see them continuing to grow.

I think you used the contrasting window arches well used for interior detail, and the round top floor windows add to the nauthical theme. And again, the quay and rocky shore :thumbup:

I really like this build! I think you've done a great job of capturing the feel of Freeport. The windows are my favorite features, both the round plate on the upper level and the short shutters for the arched windows on the lower level. Excellent interior, too, especially the safe. And I think there's something to be said for working with the limitation of only having so many bricks and splitting things into smaller pieces. Great job! :thumbup:

Thanks all. 

On 1/25/2018 at 1:21 AM, Roadmonkeytj said:

Oddly enough my favorites are the lantern and the potbelly stove

I 'stole' that lantern design from... I want to say @Garmadon... 's awesome interior pub scene, along with the chair too, and I think he got it from someone before that.  BoBS is great for hot-housing build ideas like this.

On 1/29/2018 at 5:35 PM, Capt Wolf said:

And I think there's something to be said for working with the limitation of only having so many bricks and splitting things into smaller pieces. Great job! :thumbup:

It does force creativity.  Unfortunately it also means you have to wait for your kids to grow bored with it before you can take it apart and start something else. :sceptic:

A fun build! I like the roof design and the round windows of the upper floor fit surprisingly well! :thumbup: