Sign in to follow this  
Waterbrick Down

Heroica RPG - Quest #159: An Unexpected Return - Sewers

20 hours ago, Asphalt said:

Vindsval jams the club into his belt and pulls the Crystal BladeĀ from its place on his back.

If it is a blade of light that is needed to cut back the darkness, would that once wielded by an Angel suffice?

26621841541_b6c025c0ed_t.jpg
"Probably wouldn't hurt to give it a try."

Let us see where this Path leads.

Vindsval Holds out the Crystal blade and lays its point against the nearest of the Vines.

On 6/14/2018 at 5:52 PM, Lord Duvors said:

With that Throlar knelt down beside the bound figure of the Fey One and began using theĀ Unicorn's HornĀ toĀ nurtureĀ them, muttering under his breath as he did;

"Angel, whoever you are, whatever your name is, and whatever god you serve, if any, if you can help us now in any way, then please do so. I beg of you."

On 6/15/2018 at 4:43 PM, Asphalt said:

Let us see where this Path leads.

Vindsval Holds out the Crystal blade and lays its point against the nearest of the Vines.

41031255240_c6e380ca97.jpg

A cold grey light begins to illuminate the room as a celestial figure begins to materialize behind Throlar. At the angel's appearance, the vines begin to tremble and shake. Vindsval's blade begins to hack through the demonic plants which curl back at the mere touch of the vindicator's weapon. At long last the Fey One is free and their corpse rolls over barely still alive, as the party looks around the angel is no where to be seen. A brief moment passes before veteran starts awake with a gasp.

42748028751_4a3f08bf58_t.jpg
"Hhhhhh!!!!"

Ā 

As Throlar's angelic guardian disappeared Throlar, and Throlar alone, heard a voice saying;

"I am Ophaniel, the Grey Angel. Once I was a servant of Ennoc, but long ago, when Mercuton became host to demons and the paladins of Ennon waged war against them, the suffering caused was so great that I could not bear to idly watch from heaven. And so I chose to fall so that I could help the meek and destitute of the world directly instead."

Throlar listend to the words of his companion, and as he did a look of reverential awe overcame his features.Ā Then suddenly they collapsed again, as if some internal consideration had soured his feelings. The voice however continued;

"Do not think of yourself as unworthy, I know of your past actions, and of your desire to redeem yourself for them. Do not worry, you have proven compassionate and willing to learn form past mistakes, and filled with a desire to help those in need and to protect the helpless.Ā Redemption is not unobtainable for you. You have alreadyĀ achievedĀ it."

At these words Throlar was unable toĀ help himself.Ā He smiled more joyfully than anyone there had ever seen, seeming transformed by the words.

41940476375_e8095611eb_t.jpg

1 hour ago, Waterbrick Down said:
"Hhhhhh!!!!"

Ā 

The Fey One's pained gasp brought Throlar back to reality with a start.

"Aaahhh!" he said frantically, "Err, Aaa, Gah!" he continued, desperately trying toĀ nurtureĀ the fallen founder.

"Is everything alright? Are you hurt? Are you being mind controlled and about to attack us? Please say no."

2 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

As Throlar's angelic guardian disappeared Throlar, and Throlar alone, heard a voice saying;

"I am Ophaniel, the Grey Angel. Once I was a servant of Ennoc, but long ago, when Mercuton became host to demons and the paladins of Ennon waged war against them, the suffering caused was so great that I could not bear to idly watch from heaven. And so I chose to fall so that I could help the meek and destitute of the world directly instead."

Throlar listend to the words of his companion, and as he did a look of reverential awe overcame his features.Ā Then suddenly they collapsed again, as if some internal consideration had soured his feelings. The voice however continued;

"Do not think of yourself as unworthy, I know of your past actions, and of your desire to redeem yourself for them. Do not worry, you have proven compassionate and willing to learn form past mistakes, and filled with a desire to help those in need and to protect the helpless.Ā Redemption is not unobtainable for you. You have alreadyĀ achievedĀ it."

At these words Throlar was unable toĀ help himself.Ā He smiled more joyfully than anyone there had ever seen, seeming transformed by the words.

The Black Knight from the ancient Forest could hear nothing, but something about the room - perhaps some strange aura - seemed to draw a quiet, happy smile to his face.

3 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:
A brief moment passes before veteran starts awake with a gasp.

"Hhhhhh!!!!"

The pained cries of the sapped veteran quickly shookĀ him back, however, and bending down, he offered the ancient hero a remedy.

"Drink this,Ā carefully, now.Ā You've been through a lot.

No worries - you're among friends.Ā Name's Whisperer, Lind Whisperer, Black Knight -Ā and these other fine gents and ladies are from Heroica as well. Except for the fairies, of course. We're hereĀ to rescue you."

41940476375_e8095611eb_t.jpg

The Fey One's pained gasp brought Throlar back to reality with a start.

"Aaahhh!" he said frantically, "Err, Aaa, Gah!" he continued, desperately trying toĀ nurtureĀ the fallen founder.

"Is everything alright? Are you hurt? Are you being mind controlled and about to attack us? Please say no."

Lind chuckled as he watched the paladin leap back and forth between nurturing and defending. It reminded him of his early years in Heroica.

"We really should have quested together, before this."

5 minutes ago, Lind Whisperer said:

The pained cries of the sapped veteran quickly shookĀ him back, however, and bending down, he offered the ancient hero a remedy.

"Err... ahh.. you don't need to do that, the Unicorn's Horn's properties should allow my healing to do everything a remedy could."

7 minutes ago, Lind Whisperer said:

Lind chuckled as he watched the paladin leap back and forth between nurturing and defending. It reminded him of his early years in Heroica.

"We really should have quested together, before this."

"I... I really can't say... sorry, I'm a bit rattled right now. I'm probably going to need to sit down for a minute as soon as we have a moment."

Kiray rushes to the Founder's side to help any way she can. "If she can't walk, we'll have to carry her out of here. Vindsval, do you think you could manage if that's the case?"

19 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

The Fey One gives a slight grin,
"Would I tell you if I was?" The veteran straightens up with a slight bit of pain, but thanks to the paladin's nurturing he no longer looks on the verge of death. As the Fairy turns around, ThrolarĀ catches a glance of blood soaked stains on the Fey One's tunic where his wings should be.

17 hours ago, Lind Whisperer said:

No worries - you're among friends.Ā Name's Whisperer, Lind Whisperer, Black Knight -Ā and these other fine gents and ladies are from Heroica as well. Except for the fairies, of course. We're hereĀ to rescue you."

"Thank you Lind Whisperer, my name is Euflear, and I am indeed in your debt." The veteran bows to the heroes and to the other fairies who bow in return.

28048987958_ffe231f8f7_t.jpg
"We had thought you dead, Far Traveler."

"I very nearly was, I dreamed for so long. Nightmares... visions... the horror wrought upon my people and our land."

28048987598_b7cb9b1e07_t.jpg
"There is not much left of either I fear..."

16 hours ago, KotZ said:

Kiray rushes to the Founder's side to help any way she can. "If she can't walk, we'll have to carry her out of here. Vindsval, do you think you could manage if that's the case?"

"Thank you youngling, I believe I can manage. Now, you can't complete a rescue without an escape, I assume you all..." The veteran winces from some healed wound. "have a plan for that?"

Benji watches as the Fey One is miraculously saved. He looks around, to see if there any exits in the room besides the one they came through. He leaves the talking to the rest of the party.Ā 

Edited by Flare

10 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Would I tell you if I was?" The veteran straightens up with a slight bit of pain, but thanks to the paladin's nurturing he no longer looks on the verge of death. As the Fairy turns around, Torald ThrolarĀ catches a glance of blood soaked stains on the Fey One's tunic where his wings should be.

(Torald ain't here mate.:tongue:Ā By the way, did I lose anyĀ either for healing them twice? I'd assume so, but you didn't make any mention of that so I thought I'd make sure.)

No," said Throlar with a slight smirk, "I guess you you wouldn't." His smile faded rapidly as soon as he caught sight of theĀ fairy's injuries. "Oh, oh gods..."

Ā 

"Thank you youngling, I believe I can manage. Now, you can't complete a rescue without an escape, I assume you all..." The veteran winces from some healed wound. "have a plan for that?"

Throlar stopped staring at the horrific wounds on Euflear's back and refocused on their face.

"I'm afraid we didn't actually stop to plan very much. Of course we could always walk out the front door, we did clear the way getting in after all. We also believe there may be a portal to Eubric on one of the upper floors if you'd like to go there instead. Speaking of Eubric,Ā It's in a bit of a sorry state right now. That's sort of why we came here."

Throlar held out a hand as it to help the fairy to their feet. "Do you need any help getting up?" he said. "Oh! where are my manners, my name is Throlar Wineghilm."

Edited by Lord Duvors

"Would I tell you if I was?" The veteran straightens up with a slight bit of pain, but thanks to the paladin's nurturing he no longer looks on the verge of death. As the Fairy turns around, Torald catches a glance of blood soaked stains on the Fey One's tunic where his wings should be.

Karie winces as she notices the blood drenched across Euflear's back. What kind of monster does such a thing as rip a fairy's wings off it's back?

"Far Traveler? How does one come upon a title like that?"

2 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

(Torald ain't here mate.:tongue:Ā By the way, did I lose anyĀ either for healing them twice? I'd assume so, but you didn't make any mention of that so I thought I'd make sure.)"I'm afraid we didn't actually stop to plan very much. Of course we could always walk out the front door, we did clear the way getting in after all. We also believe there may be a portal to Eubric on one of the upper floors if you'd like to go there instead. Speaking of Eubric,Ā It's in a bit of a sorry state right now. That's sort of why we came here."

Throlar held out a hand as it to help the fairy to their feet. "Do you need any help getting up?" he said. "Oh! where are my manners, my name is Throlar Wineghilm."

QM Note: Sorry about that. Trying to keep 3 quests is really starting to get to me.Ā :laugh:

"Well met Throlar." The fairy takes the Dwarf's hand to stand. "If the Faerie is in as sorry a state as it sounds, my people will have fled and the rotting flower would have followed them, even to Eubric. This tower... in its place once stood the testament to our creativity, to our passion, now it a husk, serving only to wrench that power from our very bones. We should ascend and then ensure its destruction."

"But, my friend, your injuries."

"Have no fear, Rinti, we travel in the company of heroes now."

5 hours ago, Flare said:

Benji watches as the Fey One is miraculously saved. He looks around, to see if there any exits in the room besides the one they came through. He leaves the talking to the rest of the party.Ā 

Benji spots a concealed stone door along one of the walls, nearly hidden within the shadows of the dungeon.

1 hour ago, Kintobor said:

Karie winces as she notices the blood drenched across Euflear's back. What kind of monster does such a thing as rip a fairy's wings off it's back?

"Far Traveler? How does one come upon a title like that?"

"My race do not travel often to the other planes though they are quite capable, for thereĀ are none as mutable as this one. Olegia is not the only world and in my longĀ years I have traveledĀ the lands of many others. Seen civilizations that surpassed those of the Kingdoms of this world by far. I have what our people term, the Orn, the Wanderlust."

Benji spots a concealed stone door along one of the walls, nearly hidden within the shadows of the dungeon.

Benji grunts and walks over to the concealed door and opens it up.Ā 

"My race do not travel often to the other planes though they are quite capable, for thereĀ are none as mutable as this one. Olegia is not the only world and in my longĀ years I have traveledĀ the lands of many others. Seen civilizations that surpassed those of the Kingdoms of this world by far. I have what our people term, the Orn, the Wanderlust."

"I suppose if the Faerie is it's own separate place outside of Olegaia, it's not out of the realm of possibility there's other places besides Olegaia." Karie admits. She wondered what sights the Fae One might've seen in her travels, but she quickly reminded herself about the task at hand. She could daydream later. She notices Benji fidgeting with the wall, hopefully finding a way out. She turns back to Euflear.Ā "We've had to go through a lot of hoops to get to you. Hopefully once we're in a safer position you can help explain to us what's going on. We were told that you and Cain had been in communication about what has been going on here in the Fae, but... a few days ago, Cain was murderer by the Founders of Heroica. Euflear, do youĀ have any knowledge about the Founders still being alive,Ā after all these years of them seemingly being dead?"

"Pretzel." I say, having not been spoken to. "Monk Pretzel. Um...we should leave...or try to catch whichever demon is up there trying to escape."

17 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Thank you Lind Whisperer, my name is Euflear, and I am indeed in your debt." The veteran bows to the heroes and to the other fairies who bow in return.

"Don't mention it." The Black Knight tipped his head.

"Escape plans...afraid not, we're pretty much just making it up as we go."

His face darkened with sadness, as he saw the Founder's maimed back.

4 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Well met Throlar." The fairy takes the Dwarf's hand to stand. "If the Faerie is in as sorry a state as it sounds, my people will have fled and the rotting flower would have followed them, even to Eubric. This tower... in its place once stood the testament to our creativity, to our passion, now it a husk, serving only to wrench that power from our very bones. We should ascend and then ensure its destruction."

Although the idea of blowing up the tower instantly intriguedĀ him, Lind focused on a different, and more important, tack. "TheĀ rotting flower, as you call it...what do you know of it?Ā We've been keeping our eyes and ears open, but we're still in the dark.

Other worlds...Hmm...A very interesting discussion..." He looked about the desolateĀ room. "But this is hardly a place to discuss it."

3 hours ago, Flare said:

"Need a hand with that?"

2 hours ago, Kintobor said:

"I suppose if the Faerie is it's own separate place outside of Olegaia, it's not out of the realm of possibility there's other places besides Olegaia." Karie admits. She wondered what sights the Fae One might've seen in her travels, but she quickly reminded herself about the task at hand. She could daydream later. She notices Benji fidgeting with the wall, hopefully finding a way out. She turns back to Euflear.Ā "We've had to go through a lot of hoops to get to you. Hopefully once we're in a safer position you can help explain to us what's going on. We were told that you and Cain had been in communication about what has been going on here in the Fae, but... a few days ago, Cain was murderer by the Founders of Heroica. Euflear, do youĀ have any knowledge about the Founders still being alive,Ā after all these years of them seemingly being dead?"

50 minutes ago, Palathadric said:

"Pretzel." I say, having not been spoken to. "Monk Pretzel. Um...we should leave...or try to catch whichever demon is up there trying to escape."

"I'm with Pretzel on this one. We can talk on foot."

5 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Ā 

"Very well then, we'd best be on our way. If you need someone to help you walk feel free to ask."

5 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Ā 

Throlar blinked. At this point he wasn't really capable of giving this statement a suitable response, still being rather tooĀ shaken by the words of his guardian to fully register another revelation so soon afterwards. Still, he couldn't let this pass unremarked;

"Well... one of the planets that neighbors Olegaia, Galidoor, has been proven to have oceans and seas on it's surface. It's notĀ unlikely that it could harbor life, civilized or otherwise. Nor is it implausible that other such worlds could exist.Ā But to have it confirmed in such a way is... well, it's unexpected to say the least. I would dearly love to hear about them if you ever have the time to tell. Or perhaps even journey there..." his voice trailed off at this point, as if he was unable to truly comprehend the meaning of his own words.

On 6/17/2018 at 3:23 PM, Flare said:

Benji pries open the door, inside the prophet discovers a small closet and:
2 Grand Potions
1 Phoenix Essence
A small manual detailing the workings of some sort of machine

On 6/17/2018 at 4:30 PM, Kintobor said:

Euflear stands for a moment utterly shocked.
"No, you must be mistaken... you couldn't have seen them... Landura, I was with her when she died, surrounded by her numerous progeny. Wanderburg, he was killed in battle along with his tribe repelling invaders from the Helvetian Sea riding a gigantic sea serpent. Rolandar, passed away quietly, he found solace in the undead city of Fellcrest, a place where no one feared death or paid him to escape it. Yuliana and I adventured all throughout Dastan and I swore that upon her death, I would watch over her children. I am ashamed that I forsook my responsibility until only recently and now... it would seeem... I still failed her. Untergang, the poor fool, I should have been there that day... should have been at his side while he battled the dark angel. I bore with him through his madness, he even dwelt here for a time and was calmed by our Fae powers, but in the end I saw him laid to rest back in Titaan."

On 6/17/2018 at 6:58 PM, Lind Whisperer said:

Although the idea of blowing up the tower instantly intriguedĀ him, Lind focused on a different, and more important, tack. "TheĀ rotting flower, as you call it...what do you know of it?Ā We've been keeping our eyes and ears open, but we're still in the dark.

"The archdemon Rosier, for years she and her dark druids warred with my people. She feeds upon our very essence and grows stronger and more terrible by consuming it. For ages she was bound to theĀ LostĀ ForestĀ upon your plane, but she was somehow freed and able to regain a physical form and with her new found strength able to overwhelm our defenses. Her poison spread throughout the Fae and while some of the Fairy escaped, others such as myself were captured and our very being harvested. I am unsure for how long I have been under,Ā do you believe Rosier is still here?"

"We're going to find out real quick."

The party ascends the steps to the upper level of the tower and are only greeted with a laboratory of sorts. On the ground a circle surrounded by runes still glows dimly.Ā Within the laboratory a suffering figure is stretched upon a rack, his body hooked to some sort of machine.

42870660161_7b818c76ae_z.jpg

4 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Euflear stands for a moment utterly shocked.
"No, you must be mistaken... you couldn't have seen them... Landura, I was with her when she died, surrounded by her numerous progeny. Wanderburg, he was killed in battle along with his tribe repelling invaders from the Helvetian Sea riding a gigantic sea serpent. Rolandar, passed away quietly, he found solace in the undead city of Fellcrest, a place where no one feared death or paid him to escape it. Yuliana and I adventured all throughout Dastan and I swore that upon her death, I would watch over her children. I am ashamed that I forsook my responsibility until only recently and now... it would seeem... I still failed her. Untergang, the poor fool, I should have been there that day... should have been at his side while he battled the dark angel. I bore with him through his madness, he even dwelt here for a time and was calmed by our Fae powers, but in the end I saw him laid to rest back in Titaan."

Karie frowns, not out of disappointment or anger, but genuine sorrow. Euflear had been through a lot, that much was certain. To bring this up now might have been too much.Ā Karie rested a reassuring hand on Euflear's shoulder. "It's going to be okay. If what you say is true, than I do not believe that the Founders currently in Eubric are who they claim to be, but are imposters disguised as them. Who those imposters are, I'm not sure yet, but I doubt they have the best intentions at heart.Ā I didn't mean you any distress.

My name is Karie, by the way, Karie Alderflask-Cour. If it means anything, it's an honour being in your presence."Ā 

Ā 

10 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

The party ascends the steps to the upper level of the tower and are only greeted with a laboratory of sorts. On the ground a circle surrounded by runes still glows dimly.Ā Within the laboratory a suffering figure is stretched upon a rack, his body hooked to some sort of machine.

As Karie came into view of the scene in the upper level, a gross chill crawledĀ up her spine. She feltĀ a sickness knot itself in her stomach as she backed up, a look of fear closing in on her. Visions of tentacled menaces raced through her head, grabbing and cloying at her with their inky tendrils. Karie had tried her best to remove any and all thoughts of Oculoids from her mind, but the lab equipment immediately repulsed her into a place she wished not to linger in.

"I... oh, gods... I'm sorry, this is... I need a moment."

Benji looks in disgust at the scene. Glancing at the manual stuffed in his fist and glancing back at the machine connected go the body, he opens up the manual and reads it.Ā 

Vindvsval sneers in disgust andĀ pityĀ at the creature being tortured before them.

Benji is that the thing described in those pages? Ā 

He kneels to examine the runes in the floor beforeĀ proceedingĀ further.Ā 

Ā 

I use the skill of Craftsmanship to dismantle the machine.

I then check the knife and syringe if they're of any use.

18 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Upon seeing this spectacle of horror Throlar briefly paused in shock before rushing over and attempting to use theĀ Unicorn's HornĀ toĀ nurtureĀ the person before him. Those who saw his face at this point saw that it crossed by an expression of mingled horror and pity-and a smoldering rage at the monstrosity of the being that could do this.

Ā 

18 hours ago, Kintobor said:

As Karie came into view of the scene in the upper level, a gross chill crawledĀ up her spine. She feltĀ a sickness knot itself in her stomach as she backed up, a look of fear closing in on her. Visions of tentacled menaces raced through her head, grabbing and cloying at her with their inky tendrils. Karie had tried her best to remove any and all thoughts of Oculoids from her mind, but the lab equipment immediately repulsed her into a place she wished not to linger in.

"I... oh, gods... I'm sorry, this is... I need a moment."

"Take all the time you need." said Throlar with a nod toward her. "I'd offer to help youĀ but I need to attend to this person."

Sorry all, real life has been a real kicker this past week.

Kiray looks on in a mix of horror and fascination. She looks at the vials on the shelves. "There are some sick people in this world."

On 6/19/2018 at 12:06 AM, Kintobor said:

Karie frowns, not out of disappointment or anger, but genuine sorrow. Euflear had been through a lot, that much was certain. To bring this up now might have been too much.Ā Karie rested a reassuring hand on Euflear's shoulder. "It's going to be okay. If what you say is true, than I do not believe that the Founders currently in Eubric are who they claim to be, but are imposters disguised as them. Who those imposters are, I'm not sure yet, but I doubt they have the best intentions at heart.Ā I didn't mean you any distress.

My name is Karie, by the way, Karie Alderflask-Cour. If it means anything, it's an honour being in your presence."Ā 

"Well met Karie, yes it is indeed a shock to hear such news. I should accompany you back to Eubric. I would know who is bringing dishonor upon my beloved companions."

On 6/19/2018 at 8:24 AM, Flare said:

Benji looks in disgust at the scene. Glancing at the manual stuffed in his fist and glancing back at the machine connected go the body, he opens up the manual and reads it.Ā 

The manual details the inner workings of the dark druid's machine and how it extract Fairy Dust from the bodies of the Fae folk. There are instructions for disabling the machine, but...

23 hours ago, Palathadric said:

I use the skill of Craftsmanship to dismantle the machine.

I then check the knife and syringe if they're of any use.

Pretzel intuitive recognizes the nature of the machine and without even the manual disables its workings and is able to disconnect the fairy from the device. The leftover parts yield an Ether Core and a grating stone. The knife and syringe do not seem significant.

18 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

Upon seeing this spectacle of horror Throlar briefly paused in shock before rushing over and attempting to use theĀ Unicorn's HornĀ toĀ nurtureĀ the person before him. Those who saw his face at this point saw that it crossed by an expression of mingled horror and pity-and a smoldering rage at the monstrosity of the being that could do this.

42870655161_6c4dd9b3f7_t.jpg
*Cough* "Don't... don't bother." *Cough* "Not worth the effort I'm afraid," The face brightens slightly at the sight of Euflear but darkens again.

"Pereville..."

42870655161_6c4dd9b3f7_t.jpg
"My love, I'm sorry. I couldn't hold out" *Cough*Ā "I told him... I told him where our folk escaped to... I wasn't strong enough."

Euflear's face grimaced with sorrow and anger.
"..."

3 hours ago, KotZ said:

Sorry all, real life has been a real kicker this past week.

Kiray looks on in a mix of horror and fascination. She looks at the vials on the shelves. "There are some sick people in this world."

Kiray finds among the shelf:
2 Grand Potions
2 Grand Tonics
2 Remedies
2 Phoenix Essences
6 Jars of Fairy Dust