General Magma

Lack of original themes

2 hours ago, Lego David said:

I had no reason to exist because nobody really wanted it. It will likely sell well because some people will buy them just because they are "new". A lot of YouTubers who knew nothing about the game just got most of the sets just because they are "new". So, at least I what I wanted to say, this isn't really a contradiction.

If you think nobody wanted LEGO Overwatch then you really are ignorant. I guarantee you that for practically any popular video game in existence, there's a healthy number of fans who are wishing to see a LEGO version of it. Frankly, some of the people who designed the Overwatch sets are both AFOLs and gamers themselves. And the idea that people only buy the sets because they're new is laughable. I could say the same thing about any of the themes you enjoyed from 2008 to 2010 and have just as much evidence to back it up (i.e. none).

You keep citing YouTubers buying sets regardless of their personal interests as evidence that other fans do the same, which is completely ridiculous. YouTubers buy and review new sets because that's how they make money, earn likes/views/subscribers, etc. But at the same time, they wouldn't be making money or getting subscribers from those videos if people weren't viewing those videos, and they wouldn't have nearly as many people viewing those videos if nobody had any genuine interest in those sets. That's why you pretty much never see major LEGO YouTubers reviewing Duplo sets — because for the most part, their viewers don't care about Duplo.

And as for the idea that there will be no replacements for Elves and Nexo Knights, I find that doubtful. What's more likely is that any new "big bang" product lines are probably going to be delayed until 2020, since the amount of emphasis being put on the LEGO Movie 2 would diminish the amount of internal resources available to launch and promote a "big bang" theme. So far, we have never seen a "big bang" theme launch the same year as a theatrical LEGO movie.

4 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

You keep citing YouTubers buying sets regardless of their personal interests as evidence that other fans do the same, which is completely ridiculous. YouTubers buy and review new sets because that's how they make money, earn likes/views/subscribers, etc. But at the same time, they wouldn't be making money or getting subscribers from those videos if people weren't viewing those videos, and they wouldn't have nearly as many people viewing those videos if nobody had any genuine interest in those sets. That's why you pretty much never see major LEGO YouTubers reviewing Duplo sets — because for the most part, their viewers don't care about Duplo.

Exactly this.

Jangbricks even explained multiple times on why he doesn't buy/review ALL of the Friends or Elves sets anymore, since other channels have had a larger viewerbase for it.

Some youtube channels specializing in a certain theme is fully understandable, as there's simply a very large number of sets per year these days.

Edited by TeriXeri

15 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

So far, we have never seen a "big bang" theme launch the same year as a theatrical LEGO movie

I don't think it can be called a "big bang" theme, but we did get Ultra Agents in 2014, the same year the first LEGO movie came out.

23 hours ago, Lego David said:

I had no reason to exist because nobody really wanted it. It will likely sell well because some people will buy them just because they are "new". A lot of YouTubers who knew nothing about the game just got most of the sets just because they are "new". So, at least I what I wanted to say, this isn't really a contradiction. 

Completely untrue. People don't buy stuff just because it is new, they buy it because they want it. No doubt some people on youtube will buy it and review it to try to make money off the review. But how many sales does that generate? Maybe 5-10 worldwide.

LEGO commission sets for retail that will sell 10,000s or 100,000s. They need people to like the source material and like the set.

The reason it has to exist is because LEGO think it will sell, and sell well.

And people wanting something isn't a reason for it to exist. It has to be viable for LEGO for it to exist. People want 20,000 piece Minas Tirith sets to exist, for example. Is that reason for it to exist? No, as the number of people that would buy such a set is too small to be viable.

11 minutes ago, MAB said:

And people wanting something isn't a reason for it to exist. It has to be viable for LEGO for it to exist. People want 20,000 piece Minas Tirith sets to exist, for example. Is that reason for it to exist? No, as the number of people that would buy such a set is too small to be viable.

Agreed, and that even plays a role on like Ideas, where many posted Ideas have 2000+ parts, only a few get selected at a time. Even if 10000 votes signal interest in the sets.

They never made a single Hogwarts minifig scale set either, but went Microscale or split it up in smaller playsets in the past. I saw a fan-made Hogwarts that had 400.000 bricks.

A minifig scale Rexcelsior would also be 10000+ parts if they really keep the scale to Emmet Dream House or Rexplorer.

Edited by TeriXeri