Sign in to follow this  
Elostirion

[CH 1A - ESL] Basement House, Montoya Street, Jameston, Celestia

39797033271_07684b61c1.jpg
Basement House, Montoya Street, Jameston, Celestia

39797034101_d24a1ce1da_c.jpg
Jameston had attracted many foreigners over the past few weeks. Rumours had gone around of an orchid to be
found on Celestia, an orchid so beautiful that everyone in the world would stop in silent adoration and just want
to watch it for the rest of their lives.
Juan Alfonso Fontonajo had assembled a small group of people around himself to lead an expedition into the
inner parts of the islands, up the mountains. He had recently been to Cocovia, to get an impression of what
might be the future of land based mobility: The Wagonway. And impressed he was, though also certain that
this was not what it should be in final perfection.
When he boarded a ship to Celestia with his servant Barlo Forga, he met a group of people who shared his
same goal: Finding the most beautiful orchid in the world on Celestia. They decided to join forces and set up
camp in Celestia first. Fontonajo hired a group of builders to construct the house that one of his new found
companions, Luca do Figino, had designed.

39797035611_d03d2de0fc_c.jpg
They dug about a metre deep into the ground and made a half open-basement - half of which soon became
a barn, while the other half became a workshop. As it was rather warm and moist on Celestia, this was the
perfect way to keep the air fresh while working on the preparations for their journey.

39797032731_2b227fbbfc.jpg
They had even planted some of the native Celestian flowers, with lightish blue patels. And they planned to
add more of the things they would find on this beautiful island. Hence also the barn, which might soon be
home to some of the island's native anmials.

Fontonajo's expedition group:

24926813597_8d2cf703ea.jpg
Juan Alfonso Fontonajo, heir to Román Esteban Fontonajo, fromer member of the Eslandolan Colonial Council
and still official mayor of Nova Terreli (though other family members are doing his duties during his absence.

39797033001_05e5c6a830.jpg
Lady Ludovica Grande from Mardier, born rich, married into nobility and a widow for more than 15 years after
her husbands mysterious death. After the end of the long-lasting Mardierian Civil War she decided to leave
Londa and discover the world with her friend - whereever they might end.

38898267505_7e705219b4.jpg
Luca do Figino, craftsman, inventor, visionary - from Terraversa. He had left his home in young years and
sailed to Mardier in the old world - where he found nothing but hostility towards him, because he was from
Terraversa. It was Lady Ludovica Grande who left him into her home and may well have saved his life during
the end of the Civil War.

38898268085_a9787fd52a.jpg
"The Doctor", a man from Corrington in his fifties who refuses to reveal more than his profession about
himself. He has been with Lady Ludovica for a while, and the two are said to be a couple.

39797032811_46290568ab.jpg
Barlo Forga, the bad-tempered servant of Juan Alfonso Fontonajo, who complains that that he has to do
all the work. To which Fontonajo replies not with words but with a decent weekly pay.

Edited by Elostirion

Love the concept here with the open basement, the light yellow and dark brown also make for a great combination!  The use of dark tan slopes in the barn section is masterly, though I imagine it might be a little tough on the olfactory nerves to have that so close to everything... :pir-laugh:

Absolutely fantastic Elos, I think you've nailed the Jameston style and all of the small details just make it pop. And what a lovely multi-national expedition, a Mardierian, a Terraversan and an Eslandolan, I look forward to seeing how this progresses. Though my favourite has to be The Doctor for obvious reasons. Great job!

Fantastic entry here Elos. I don't think I've seen the barn in the basement concept done here before, and it is a great idea. The stone work is beautifully textured and I absolutely love the bright light yellow upper level. How did you do the clear plates behind the windows? Are they just one stud behind - in the pictures it kind of looks like they are somehow inserted into the frame (which I'm pretty sure isn't possible... :pir-classic:) I like the design of the lamp on the exterior with the black horns, that's a great idea I will probably borrow at some stage. I like your expedition team, like with Lord Buckethead, the mysterious Doctor has especially picqued my interest! All the best on the expedition.

A very nice entry!

Superbly fleshed out characters and I really like the different photographs (one with the entire building/top floor and the other only with the basement). I also like the trans clear plated behind the windows as they "complete" the whole view (trans clear easily beats black bricks I guess :tongue:). For the history/architecture lovers, I have to mention that this building design of yours was really common in Europe (and elsewhere) back then, as the family used to live on the top floor and at the basement, they placed their livestock. All in all a great moc and good luck at the challenge!

Nicely done, Elos - great concept with the half-opened basement, and you've pulled it off really well too!  The inclusion of the lanterns adds a lot, and I'm looking forward to seeing what this expedition comes across! :pir-classic:

I love the design of this house, especially the half basement! Lovely architecture, and the basement/barn detail is excellent. Some great head/torso/leg combos on your minifigs as well! I'm also happy to see the Fontonajos active again. :thumbup:

On 21.1.2018 at 1:43 AM, Kai NRG said:

Love the concept here with the open basement, the light yellow and dark brown also make for a great combination!  The use of dark tan slopes in the barn section is masterly, though I imagine it might be a little tough on the olfactory nerves to have that so close to everything... :pir-laugh:

It's only a temporary residence, right? Those poor neigbours, though...
Thank you for the kind words. :-) 

On 21.1.2018 at 5:00 AM, Lord Buckethead said:

Absolutely fantastic Elos, I think you've nailed the Jameston style and all of the small details just make it pop. And what a lovely multi-national expedition, a Mardierian, a Terraversan and an Eslandolan, I look forward to seeing how this progresses. Though my favourite has to be The Doctor for obvious reasons. Great job!

Thank you so much! :-) 

On 21.1.2018 at 5:51 AM, Roadmonkeytj said:

An interesting floor plan and quite the story to match ... I like the window treatments.

Thanks! I made quite some attempts at achieving the windows this way, actually.

On 21.1.2018 at 9:50 AM, Ayrlego said:

Fantastic entry here Elos. I don't think I've seen the barn in the basement concept done here before, and it is a great idea. The stone work is beautifully textured and I absolutely love the bright light yellow upper level. How did you do the clear plates behind the windows? Are they just one stud behind - in the pictures it kind of looks like they are somehow inserted into the frame (which I'm pretty sure isn't possible... :pir-classic:) I like the design of the lamp on the exterior with the black horns, that's a great idea I will probably borrow at some stage. I like your expedition team, like with Lord Buckethead, the mysterious Doctor has especially picqued my interest! All the best on the expedition.

The plates are exactly just one stud behind. For the square windows I took the ones with some golden decoration on the glass, which might affect the visual density? But nothing fancy actually, just behind. (Though I mixed 1x2 and 1x1+1x1 each level.
Feel free to copy everything as usual. The lamp designs are losely based on at least similar design I have seen here before.
Thanks for the praises. Expedition will continue (already has, by now, actually).

On 21.1.2018 at 4:39 PM, blackdeathgr said:

A very nice entry!

Superbly fleshed out characters and I really like the different photographs (one with the entire building/top floor and the other only with the basement). I also like the trans clear plated behind the windows as they "complete" the whole view (trans clear easily beats black bricks I guess :tongue:). For the history/architecture lovers, I have to mention that this building design of yours was really common in Europe (and elsewhere) back then, as the family used to live on the top floor and at the basement, they placed their livestock. All in all a great moc and good luck at the challenge!

Trans clear for the win! But now that I think of it I should have added one layer of trans orange or two layers of trans black behind it to make it look really "complete".
And thanks a lot for your nice comment.

On 22.1.2018 at 12:18 PM, Garmadon said:

Nicely done, Elos - great concept with the half-opened basement, and you've pulled it off really well too!  The inclusion of the lanterns adds a lot, and I'm looking forward to seeing what this expedition comes across! :pir-classic:

Thank you! Feel free to read on the two next chapters, which I posted last night.

On 22.1.2018 at 9:30 PM, Capt Wolf said:

I love the design of this house, especially the half basement! Lovely architecture, and the basement/barn detail is excellent. Some great head/torso/leg combos on your minifigs as well! I'm also happy to see the Fontonajos active again. :thumbup:

Yeah, Fontonajo's never die after all (well, actually some might, at some point, just for story purposes).
And thank you so much for all the kind words! :-) 

On 27.1.2018 at 5:22 PM, Mike S said:

Excellent build! I really like the color and architectural style! :thumbup:

Thank you, really appreciate it. :-)