Pasq67

[MOC] X-Wing Fighter Midi-scale

Here I want to present you my newest MOC a X-Wing Fighter in Midi-scale.

25945979328_b835d4d278_c.jpg

39109003374_f1e1917e45_c.jpg

39818709311_c3216da1b8_c.jpg

More photos on Flickr album

Download the buildings instructions:

- for LDD : HERE

- for Stud.io : HERE

Version 2 form my X-Wing with the monochrome version.

44815890952_d5eace9299_c.jpg

My diorama.

45723368204_5e75fab3d7_c.jpg

Edited by Pasq67

To my eyes, the best MOCs are as small as possible while retaining as much features and details as possible.

What you did here is truly awesome.

Is there any chance you will share instructions with us? I had vowed not to buy lego anymore, but I would definitely build this!

Absolutely stunning build! I love the attention to detail here, the X-Wing looks astounding! :wub: And that R2 unit... Perfect. :thumbup:

I second the request for instructions, or at least a few photos of the internals. I must have this for my shelf!!!

Excellent build at an unusual (to me) scale - for some reason I'm particularly impressed with the curved "shoulders" of the R2 unit... Great detail! :classic::thumbup:

Excellent!

There is only one visual aspect that from some reason bothers me - these half and quarter round tiles you used to create the tapered transition from the nose towards the cockpit. I dont know, I am sure its probably geometrically as close as you can get in this scale but these elements introduce quite distinct visual feature that I think shouldnt be there. Then again, this is nitpicking just because I have nothing else to complain about :D

Great job.

On 23/01/2018 at 8:13 PM, Gray_Mouser said:

To my eyes, the best MOCs are as small as possible while retaining as much features and details as possible.

What you did here is truly awesome.

Is there any chance you will share instructions with us? I had vowed not to buy lego anymore, but I would definitely build this!

On 23/01/2018 at 8:45 PM, Leonardo da Bricki said:

Absolutely stunning build! I love the attention to detail here, the X-Wing looks astounding! :wub: And that R2 unit... Perfect. :thumbup:

I second the request for instructions, or at least a few photos of the internals. I must have this for my shelf!!!

Download the buildings instructions:

- for LDD : HERE 

- for Stud.io : HERE

Edited by Pasq67

I just love Midi-Scale. The Falcon That came out a long time ago was one of my favorite sets. Don't know why, i think it is the perfect scale for me. You really nailed it! Only complain would be the engines, i think they could be a little bit bigger. Than again, i think the next size would be the 2x2 Round Bricks and that would be far to big. 

Thanks for sharing!

I will definitely build this (but I modified the engines a little).

One question though... What is the outercable in the LDD file for?

Edited by Gray_Mouser

On 06/02/2018 at 12:08 AM, Gray_Mouser said:

One question though... What is the outercable in the LDD file for?

I used an end of the outercable to assemble the motors.
Look on this picture :
25069838477_89b8de20fc.jpg

Ok thanks.

I won't need it then. I modified your MOC a bit with LDD because I wanted to make the scale even more accurate... And while I was at it, I also modified this part of the engine (with 18674 / 15535 / 6143).

I played with this MOC a bit. Well ok, a lot, because it is a great MOC. I modified the design in an attempt to make the scale more accurate.

I made the following changes:

• engine cylinders (front parts)
  • shorter rear engines
  • longer nose (and I redesigned the side slopes)
  • angles below the canopy (not perfect, but it's the best trade-off I could manage)
  • rear of the main body
  • much bigger wings to fit the scale
  • the "pilot" is gone, unfortunately
  • modified guns because I wanted them to be only one color (and I wanted to use cheap bricks :wink:
  • edit: modified greeble on top (nothing wrong with the original, but they didn't fit with the continuous white lining I added)

Not everything is attached in LDD, but should be in real life. The canopy is still linked the same way it was in the original. I made some tests with the bricks I have, there shouldn't be any issue. 

Here is a visual. What do you people think? Does any of this make it better or worse? Any suggestions?

39762973574_5824c9ed3b_b.jpg

Edited by Gray_Mouser
Updated modifications (greeble and guns)

This is my latest (and last) effort. I wanted to get rid of all the studs (except R2's head) and the square plates in the middle of the cylinders... But now I have managed it, I'm not sure it was worth it. I'll let this one rest and decide which features I'll build when I buy the bricks. 

38917353050_28f387d867_b.jpg

On 2018-03-10 at 3:36 PM, Gray_Mouser said:

This is my latest (and last) effort. I wanted to get rid of all the studs (except R2's head) and the square plates in the middle of the cylinders... But now I have managed it, I'm not sure it was worth it. I'll let this one rest and decide which features I'll build when I buy the bricks. 

I like it (and the original MOC is awesome too)! Do you have the LDD file?

Edited by danielwerner

On 3/10/2018 at 9:36 AM, Gray_Mouser said:

38917353050_28f387d867_b.jpg

That looks great! Whenever you settle on a final version, I would very much like to build it.

That’s hawt. Imma build one of those for my shelf. As noted by others, the R2 is one of my favorite parts of the build! The engines seem a bit small, but I don’t see a way to make them bigger without taking them out of scale, so it’s fine. Overall I applaud how you were able to fit so much detail in such a small model.