General Magma

Lack of original themes

On March 15, 2018 at 9:10 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

(Commenting on Friends x Exo-force)

As cool and fitting as that may sound, would most girls really get into Mecha, at least a theme centered around it?

I wouldn't know about "most" girls, but I had a friend growing up that used to trick out her Barbie dolls with parts from tank models to make killer cyborgs.  My favorite of her designs had a Barbie torso fitted into a panzer caterpillar base, with a howitzer for an arm and machine guns coming out of her hair like antennae (GI Joe never stood a chance).  

It's a pretty safe bet that if a Friends-Mecha line had been available then, she would have been all over it.  So it's probably safe to say that there _is_ an audience out there, I'm just not sure it's large enough to sustain a toy line.

On 1/24/2018 at 1:39 AM, RetroInferno said:

- Lego movies have an obscene amount of sets dedicated to them.

the Lego movie is not a licensed theme, it has licensed things in it but most of it is original characters.

It is one of those in-between themes - like Ninjago too - where LEGO has some (and possibly a major) say in characters and storylines, but it is licensed between LEGO and Warner Bros.

On 1/31/2018 at 12:53 PM, danth said:

Doesn't Lego license out the rights to make video games, cartoons, and movies for Ninjago, Nexo Knights, etc? Is that what your bold text is describing?

I've watched the toys that made us. 

So would you say there is no difference with how a kid who has seen Star Wars would play with a classic Spaceman vs how that same kid would play with a Boba Fett minifig?

A kid who never seen starwars would use bobafett the same way as a classic spaceman because both are spacemen

On 3/15/2018 at 8:41 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

While I think that a Space based subtheme of Friends could plausibly happen sometime here, what about a separate minidoll Space theme? Do you think a standalone Sci-Fi minidoll line could work?

I'd love to see the return of Adventurers, but instead done in either a modern or retrofuturistic context (the latter one preferably, with a Dieselpunk vibe). :purrr:

I don't think a minidoll Space will do well as a stand alone theme because I don't think girls are into space, but it could work as a part of the existing Friends theme

Edited by Foreman
fix mistake

1 hour ago, Foreman said:

I don't think a minidoll Space will do well as a stand alone theme because I don't think girls are into space, but it could work as a part of the existing Friends theme

As a subtheme of Friends, I do think the subject of space tourism would work well for such a line. :thumbup:

This two videos summarize almost all that has been discussed in this topic so far:

And this is the video I made  where I explained this problem from my own personal opinion:

Edited by Lego David

At 2:33 You say Overwatch has no real reason to exist but wouldn't be surprised if it sells well enough to stick for a long time.

Then claim bankruptcy is likely. LEGO is a very different company compared to 20 years ago, and the toy market is a very different market compared to 20 years ago. You are clearly very anti-license. Remember, LEGO is doing better financially now than ever before. You are no more a true LEGO fan (at 6:18) that they should listen to than anyone else that purchases LEGO sets. LEGO is very well financially selling to the A holes as you call them. LEGO listens by looking at sales figures. They know what people want by what they buy.

You claim you have proof that children prefer Ninjago and Nexo Knights to Star Wars, and that original themes are what sells (6:33). Then go on to say that the only reason licensed themes sell better is because of the growing number of A holes that don't like what you like. So you have proof that original themes are what sells, then complain about the number of people buying licensed sets that makes them sell better.

Get over it. Licenses are here to stay for as long as they are what people want and buy. There is room for both on the market. If they didn't do Overwatch, for example, that doesn't mean they would do more non-licensed sets. They just wouldn't sell sets to Overwatch fans.

Edited by MAB

12 hours ago, MAB said:

Get over it. Licenses are here to stay for as long as they are what people want and buy. There is room for both on the market. If they didn't do Overwatch, for example, that doesn't mean they would do more non-licensed sets. They just wouldn't sell sets to Overwatch fans.

As I have said, all I said in the video is 100% my opinion, not actual facts. The reason I am anti-licensed is because, as I said, they got way to far. In 2009, we had only like 4 licensed theme. Now, almost all of the themes are licensed. And when they do such things, they loose a customer. I don't know about other people, but they certainly lost me as their costumer, given the fact that now I only buy old LEGO off the 2nd market. And if they keep doing what they are doing, they are going to loose more and more customers, this taking them in financial trouble. As BB202 has pointed out in his video, LEGO lost money in 2017 and fired over 1000 employees, and reported no growth in 2018. This, like in the case of BB202, makes me wander if there isn't a connection between all those events currently happening in LEGO.

Edited by Lego David

1 hour ago, Lego David said:

As I have said, all I said in the video is 100% my opinion, not actual facts. The reason I am anti-licensed is because, as I said, they got way to far. In 2009, we had only like 4 licensed theme. Now, almost all of the themes are licensed. And when they do such things, they loose a customer. I don't know about other people, but they certainly lost me as their costumer, given the fact that now I only buy old LEGO off the 2nd market. And if they keep doing what they are doing, they are going to loose more and more customers, this taking them in financial trouble. As BB202 has pointed out in his video, LEGO lost money in 2017 and fired over 1000 employees, and reported no growth in 2018. This, like in the case of BB202, makes me wander if there isn't a connection between all those events currently happening in LEGO.

Looking at Brickset for 2019 themes, Licensed(including Brickheadz) only has two more than non licensed. I wouldn’t call that taking over. Same goes for shelf space where I am. There’s 4 big chain stores that I frequent, and it’s always been pretty equal. In what ways do you feel they’re going too far? 

Clearly you have a biased opinion that prevents you from objectively making a proper conclusion of the facts. Seriously I don't understand why so many people predict doom and gloom for original themes, from my perspective they are going stronger than ever. Also don't get why some people assume that licensed themes take away from original themes. I suppose it is possible that a licensed set may postpone a similar set idea for an original theme set, there is plenty of time in the future though and we all know LEGO is certainly not shy about redoing certain sets. 

1 hour ago, Vindicare said:

Looking at Brickset for 2019 themes, Licensed(including Brickheadz) only has two more than non licensed. I wouldn’t call that taking over. Same goes for shelf space where I am. There’s 4 big chain stores that I frequent, and it’s always been pretty equal. In what ways do you feel they’re going too far? 

I depends on what you consider to be an original theme. Technic, for example while technically an original theme, is mostly based on licenced real-life models that LEGO makes in partnership with the company producing that car, and they do have to pay a fee for this, which makes it licensed. A big problem I have is that Ninjago is currently the only story-based original theme that remains. Both Nexo Knights and Elves are gone, and I don't really believe LEGO has any replacements for either of them as for now, which is a big problem IMO.

Edited by Lego David

4 hours ago, Lego David said:

I depends on what you consider to be an original theme. Technic, for example while technically an original theme, is mostly based on licenced real-life models that LEGO makes in partnership with the company producing that car, and they do have to pay a fee for this, which makes it licensed. A big problem I have is that Ninjago is currently the only story-based original theme that remains. Both Nexo Knights and Elves are gone, and I don't really believe LEGO has any replacements for either of them as for now, which is a big problem IMO.

I should also add, that many of the in-house lines that are still with us for at least the first half of this year are pretty much staples to begin with anyway. City, Creator, Ninjago, Technic, Friends, and Architecture aren't the type of themes fans are lamenting the absence thereof, as their place in Lego's lineup isn't at all uncertain. Elves and Nexo Knights, on the other hand, didn't successively pass the baton on to any new action/adventure line for this year. Therefore, this very well may be the first year in quite some time that is without at least a second such playtheme next to Ninjago.

Having said all that though, Nexo Knights in particular could have a successor in line for 2020 to fill its shoes, as it seems these "big bang" themes are originally intended to run for about three years with a follow-up successor in the wings (unless they extend that theme's run in response to a better-than-forcasted response in sales). But, if that was how Lego was going to handle its 2015 reboot of Bionicle (hypothetically), then it should've had a follow-up successor of its own slated for 2018. :look:

7 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I should also add, that many of the in-house lines that are still with us for at least the first half of this year are pretty much staples to begin with anyway. City, Creator, Ninjago, Technic, Friends, and Architecture aren't the type of themes fans are lamenting the absence thereof, as their place in Lego's lineup isn't at all uncertain. Elves and Nexo Knights, on the other hand, didn't successively pass the baton on to any new action/adventure line for this year. Therefore, this very well may be the first year in quite some time that is without at least a second such playtheme next to Ninjago.

Having said all that though, Nexo Knights in particular could have a successor in line for 2020 to fill its shoes, as it seems these "big bang" themes are originally intended to run for about three years with a follow-up successor in the wings (unless they extend that theme's run in response to a better-than-forcasted response in sales). But, if that was how Lego was going to handle its 2015 reboot of Bionicle (hypothetically), then it should've had a follow-up successor of its own slated for 2018. :look:

I personally have a big problem with this. Having Ninjago remain the only "big bang" theme with nothing else close to it doesn't seem good. They did not have a replacement for the Bionicle Reboot, and I don't think they really have any replacement for either Nexo Knighs or Elves. Ninago will not last forever, and if when Ninjago ends they won't make any replacement theme... Well, I guess they lost me as their costumer forever. The rate at which new licensed themes come out compared at the rate of original themes which come up shows that LEGO doesn't really care about them. If Ninjago's sales will decline, they'd just cancel it with nothing to replace it (unless you consider licensed themes replacements for them).

Again, I my opinion, Ninjago is the only theme still worth buying, and if that goes, I guess it's done with my LEGO hobby.

24 minutes ago, Lego David said:

Ninago will not last forever, and if when Ninjago ends they won't make any replacement theme... Well, I guess they lost me as their costumer forever. 

I'd doubt they'd ever do away with action/adventure playthemes completely if Ninjago ever winds down; but, then again, not only did 2018 see no successor to the Bionicle reboot, it was also seemingly the final year for constraction overall with the death of Star Wars' own line of constraction figures, leaving both the second half of that year and the first half of this year with nothing in that department. :sceptic:

44 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I'd doubt they'd ever do away with action/adventure playthemes completely if Ninjago ever winds down; but, then again, not only did 2018 see no successor to the Bionicle reboot, it was also seemingly the final year for constraction overall with the death of Star Wars' own line of constraction figures, leaving both the second half of that year and the first half of this year with nothing in that department. :sceptic:

Exactly. Constraction figures have always been an important part of LEGO, despite being criticized for being "non-LEGO like". Seeing them go away with nothing to replace them is heartbreaking. At least if they remained as part of licensed themes, but as for now, they are completly gone. 

1 hour ago, Lego David said:

Exactly. Constraction figures have always been an important part of LEGO, despite being criticized for being "non-LEGO like". Seeing them go away with nothing to replace them is heartbreaking. At least if they remained as part of licensed themes, but as for now, they are completly gone. 

Now granted, it's only been a year since we last saw those final Star Wars constraction sets; and for that matter, perhaps it'll only be a single year without any other action/adventure themes besides Ninjago. After all, releasing a new constraction and/or action playtheme alongside promotion of The Lego Movie 2 wouldn't be the smartest thing to do on TLG's part; but, nonetheless, the lack thereof still does factor towards the downwards trend for in-house lines outside of the aforementioned staples. Plus, compound that trend with the downgrade of the annual ratio for licensed to non-licensed Collectable Minifigure Series... :sad:

Edited by Digger of Bricks

43 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Plus, compound that trend with the downgrade of the annual ratio for licensed to non-licensed Collectable Minifigure Series

Collectable minifigs were great... until 2017 when they made that Batman movie series. Since then, they rose the price of them from 1.99$ to 3.99$. And the worst part, since then, they started to get worse and worse with very few good minifigs and most of them being mediocre at best. And seriously. 2 Batman movie series? Why, just why?! The second series was damn awful with the Mermaid Batman being the prime example. I used to buy CMFs a lot. But since 2017, I didn't get any of them for the given reason. Also look at the new LEGO Movie 2 series: If you compare with the original one, the first one is sooo much better. Also I don't understand why they added those wizard of Oz minifigs. Sure, they look good, but they just don't fit with the rest of the minifigures. Also that Unikity is just a normal one, with nothing exclusive about it. And they changed the whole shape of the bags just because of this. Because of a common figure that isn't even exclusive.

Shortly, because of licensed themes, the whole CMFs are ruined (at least to me). I used to buy those things because of how chap they were. Now, I can get a polybag which can sometimes have two minifigures for the exact same price. Sorry, 4$ is two much for just a single minifig. And the in the Party CMF, the last 100% original one,  that Classic Cop wad the only good minifig, the rest of  them were just way to obscure with all those weird costumes.

Edited by Lego David

Just now, Lego David said:

Collectable minifigs were great... until 2017 when they made that Batman movie series. Since then, they rose the price of them from 1.99$ to 3.99$.

Well, the first two CMS released in 2010 were the only ones to ever be priced at $1.99 apiece, to which they then raised the price to $2.99 apiece the following year for Series 3. That price remained until 2014 with the release of Series 12 at $3.99 apiece.

8 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Well, the first two CMS released in 2010 were the only ones to ever be priced at $1.99 apiece, to which they then raised the price to $2.99 apiece the following year for Series 3. That price remained until 2014 with the release of Series 12 at $3.99 apiece.

Still, I really think they should reduce the price to 3$ again. You may think one extra dolar isn't much, but for people from other countires where there are difrent currences one dollar extra is semnificnt.

Just now, Lego David said:

Still, I really think they should reduce the price to 3$ again. You may think one extra dolar isn't much, but for people from other countires where there are difrent currences one dollar extra is semnificnt.

This is what apparently warranted that last price hike: Wikipedia - Lego Minifigures Online

Lego Minifigures Online was a massively multiplayer online game developed and published by Funcom, which was released on 29 June 2014. The game was based on the Lego Minifigures theme, allowing the player to unlock, and to play, as various characters from the theme, while also incorporating elements from classic Lego themes, such as castle, and space, and also involving new themes, like mythology. In addition to unlocking new minifigures through normal gameplay, the player was able to unlock minifigures by purchasing physical Lego Minifigures blind bags, which contain special codes that, once entered, allowed the character to be unlocked instantly. All online services for the game were shut down on 30 September 2016.

10 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Lego Minifigures Online was a massively multiplayer online game developed and published by Funcom, which was released on 29 June 2014. The game was based on the Lego Minifigures theme, allowing the player to unlock, and to play, as various characters from the theme, while also incorporating elements from classic Lego themes, such as castle, and space, and also involving new themes, like mythology. In addition to unlocking new minifigures through normal gameplay, the player was able to unlock minifigures by purchasing physical Lego Minifigures blind bags, which contain special codes that, once entered, allowed the character to be unlocked instantly. All online services for the game were shut down on 30 September 2016.

LEGO Minifiures Online was a great game... What a shame I never got to play it, and now it's canceled, with no way to access it anymore.

Suddenly the increased CMF price makes sense: it had to subsidize development of an online game.  Too bad they didn't relax the price once they cancelled the game; I do think the market would respond better to $3 than $4.

On 1/20/2019 at 5:41 AM, Lego David said:

As I have said, all I said in the video is 100% my opinion, not actual facts.

Yes, clearly it is not based on facts, since you contradict yourself from sentence to sentence in it. It is meaningless biased opinion.

2 hours ago, icm said:

Suddenly the increased CMF price makes sense: it had to subsidize development of an online game.  Too bad they didn't relax the price once they cancelled the game; I do think the market would respond better to $3 than $4.

There seem to be two main types of buyer of the CMF from the AFOL community. The ones that have to be first to have a complete set, and don't mind paying $4 a figure. Then ones that want them cheaper - $3 or $2.50 etc. In the UK, just about all series get reduced at some point. Now LEGO could reduce the price to that sale price from the start, but why should they? Plenty of people are paying the full RRP initially. They might as well get the full price from that section of the market, then sell to the rest of the market once discounts come in. The same is true of sets. The prices seem way over what I would pay, and I rarely miss a set I want by waiting for a discount. I just don't get to build on day 1. And I can live with that.

4 hours ago, icm said:

Too bad they didn't relax the price once they cancelled the game;

Yeah, why would they keep the same price when there is no more game. Also, I never understood why they cancelled it completly in the first place. I mean, most LEGO games stop being produced but they can still be purchased from the 2nd market. But why did they completly shut down this game?

1 hour ago, MAB said:

since you contradict yourself from sentence to sentence in it. It is meaningless biased opinion.

Yeah? Where exactly did I contradict myself?

Edited by Lego David