LEGODrongo01

[MOC] Plus-Size Millennium Falcon?

Recommended Posts

What originally started out as a bigger version of 7665, (same crappy proportions and stuff) turned into a (almost) fully fledged MOC using techniques from 75105 and the UCS set, witha bit of my own ideas mixed in. But enough chitchat, here it is:

25991998858_0c680e9b66_b.jpgfalcon cool view by Marcus Holtznagel, on Flickr

I highly recommend checking out my flickr for high res pics, and more of them.

38966617045_3719716f45_b.jpgfalcon top by Marcus Holtznagel, on Flickr

top view

39155344344_086c7a3dd2_b.jpgfalcon back by Marcus Holtznagel, on Flickr

38966622395_424e0f4f5e_b.jpgfalcon underside by Marcus Holtznagel, on Flickr

underside (UNFINISHED)

25992054888_41ca82cf6e_b.jpgfalcon docking port by Marcus Holtznagel, on Flickr

docking ring(s) (PLANNING ON CHANGING)

28085885049_7859ac34ef_b.jpgfalcon turret by Marcus Holtznagel, on Flickr

top turret, featuring LEDs

39155354004_2c8aed7681_b.jpgfalcon mandibles by Marcus Holtznagel, on Flickr

mandibles

28085889309_6b3022cbc5_b.jpgfalcon cockpit by Marcus Holtznagel, on Flickr

cockpit

and i STRONGLY SUGGEST you watch this video i put together showing all the LEDs in action: 

Thanks for looking, I hope for some feedback!

 

Edited by LEGODrongo01

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice mod to the mid size Millennium Falcon, I enjoy the MODs you did to the ship. I especially like the bottom part of the ship. Now for advice, if you want to build a ship more similar to the UCS--I would make a technic structure which needs to be strong. Originally I tried to build my own MOC version of the UCS version to look like Marshall Bananas version.

 All you need to do now is go get 80 to a 100 more pieces to make it look like this. I would go to nearest lego store (not toy r us) but only lego and get some pieces to finish it. Hope the video helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jerry McGlade said:

Nice mod to the mid size Millennium Falcon, I enjoy the MODs you did to the ship. I especially like the bottom part of the ship. Now for advice, if you want to build a ship more similar to the UCS--I would make a technic structure which needs to be strong. Originally I tried to build my own MOC version of the UCS version to look like Marshall Bananas version.

<video>

 All you need to do now is go get 80 to a 100 more pieces to make it look like this. I would go to nearest lego store (not toy r us) but only lego and get some pieces to finish it. Hope the video helps.

while i would like to make one like marshalls, his is 7500 pieces while mine is 3500 at most. also, his build is radically different to mine in terms lf structure. i dont really want to spend a year making another falcon, although maybe later down the line, who knows. also, theres no lego stores where i live (tasmania)

also also, mine is already a fair amount larger than the normal size falcon. probs like 1.5 x the length and width

Edited by BEAVeR
Please don't quote videos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This looks awesome especially given how small it is compared to the UCS and how many details you've managed to pack in! Only part I'm not sure about is the back of the cockpit area which has a bit of a weird shape, but that's a pretty tiny nitpick - I barely noticed it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Arkeeos said:

have you got an interior, or is it just support beams?

its mostly empty but there stuff for the lights at the back so i will add interior at the front. i have pics on my flickr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25 January 2018 at 1:01 AM, LEGODrongo01 said:

its mostly empty but there stuff for the lights at the back so i will add interior at the front. i have pics on my flickr

oooo, i like the lights, i also really like the front mandibles on yours. i have plans for an ESB studio model scale millennium falcon, which i will hopefully be building soon.

Edited by Arkeeos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in love with all of the little textures and details you have over the surface, really captures the 'hunk of junk' look the Falcon is famous for!

I feel like the engine lights needs to be a tiny bit thicker maybe? Put I guess that's totally dependant on the light source you use but it doesn't take away from your build, that's just a critique I have, it still looks gorgeous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Glassjaw said:

I'm in love with all of the little textures and details you have over the surface, really captures the 'hunk of junk' look the Falcon is famous for!

I feel like the engine lights needs to be a tiny bit thicker maybe? Put I guess that's totally dependant on the light source you use but it doesn't take away from your build, that's just a critique I have, it still looks gorgeous.

yeah i am eventually gonna add detail to the engine lights but for now its good enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always hated the proportions of the Lego sets (well, except for the UCS ones). This is really an improvement, and i'm digging the details. Good Job!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/01/2018 at 3:13 PM, Akzlo said:

I always hated the proportions of the Lego sets (well, except for the UCS ones). This is really an improvement, and i'm digging the details. Good Job!

yes that was the main reason i made this. the cockpit is so big and in the wrong position and the mandibles look weird on the 7965/75105

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This looks really good, well done! Its much nicer than the recent set with the top that opens up, the proportions on that seemed all wrong and the surface details weren’t great. The LEDs look lovely too, it’ll be great to see what you can do with the interior!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back with a pretty much compete version of this. Got the light grey radar dish I needed and cleaned up the underside, as well as reddid the cockpit interior. Only thing I would really need toadd would be an improved gun turret interior, and somehow add an interior space inside the ship. Hope you enjoy.

48640506158_117f2ca6bf_b.jpgPics of the 99 percent completed Falcon by Sucram H, on Flickr

48640993957_d2cb860d79_b.jpgPics of the 99 percent completed Falcon by Sucram H, on Flickr

Chewbacca being tall makes the cockpit annoying

48640322868_85c78197e3_b.jpgFinal updates to my Falcon, and new display area by Sucram H, on Flickr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks cool! Definitly a great improvement over the set. Will you be adding a turret to the underside? It looks kinda plain to me. Maybe a bit of detail can help?

Edited by Reaper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking great! It’s a very clean and solid looking design, good luck adding the interior no doubt it’ll be worth the effort. I can help you out with the Chewie headroom issue, here’s a file for a silly mini Falcon build I tried that has a full cockpit interior. This started as a mod of TFA Falcon, I lowered the cockpit floor by 1 stud, left some room behind the pilot’s seat for Chewie’s arm and also left out Chewie’s seat so he sat as low as possible. Sorry the picture isn’t clear but the Stud.io model should be :)

TlJDg2K.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5adm0ft0kacqerz/MOC Minimum Fraction WTF1400.io?dl=0

Edited by mcphatty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks great. Nice and solid and menacing. Good bulky mandibles.

For the cockpit I just followed the Flynn/Flail method as best as I could. Chewie leans a bit because of his sandwich head (and I still used actual seat pieces because I loved the Flynn/Flail red chairs), but maybe not that much?

Would be fun to see you add an interior some time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, how come I never replied to this topic?! This project has certainly come a long way from being "just" a modified playset. You've used quite a few UCS-techniques to great effect here that make a huge difference to the fragile and poorly detailed look of the playsets. I just counted the studs across the width of the docking ring part in the middle of the ship and your model seems to be almost to the same scale as my current Falcon WIP (yes, I am working on a Falcon again) which to me seems to be the perfect scale to build a Falcon at. It's large enough to get a decent amount of detail and interior in without being as gigantic as the UCS models, so that it still fits on most tables. :D
I'd love to see some more interior detail in that front half, the pictures on your Flickr suggest that there is enough room to at least get the main hold in there? If I understood you correctly the back half is mostly used for the lighting, power source, etc.?

Anyway, this is a really cool project, I hope you keep working on it and keep enjoying to change and improve things because isn't that what the "real" Falcon is, too - a constant work in progress! At least that is how from now on I will justify working on my version for 5 years now... :D 

 

@mcphatty I really quite like that console design! Might have to steal the idea for those levers in the middle if I may?

And is there anywhere we can see more of your modded Falcon? Always enjoy seeing what people have come up with to improve those sets. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, mcphatty said:

Looking great! It’s a very clean and solid looking design, good luck adding the interior no doubt it’ll be worth the effort. I can help you out with the Chewie headroom issue, here’s a file for a silly mini Falcon build I tried that has a full cockpit interior. This started as a mod of TFA Falcon, I lowered the cockpit floor by 1 stud, left some room behind the pilot’s seat for Chewie’s arm and also left out Chewie’s seat so he sat as low as possible. Sorry the picture isn’t clear but the Stud.io model should be :)

Wow yours looks great. My cockpit is based off a tutorial vid I found on YouTube, but yours is way better, specially the controls detailing. I will definitely be impllementing this.

 

20 hours ago, Reaper said:

Looks cool! Definitly a great improvement over the set. Will you be adding a turret to the underside? It looks kinda plain to me. Maybe a bit of detail can help?

Yes I will add the bottom turret and more details eventually.

 

11 hours ago, Retro said:

Looks great. Nice and solid and menacing. Good bulky mandibles.

For the cockpit I just followed the Flynn/Flail method as best as I could. Chewie leans a bit because of his sandwich head (and I still used actual seat pieces because I loved the Flynn/Flail red chairs), but maybe not that much?

Would be fun to see you add an interior some time.

Yeah mine is similar to that. I am going to change it tho.

8 hours ago, Kit Bricksto said:

Wow, how come I never replied to this topic?! This project has certainly come a long way from being "just" a modified playset. You've used quite a few UCS-techniques to great effect here that make a huge difference to the fragile and poorly detailed look of the playsets. I just counted the studs across the width of the docking ring part in the middle of the ship and your model seems to be almost to the same scale as my current Falcon WIP (yes, I am working on a Falcon again) which to me seems to be the perfect scale to build a Falcon at. It's large enough to get a decent amount of detail and interior in without being as gigantic as the UCS models, so that it still fits on most tables. :D
I'd love to see some more interior detail in that front half, the pictures on your Flickr suggest that there is enough room to at least get the main hold in there? If I understood you correctly the back half is mostly used for the lighting, power source, etc.?

Anyway, this is a really cool project, I hope you keep working on it and keep enjoying to change and improve things because isn't that what the "real" Falcon is, too - a constant work in progress! At least that is how from now on I will justify working on my version for 5 years now... :D 

Thanks Kit, you have been following this project since its inception have you? I very much look forward to seeing your Falcon when its at a 'completed' stage, you are right that it is never completed! Definitely the holy grail of modifyable Lego sets. I do have more pictures of the interior, I think I should be able to make the main hold, but it would be in the back of the ship. I agree with you about the scale being perfect. I think the UCS is just way too big for practical use! Here are the pics:

48646207992_9900505f7c_b.jpgFalcon Interior Front 2 by Marcus Holtznagel, on Flickr

48645719728_f8c790407e_b.jpgFalcon Interior Back 2 by Marcus Holtznagel, on Flickr

As always there are plenty more pics on my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/sucram_h/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I have, yes. I always enjoy checking in on projects that have been going on for years and seeing updates still coming. 

The interior looks much more spacious than I was expecting. I'd imagine that you could fit in quite a decent (maybe even close to full) interior here. Maybe you could use the little cargo room on the starboard side as a battery space and then you should still have plenty of room in the back for the engine room and sleeping quarters. Are you sure you can't squeeze the main hold in the front? It looks like you should be able to just about squeeze it in there to me. But maybe I am missing something? 

You won't ever see the version of my Falcon you know completed. ;) I completly started over a few weeks ago and the old version is now a scrapyard for the new one. I might post a picture of the destroyed model in a few days.. should be interesting to see peoples reactions to that.. ^^ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Kit Bricksto said:

Always enjoy seeing what people have come up with to improve those sets. :)

Not meaning to hijack LegoDrongo01's thread (!), but this was what I ended up with for 7965's interior. It would nice to have a thread to gather together all non-UCS size Falcon models! I must have spent months tinkering with this while watching The Good Wife (with the good wife). 

Falcons like this are perfect to experiment with because the exterior is basically a hunk of junk, and the interior is an empty box (unless it's filled with excellent lighting equipment!) waiting to be turned into rooms.

20190227_123232

 

20190227_130544

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Retro said:

Not meaning to hijack LegoDrongo01's thread (!), but this was what I ended up with for 7965's interior. It would nice to have a thread to gather together all non-UCS size Falcon models! I must have spent months tinkering with this while watching The Good Wife (with the good wife). 

Falcons like this are perfect to experiment with because the exterior is basically a hunk of junk, and the interior is an empty box (unless it's filled with excellent lighting equipment!) waiting to be turned into rooms.

20190227_123232

 

20190227_130544

 

Man yours looks magnificent. I would definitely want to try to make an interior like this.

 

12 hours ago, Kit Bricksto said:

I think I have, yes. I always enjoy checking in on projects that have been going on for years and seeing updates still coming. 

The interior looks much more spacious than I was expecting. I'd imagine that you could fit in quite a decent (maybe even close to full) interior here. Maybe you could use the little cargo room on the starboard side as a battery space and then you should still have plenty of room in the back for the engine room and sleeping quarters. Are you sure you can't squeeze the main hold in the front? It looks like you should be able to just about squeeze it in there to me. But maybe I am missing something? 

You won't ever see the version of my Falcon you know completed. ;) I completly started over a few weeks ago and the old version is now a scrapyard for the new one.

The space in the front is kinda cramped, and I used rainbow bricks on the side for structure, so I think it wouldnt look very good. I will see what I can do later today. And I would love to see the destroyed model!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys sorry to double post but I have decided to build an interior. Upon further inspection I think I may be able to barely get the main hold in the front. Do you guys think it should go in the front, or should i put it in the back where there is a lot more space? Here is the front section:

48651117436_b001fb5f58_c.jpgInterior top down FRONT by Marcus Holtznagel, on Flickr

And here is the back:

48651117571_f96362c222_c.jpgInterior top down by Marcus Holtznagel, on Flickr

I would love to hear you guy's thoughts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by 'The main hold', but it looks to me like you could still fit a small holochess area in the front, and then put the rest in the back (hyperdrive, bedroom, weapons rack, various interesting looking machinery!). 

Your lighting boxes seem to be taking up less space in the latest photos. Have you removed some of them or just 'tidied them up' a bit?

20190227_130504

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.