Sign in to follow this  
Waterbrick Down

Heroica RPG - Quest #159: An Unexpected Return - Sewers

"I may have been uncertain before, but this is certainly one of our own, if you could call him that. I've quested with him a number of times. He...has his issues, to be sure, but we can really be picky with who we choose to work with these days, can we?"

We unfortunately, Cannot.  perhaps one of you could trow him a towel so we might be on our way.

20 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

Throlar blinked. At this point he wasn't really surprised by someone he knew appearing out of thin air, in fact it was starting to become a bit routine. He briefly wondered if it really was the person he once knew, Heckz's eyes hadn't glowed like that last time they'd met. All doubts were put to rest however at the sight of the man before him vomiting profusely and then leaping into a ridiculously self-aggrandizing boast without skipping a beat. He sighed, his head bowing as his hand rose gently to meet it, and remained in this pose for an indeterminate amount of time. The only signs of life he displayed were his gentle swaying and and the occasional quiet, muffled "Why?".

Heckz smiled.

"Why, you ask? Well, you see, why I chose to gift you with my presence is a long story indeed. It was a midsummer day wh-"

Wait...

"You... I know you! Your ruined my leather jacket once! Maybe you thought you could hide by changing from one dull outfit to an-"

He paused, putting two and two together and coming to the conclusion that his rescuers might all be "heroes". Indeed, his theory was proven when he quickly analyzed each of their faces. Nine heroes, four he knew, two he despised, one may have made him regurgitate a second time, and the other four he could care less for.

Seeing as he could get into a fight quickly were he not careful with what he says, and that he might profit from the heroes' obvious quest (even though he still thought Heroica was disbanded) if he plays his cards well, Heckz put on the biggest smile he could.

"But then again, you did just rescue me from a lifetime of flying and vomiting! Why, Frolal, I should thank your heroic and dull heart!"

He curtsied and, not having hugged any dwarven men before, he offered his hand in order to shake Throlar's (awkwardly).

8 hours ago, Asphalt said:

Vindsval steps aside to avoid the splatter.

You call me disgusting?  And yourself a hero?

He looks from Pretzel to Benji, 

You know this. . . man?

"Not only a hero, but Heckz Brutenhal, the matchmaker, the ghostbuster, the school inspector and the super sleuth. Now, show me some respect by not directing your foul breath at me."

8 hours ago, Flare said:

"A hero from the hall, at least that's what this foul fellow reminds me off. For sure I'm not sure if a demon has taken possession of him or if this is an evil twin." 

The mage attempted to imitate a very surprised look. He wouldn't want to make the powerful-looking prophet angry. Least of all when he realized that he fought with that very same prophet side by side, witnessing the man dispatch beasts left and right.

"Oh, Mister Benji! Is that you? Oh, I do hope your important self remembers a humble soul such as I! I noticed you took a liking to the overgrown lizards from that mysterious island some years ago, given the giant one a few feet from you."

He pointed at Vindsval.

5 hours ago, KotZ said:

Kiray looks on, dumbfounded at another Hero appearing before her. "You know, you look a little worse for wear. Maybe you should sit down for a moment."

He "truly" beamed at Kiray.

"Perhaps I should!"

... should keep up my honey-tongue with this one. Maybe it will lead to other types of activities involving the tongue...

He sits down.[/I]

2 minutes ago, Palathadric said:

"I may have been uncertain before, but this is certainly one of our own, if you could call him that. I've quested with him a number of times. He...has his issues, to be sure, but we can really be picky with who we choose to work with these days, can we?"

"Nice to see you, monk..."

"...Periwinkle? Anyhow, as far as I can tell, you people aren't a threat. So would anyone like to inform as to where I am and how you got me out of that dreadful realm of winds?"

Heckz takes off his muffler and hat, revealing his precious face.

image.png.b03517cf19f0a6c497aeff6006b926cb.png

1 hour ago, Cutcobra said:

Heckz smiled.

"Why, you ask? Well, you see, why I chose to gift you with my presence is a long story indeed. It was a midsummer day wh-"

Wait...

"You... I know you! Your ruined my leather jacket once! Maybe you thought you could hide by changing from one dull outfit to an-"

He paused, putting two and two together and coming to the conclusion that his rescuers might all be "heroes". Indeed, his theory was proven when he quickly analyzed each of their faces. Nine heroes, four he knew, two he despised, one may have made him regurgitate a second time, and the other four he could care less for.

Seeing as he could get into a fight quickly were he not careful with what he says, and that he might profit from the heroes' obvious quest (even though he still thought Heroica was disbanded) if he plays his cards well, Heckz put on the biggest smile he could.

"But then again, you did just rescue me from a lifetime of flying and vomiting! Why, Frolal, I should thank your heroic and dull heart!"

He curtsied and, not having hugged any dwarven men before, he offered his hand in order to shake Throlar's (awkwardly).

Throlar looked at Heckz for a long moment, contemplating wether or not to accept his handshake so that he could crush the man's fingers. Deciding that it wasn't worth it he very conspicuously didn't accept and said very slowly and deliberately;

"Throlar Wineghilm, my name is Throlar Wineghilm. And for future reference, mispronouncing someone's name can be taken as a very dire insult where I come from."

Vindsval rolls his eyes at the reported hero with an ego far beyond his reported standing.

You would speak to me of foulness as you soil yourself upon our meeting?  We all have names and titles, perhaps you missed your own of Hall Drunk and Pompous Block?  

This man insults us all, let us be on our way.  If he chooses to follow, that is not our concern.  He can lend his hand or not as he wishes.  We must continue our Path.

4 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

Throlar looked at Heckz for a long moment, contemplating wether or not to accept his handshake so that he could crush the man's fingers. Deciding that it wasn't worth it he very conspicuously didn't accept and said very slowly and deliberately;

"Throlar Wineghilm, my name is Throlar Wineghilm. And for future reference, mispronouncing someone's name can be taken as a very dire insult where I come from."

26621841541_b6c025c0ed_t.jpg
"And yet the Dwarves of Titaan continue to name their children Dhularlug and Hesgrumlir to this day if my memory serves me." Skrall jostled the dwarf with a smile.

1 hour ago, Asphalt said:

Vindsval rolls his eyes at the reported hero with an ego far beyond his reported standing.

You would speak to me of foulness as you soil yourself upon our meeting?  We all have names and titles, perhaps you missed your own of Hall Drunk and Pompous Block?  

This man insults us all, let us be on our way.  If he chooses to follow, that is not our concern.  He can lend his hand or not as he wishes.  We must continue our Path.

"Agreed, if we're set on stoppin' whatever chap it was who went through this portal the first time, we'd best be quick about it. Everybody ready?"

The ogre turns to the newly arrived mage,
"We're on a bit of demon hunt right now, feel free to fall in. Keep yer wits about ya, this one's a nasty one."

1 hour ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"And yet the Dwarves of Titaan continue to name their children Dhularlug and Hesgrumlir to this day if my memory serves me." Skrall jostled the dwarf with a smile.

"Agreed, if we're set on stoppin' whatever chap it was who went through this portal the first time, we'd best be quick about it. Everybody ready?"

Throlar grinned at the ogre's remark.

"True," he said, "Titaanese names can be rather difficult to pronounce for others. When I was younger I... may have caused a few diplomatic incidents due to my failure to grasp this."

His countenance darkened at Skrall's next query however, and his only response was a terse "Ready."

17 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

"Ruining someone's expensive jacket is an even graver insult, boo. I expected a shred of politeness from a so called "Diplomat", but then again, one shouldn't have such expectations from someone with "Whine" in their name..."

He quickly added a smile to his last pair of words.

"... my hero"

13 hours ago, Asphalt said:

"Soil? It's called cleansing. It helps with excess fat sometimes. Not surprised you haven't heard of it, but if I were in your gigantic boots, I'd give it a try."

Heckz bodyscanned the half-giant.

"'Hall Drunk'? You clearly don't know me. Then again, mentioning our official titles seems like a bold move from you. I believe I didn't catch yours, Mr...?"

12 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"We're on a bit of demon hunt right now, feel free to fall in. Keep yer wits about ya, this one's a nasty one."

Heckz was startled by the second giant figure in the group. Because this particular ogre appeared to be more importan, and because of Heckz's most hated color, he decided to focus his disgust and insults on Vindsval.

"Oh, it just so happens that I am an expert on demons! I don't mean to boast, but I even repelled an army of them in the academy. Might I ask, however, why you people are working together? I thought Heroica was disbanded. Is some other organization offering a reward or...?"

"Heroica has been officially disbanded, but we still work together. They can't stop us from doing that. There are grave powers at work in Eubric."

8 hours ago, Cutcobra said:

"Ruining someone's expensive jacket is an even graver insult, boo. I expected a shred of politeness from a so called "Diplomat", but then again, one shouldn't have such expectations from someone with "Whine" in their name..."

He quickly added a smile to his last pair of words.

"... my hero"

Throlar considered responding, fantasizing about making some witty and cutting remark that would make this fool shut up, but it wouldn't't do. He knew that no matter what he said the vainglorious idiot just wouldn't take any notice. So, repressing the urge to sigh in despair, he silently got out Verkenner and held the broom out by his side before letting it go, causing it to hover in the air. And then, without a word, he climbed on, seated himself, and rode it away through the portal.

9 hours ago, Cutcobra said:

"Oh, it just so happens that I am an expert on demons! I don't mean to boast, but I even repelled an army of them in the academy. Might I ask, however, why you people are working together? I thought Heroica was disbanded. Is some other organization offering a reward or...?"

"Yer right, Heroica ain't no more. Some of us work for the Wolfgang, though I don't know how much that'd sit with ya. But pretty much all of us don't enjoy gettin' bossed around by hob-nobbin' know-it-alls settin' themselves up as the soddin' saviors of the city." With that Skrall shouldered his weapons and moved through the portal.

42870655161_6c4dd9b3f7_t.jpg
"Euflear, you need to go."

42748028751_4a3f08bf58_t.jpg
"I know..."

28048987598_b7cb9b1e07_t.jpg
"Don't worry, we'll see to him."

The Fey One turned for a moment before laying her forehead upon the tortured fairies head.
42748028751_4a3f08bf58_t.jpg
"Níniatha n'i lû n'i a-govenitham"

The Fey one steps through the portal. Back on Olegaia deep underground, Skrall, Throlar, and the veteran can hear the sound of armored creatures moving close ahead, just beyond the corner of the next tunnel.

Benji silently follows the Fey One through the portal, ignoring Heckz' flattering comments.

17 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

Throlar considered responding, fantasizing about making some witty and cutting remark that would make this fool shut up, but it wouldn't't do. He knew that no matter what he said the vainglorious idiot just wouldn't take any notice. So, repressing the urge to sigh in despair, he silently got out Verkenner and held the broom out by his side before letting it go, causing it to hover in the air. And then, without a word, he climbed on, seated himself, and rode it away through the portal.

Karie catches up with Throlar and leans into his ear. "You did pretty well back there dealing with Heckz. I probably would've killed him, myself, or came close to doing so. Me and Heckz don't get along."

Karie follows Throlar through the portal.

3 hours ago, Kintobor said:

Karie catches up with Throlar and leans into his ear. "You did pretty well back there dealing with Heckz. I probably would've killed him, myself, or came close to doing so. Me and Heckz don't get along."

Throlar nodded in response. "One thing I've learned in Heroica," he said, "is that some people aren't worth arguing with, I'm glad you approve."

He squinted down the tunnel.

"I'm going to scout ahead," he said, "floating down on this," he patted the broomstick, "should be quieter than walking."

With that he set off down the tunnel, keeping close to the sides and making as little noise from atop the broom as possible, trying to get close to the corner and listen in on whoever was around it.

Edited by Lord Duvors

32 minutes ago, Lord Duvors said:

Throlar nodded in response. "One thing I've learned in Heroica," he said, "is that some people aren't worth arguing with, I'm glad you approve."

"I'm going to scout ahead," he said, "floating down on this," he patted the broomstick, "should be quieter than walking."

"It's a lesson I wish I had learned earlier. Knowing what battles to engage in and when to walk away is leadership skills that we are going to need once all this is over." Karie replies, watching Throlar affectionately pat his broom. She watches him drift off down the tunnels, wondering what the dwarf had planned for the future. 

"Skrall, any idea where we are?"

On 6/26/2018 at 8:41 PM, Waterbrick Down said:

"Ready."

On 6/27/2018 at 9:54 AM, Cutcobra said:

Heckz bodyscanned the half-giant.

"'Hall Drunk'? You clearly don't know me. Then again, mentioning our official titles seems like a bold move from you. I believe I didn't catch yours, Mr...?"

Heckz was startled by the second giant figure in the group. Because this particular ogre appeared to be more importan, and because of Heckz's most hated color, he decided to focus his disgust and insults on Vindsval.

Lind frowned. If there was one thing that most of the newer heroes wanted, it was a title. And if there was one thing that had almost been impossible to get, it was a title. And if there was one thing Lind didn't like, it was older heroes ragging on newer heroes for things they had no control over.

It rarely happened...but that just made the times it did happen seem the more grating.

He stepped forward.

"That's Vindsval Half-Born, Vindicator of the Wanderer, Unintentional Instigator of Moone, Cowboy of the Lands of the Golden Sundragons, and All Around Decent Chap."

He shrugged.

"That titled enough for you?

And, no, there's no reward. Just what we can pick up along the way...without offending local customs."

On 6/27/2018 at 7:37 PM, Waterbrick Down said:

"Yer right, Heroica ain't no more. Some of us work for the Wolfgang, though I don't know how much that'd sit with ya. But pretty much all of us don't enjoy gettin' bossed around by hob-nobbin' know-it-alls settin' themselves up as the soddin' saviors of the city." With that Skrall shouldered his weapons and moved through the portal.

The Fey one steps through the portal. Back on Olegaia deep underground, Skrall, Throlar, and the veteran can hear the sound of armored creatures moving close ahead, just beyond the corner of the next tunnel.

"Sir! I resemble that remark!" Lind chuckled as he followed the Ogre through the portal...then his smiled faded as he took one last look behind him, at the perishing fairy, before that entire realm whisked itself away.

3 hours ago, Kintobor said:

"It's a lesson I wish I had learned earlier. Knowing what battles to engage in and when to walk away is leadership skills that we are going to need once all this is over." Karie replies, watching Throlar affectionately pat his broom. She watches him drift off down the tunnels, wondering what the dwarf had planned for the future. 

"When I opened the portal, I saw things...first Olegaia...then Uland...then Eubric...then underground...then a tunnel under the city."

I think we're near the Temple of Zoot, if I had to make a guess. The rockwork...and I don't like the sound of that armor.

...It may actually be for the best that we have that weather mage. I don't mind fighting an Arch Demon on neutral ground...but on their home turf? We can use all of the demon experts we can get...annoying as some of them may be." The Black Knight shook his head, and turned towards Karie. "...Was I like that, back in the days?"

He looked down the tunnel towards Heckz. "...Because with every word he speaks, I feel like I'm having a bad flashback..."

12 hours ago, Kintobor said:

"We're definitely below sewer level, these tunnels are newly dug they ain't old construction. Lind ain't wrong, we're about in the same stratus as the old temple of Zoot, but I don't recall anything like this before."

13 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

With that he set off down the tunnel, keeping close to the sides and making as little noise from atop the broom as possible, trying to get close to the corner and listen in on whoever was around it.

As Throlar moves forward he notes most of the group following close behind ignorant of his plan. There's a brief shout as figures from the corner ahead rush forward, weapons drawn.

PREPARE FOR BATTLE!

QM Note: Follow Link

2 hours ago, Lind Whisperer said:

"When I opened the portal, I saw things...first Olegaia...then Uland...then Eubric...then underground...then a tunnel under the city."

I think we're near the Temple of Zoot, if I had to make a guess. The rockwork...and I don't like the sound of that armor.

...It may actually be for the best that we have that weather mage. I don't mind fighting an Arch Demon on neutral ground...but on their home turf? We can use all of the demon experts we can get...annoying as some of them may be." The Black Knight shook his head, and turned towards Karie. "...Was I like that, back in the days?"

He looked down the tunnel towards Heckz. "...Because with every word he speaks, I feel like I'm having a bad flashback..."

Karie focused on Lind as she prepared to go on the offensive. She patted Lind on the back, grinning while she did so. "If you feel like you were Heckz at one point, as if you were having a flashback, then you aren't Heckz now.

If it means anything, Lind, I'm happy you're here with me. You're a good man, and a good friend. Now come on, we've got work to do." 

2 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"We're definitely below sewer level, these tunnels are newly dug they ain't old construction. Lind ain't wrong, we're about in the same stratus as the old temple of Zoot, but I don't recall anything like this before."

As Torald moves forward he notes most of the group following close behind ignorant of his plan. There's a brief shout as figures from the corner ahead rush forward, weapons drawn.

PREPARE FOR BATTLE!

QM Note: Follow Link

OoC: Cool! Torald joined us! :head_back:

1 hour ago, Kintobor said:

Karie focused on Lind as she prepared to go on the offensive. She patted Lind on the back, grinning while she did so. "If you feel like you were Heckz at one point, as if you were having a flashback, then you aren't Heckz now.

If it means anything, Lind, I'm happy you're here with me. You're a good man, and a good friend. Now come on, we've got work to do." 

"Coming from you...yeah, that means a lot." Lind grinned back.