Sign in to follow this  
Darnok

[COR - Era II - Callenge 1 - Cat. B 1] The Miracle Flower

617, Day 25 of the 11th month, In the jungles of Celestia

We headed eastward and south for the last three days, following the river since yesterday. Ms. Garnet has been of invaluable help, telling me many things about the jungle here in general and a lot of plants and animals in particular. We hardly had to eat any of the rations I brought with me on this expedition, since she knows all the edible plants available - most of which are absolutely delicious!

When following the river this very morning, Ms. Garnet pointed out that there was a species of flower she assumed I would like to study. It meant a short detour south, but it was worth it. This deserves a letter to the Royal Society of Natural Philosphy.

aqTsrP6.jpg

6I8VAWJ.jpg

===

To the Royal Society of Natural Philosophy,

from Reinhard Wolffson on Celestia,

early on my expedition into the jungles of Celestia I have come across a plant like none I have seen before. In appearance somewhere between flower, bush and palmtree, the most prominent feature of it is its variety of differently colored flowers - ranging from orange to red and different shades of pink. Find attached some paintings of it (the range ruler representing 3m in fractions of 30cm each):

1d1o60Q.jpgG7vOP3k.jpg

By observing different examples of the plant, I have found another interesting fact. It seems that about one in thousand flowers is an anomaly: it is not in one of the colours named above, but combines all of them. Again, I have done a few paintings of one of such flowers (the range ruler representing 5cm in fractions of 5mm each):

tZ0IIDV.jpgsmZyfqr.jpg

This "miracle" combined with its overall richness in colours has given the plant its name: Mirabilis Celestia, or "Miracle Flower of Celestia".

Given the fact that the  seems to be quite common so close to the settlement of Jameston, I wonder if it can be grown on other islands of similar conditions like here on Celestia. Its beauty would make a great addition to the Queens properties. The rare flowers described above would make great presents for the Crowns guests of honour.

I remain a humble servant of the Crown. Long live the Queen!

Yours truly,

Reinhard Wolffson

===============================================================================

This post is my first entry for Category B of the Superb Orchid Challenge, in the subcategory "Flora". If you want to follow the surrounding story of Reinhards expedition on Celestia, have a look at this thread.

Some more pictures of the scenery build, as well as the flower in a "not-painting mode":

Spoiler

80XvQSt.jpg

0hrxFyK.jpg

N6dKs0O.jpg

6q2rLiY.jpg

C&C are welcome, as always.

Edited by Drunknok
Spelling. >.<

I like the use of the human interface tool ... The painted edit is clever

My only issue is the field rule ... I like its use in the flower shot but i wish you would have used 1x1 plates in the painting of the whole plant ... Sort of a forced perspective.  Thats my only issue with it other than that its a solid build

10 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

My only issue is the field rule ... I like its use in the flower shot but i wish you would have used 1x1 plates in the painting of the whole plant ... Sort of a forced perspective.  Thats my only issue with it other than that its a solid build

I think I understand your point, but I worked with this "one size fits all" ruler for a good reason. I have half a dozen more models that will be "painted" like in this entry. They all come with a range ruler, but represent different sizes of course. Instead of going for the impossible task to build rules in scale for every different build, I chose to use one easily visible (and placable - it can stand on its own without problem) ruler instead - which represents different scales each time.

4 hours ago, Drunknok said:

I think I understand your point, but I worked with this "one size fits all" ruler for a good reason. I have half a dozen more models that will be "painted" like in this entry. They all come with a range ruler, but represent different sizes of course. Instead of going for the impossible task to build rules in scale for every different build, I chose to use one easily visible (and placable - it can stand on its own without problem) ruler instead - which represents different scales each time.

I see where your coming from ... what I was suggesting is employ two scales that represent the same ruler. 

1516633454943-2017896340

so the first 1x1 plate scale would be placed by the full plant view and painted as if your character set it there.  The second 2x2 brick scale would be used in your close up paintings thus tricking the mind to believe its the same ruler and creating a "forced perspective" and reinforcing that the plant is larger than the flower instead of the other way around.  I hope that makes what i was saying clearer ... Like I said it was my only issue is in my mind it saw the scale the same and at first (making the flower larger than the plant)

Ps my example is not perfect as I just threw it together and did not want to detract from your thread but - cover up the left tire and scale then swap and cover the other ... Until you analyse your mind believes its the same tire.

29 minutes ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

I see where your coming from ... what I was suggesting is employ two scales that represent the same ruler. 

1516633454943-2017896340

This is what I imagined you would mean. If I had worked in only two different scales, this would be something I had done. But this is not the case - for now. If I come across a similar situation again (maybe for another challenge?), I will keep this approach in mind, because you are right insofar that your version looks much better and more believable.

Great idea to also show the "close up" version of the flower! I am working on something similar... Hopefully I'll build it on time!

Another really great entry. The use of the brick seperaters in the flower is a really great idea - probably one of the best Lego flowers I've seen done. The name is really cool as well. I'll be sure to try and incorporate the miricale flower into some of my future Jameston builds.