Murdoch17

4-4-2 "Atlantic" steam locomotive with Great West passenger train

I don't see many 4-4-2 Atlantic types steam locos around in LEGO, and even less orange-colored trains besides the TGV-like Horizon Express and SP Daylight 4449. This should fix both problems at the same time, and yes, it's build-able in this color in real life.

39090744274_f6280222c4_z.jpg

The Atlantic type 4-4-2 (4 leading, 4 driving, 2 trailing) was the top-of-the-line express train hauler in the middle 1890's to early 1910's. Some continued right up until the end of steam in the Fifties, with the Hiawatha's of the Milwaukee Road hitting 100 MPH speeds daily with this wheel arrangement.

39769023572_9d843c3db1_z.jpg

The engine should have  "3110" printed on it's cab and "GREAT WEST" on it's tender in 1 x 1 tiles.

39769024552_374325631d_z.jpg

The cab of the loco with four printed gauges and the firebox door.

39090744704_03a5074016_z.jpg

Four identical passenger cars in matching orange paint-scheme are pulled by the Atlantic-type steam locomotive. The words GREAT and WEST are supposed to be printed on the 2 x 4 tiles on either side of the cars.

38901462415_bd04fb5b53_z.jpg

Here you can see the whole train at once. I'm not sure when or if this loco and it's consist will be built, but if it is I will update this post here with better, real-world photos.

LDD file available at this link here

As usual, Comments, Suggestions, Questions, & Complaints are always welcome!

Edited by Murdoch17

Great job Murdoch, you did it again! Very much in the My Own Train style!

Awesome Atlantic. I think you're quite the LDD Train Designer. I'm also very impressed with your Hogwart Hall locomotive.

On 1/20/2018 at 4:51 PM, JopieK said:

Great job Murdoch, you did it again! Very much in the My Own Train style!

Thanks, that was my inspiration!

On 1/20/2018 at 6:01 PM, Steamdemon said:

Awesome Atlantic. I think you're quite the LDD Train Designer. I'm also very impressed with your Hogwart Hall locomotive.

Thank you, I try to help other by adding LDD files, so that others may build trains that I may never build in real bricks myself. It also keeps a handy record of my style as it progresses over the years!

speaking of LDD files, the one for this Atlantic and it's passenger train has been added here at Bricksafe.

Edited by Murdoch17