General Magma

Lack of original themes

In hindsight, I guess Lego will try to retain Creator's currently colorful nature for most of its life; so, perhaps the best I could hope for instead would be another subtheme of Creator that is only slightly more advanced than the three-in-one line, but not enough to be considered as a part of the Expert subtheme. Also, the Castle sets fans desire just may be better suited for a more advanced line anyway; but, I still think Space as we knew it is a good fit for the three-in-one line, given the theme propensities towards a more colorful palette.

Also, regarding brick built animals, at least Space themed three-in-one sets wouldn't have much of a problem with brick built aliens and robots, especially considering how the latter were brick built in many Classic Space sets! :classic:

I personally loved the first wave of nexo knights more than any space or castle theme. Clays rumble blade and the kings mech were awesome. If anything I want MORE genre mixes. Its a lot more original and interesting. 

4 minutes ago, chezzymann said:

I personally loved the first wave of nexo knights more than any space or castle theme. Clays rumble blade and the kings mech were awesome. If anything I want MORE genre mixes. Its a lot more original and interesting. 

Like what for instance? What would be your dream genre mash-up theme? :classic:

Friends in Space! :thumbup:

Space and Castle will not return as big as in the 90's. Now we have Star Wars and soon Harry Potter/Fantastic Beast.

I hope that TLG will produce some new Action theme or Western theme. That would be nice.

1 hour ago, sander1992 said:

Friends in Space! :thumbup:

While I think that a Space based subtheme of Friends could plausibly happen sometime here, what about a separate minidoll Space theme? Do you think a standalone Sci-Fi minidoll line could work?

1 hour ago, sander1992 said:

I hope that TLG will produce some new Action theme or Western theme. That would be nice.

I'd love to see the return of Adventurers, but instead done in either a modern or retrofuturistic context (the latter one preferably, with a Dieselpunk vibe). :purrr:

5 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

While I think that a Space based subtheme of Friends could plausibly happen sometime here, what about a separate minidoll Space theme? Do you think a standalone Sci-Fi minidoll line could work?

While a mini-doll space theme could be cool, I'd be almost more interested in something that covers a different sort of sci-fi. Perhaps a theme set in some sort of "digital" world akin to franchises like Tron, Reboot, or Megaman NT Warrior could be a good fit for that sort of theme?

I've also thought that something like Exo-Force could be a great subject for a mini-doll line—not only are mini-dolls already more anime-esque than classic minifigs, but it'd neatly sidestep the limitations in their articulation by putting them in poseable mechs.

For a standalone minidoll Space theme, I think a storyline centered around a girl growing up as a planetary colonist would be cool. Her friends would be other children of both human colonists and the planet's native population, where they partake in exploring the planet's many strange and exotic environments.

14 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

I've also thought that something like Exo-Force could be a great subject for a mini-doll line—not only are mini-dolls already more anime-esque than classic minifigs, but it'd neatly sidestep the limitations in their articulation by putting them in poseable mechs.

As cool and fitting as that may sound, would most girls really get into Mecha, at least a theme centered around it?

38 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I don't know, but Space ships with White/Gray with Magenta, Dark Pink or Dark Purple would be awesome. :thumbup:

Minidolls need less space in cockpits, so that should work. :tongue:

6 minutes ago, sander1992 said:

I don't know, but Space ships with White/Gray with Magenta, Dark Pink or Dark Purple would be awesome. :thumbup:

Minidolls need less space in cockpits, so that should work. :tongue:

Aesthetically, what would spaceships look like/take after in such a theme? In a cliché way, I'd imagine they be of a rounded, spherical design, but I definitely don't think they'd be of a sharp, angular one.

50 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Yes, with a vibe similar to that of Elves. This could be to Space what Elves is to Castle.

10 minutes ago, sander1992 said:

Yes, white with minor detailing in those colours, or dark azure and so on would be great.

2 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Aesthetically, what would spaceships look like/take after in such a theme? In a cliché way, I'd imagine they be of a rounded, spherical design, but I definitely don't think they'd be of a sharp, angular one.

I think a classic sci-fi rocket or spaceship design would be perfect. Something along the lines of Tintin rocket or Futurama spaceship. So fairly rounded rather than realistic.

3 minutes ago, MAB said:

Yes, white with minor detailing in those colours, or dark azure and so on would be great.

I know! How about White, Dark Azure, and Trans-yellow, as a lighter hued nod to Classic Space? :classic:

Does anyone think that a minidoll Space theme would work with a Retrofuturistic, Flash Gordon style? You know, something with rocketcraft that look something along the lines of this, for instance?

tumblr_nho32nDsFz1s2pocso1_r1_500.jpg

Yeah, I was thinking along the lines of these too ...

7c6e9ed45d256340f6182413204e3c07--vintagimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRLyFEyMHXuAmHDMNNBBzmimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQE8psihdchyCSk7AvU_cK

Something fairly smooth (cylinder type panels, so looking a bit like the LEGO planes) without studs, quite roundish with a decent bit of playing room inside too.

On 13/03/2018 at 5:06 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

What would be your dream genre mash-up theme? :classic:

Either fantasy era + adventurers or a Napoleonic era version of castle.

Anhything Western would be great. The Lone Ranger had some really great models and new pieces, like the gun and hat. 

I think we may have found it. The Adult Fan of Lego Grand Unified Theme! It took countless hours of message board research funded by dump trucks of flaming VIP points but I believe we may finally have the answer to the most fundamental Lego question in history: how do they satisfy the adults?

The perfect universal AFOL theme is... A retrofuturistic Classic Space Castle Pirate Cowboy City. I believe equation can be visually summarized as such:

39934952815_204a8f9cc6_c.jpg

Just make a Themed Creator Expert line. Done. One deluxe Castle, Space, and other (Pirate/Western) set a year. 

If only Lego just asked ME what to do all the time, things would be so easy.

7 hours ago, MAB said:

Yeah, I was thinking along the lines of these too ...

Here are a few other examples, this time actually constructed from bricks! :sweet:

Spoiler

02-three-quarter.jpg_DISPLAY.jpg

Quantum 1

fazoom01.jpg

7 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

Either fantasy era + adventurers or a Napoleonic era version of castle.

Fantasy Era plus Adventurers? What would that look like? :oh:

3 hours ago, koalayummies said:

The perfect universal AFOL theme is... A retrofuturistic Classic Space Castle Pirate Cowboy City. 

Or, just throw us a Creator/Creator Expert set based upon any one of those themes every now and then, just like @danth had previously suggested. :smug:

13 hours ago, koalayummies said:

The perfect universal AFOL theme is... A retrofuturistic Classic Space Castle Pirate Cowboy City. I believe equation can be visually summarized as such:

Looks like a Village People rip-off. :-)

9 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Here are a few other examples, this time actually constructed from bricks! :sweet:

Reveal hidden contents

02-three-quarter.jpg_DISPLAY.jpg

Quantum 1

fazoom01.jpg

They look great. If they were done as Friends / Elves style, the only problem with those is the playability (inside, not just swooshing). The girl-aimed sets tend to have more situation based play features inside, rather than just pushing / swooshing.

3 hours ago, MAB said:

If they were done as Friends / Elves style, the only problem with those is the playability (inside, not just swooshing). The girl-aimed sets tend to have more situation based play features inside, rather than just pushing / swooshing.

I guess then, that the majority of sets within a hypothetical minidoll Space theme would be of space stations and moon bases, instead of simply spacecraft/rocketcraft. 

3 hours ago, MAB said:

They look great.

Here are a few other retro rocketcraft/spacecraft creations I'd like to share, including one by @PaddyBricksplitter!

Spoiler
IMG_0709ZoomPhantasm

7 hours ago, MAB said:

Looks like a Village People rip-off. :-)

:head_back::laugh_hard:I didn't even notice that but it does. That's hilarious.

@Digger of Bricks that blue x-wing style craft is especially awesome. With so many new SNOT and curved bricks introduced since many an AFOL dark ages the possibility for retrofuturistic/sleek and smooth-flowing builds has improved significantly.

3 hours ago, koalayummies said:

@Digger of Bricks that blue x-wing style craft is especially awesome. With so many new SNOT and curved bricks introduced since many an AFOL dark ages the possibility for retrofuturistic/sleek and smooth-flowing builds has improved significantly.

Not to mention, we do also have a lot of great canopy parts which would work great for retro rocketcraft builds, parts like 85962 from 8970 Robo Attack, semi-cone parts like 189094754329096, and even the Jurassic World Gyrosphere assembly, something you could use for retro rocketcraft like this:

asterite.jpg?1328795277

If we want a non- commercial based themes (Licensed) we should all jump on Ymarilego's Quest builder which is on Lego ideas. [[[I'm not related:laugh:]]

This is a set of modules that could lead to years of individual mods/mocs and be a wonderful family or club project. I've supported these and would get any produced.

Just my 2Cents.

1 hour ago, knotian said:

If we want a non- commercial based themes (Licensed) we should all jump on Ymarilego's Quest builder which is on Lego ideas. [[[I'm not related:laugh:]]

This is a set of modules that could lead to years of individual mods/mocs and be a wonderful family or club project. I've supported these and would get any produced.

Just my 2Cents.

Did he not already made an Ideas project that got turned down during review? Sadly though...