Gpack418

Classic Space Theme?

What are the odds Lego releases another line that coincides with their Classic Space theme?  I would love to see more of that blue and yellow spaceships and bases.  Just curious.  Sorry if that has been asked before on here, I'm a newer member.

Edit: They do show love to the series since they had DLC for a recent Lego game based on the theme

Edited by Gpack418

:laugh: Yes, this has been discussed a lot! The overall conclusion is that Lego will never bring back CS, but that there are many ways Lego could make CS sets, just not as a theme. The topic below should definitely interest you! 

Edited by LegoMonorailFan

1 hour ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

:laugh: Yes, this has been discussed a lot! The overall conclusion is that Lego will never bring back CS, but that there are many ways Lego could make CS sets, just not as a theme. 

I think that pretty much nails it. Benny's Spaceship is probably the most we can expect, plus the occasional nod to the theme here and there. 

Next year is 40th anniversary of classic space. The last years were pretty bad for space fans,so: The darkest hours are before dawn.

11 hours ago, danth said:

I'm holding out for a few Classic Space themed Creator sets. Fingers crossed!

Ditto! :thumbup: :grin:

1 hour ago, Sinthoras said:

Next year is 40th anniversary of classic space. The last years were pretty bad for space fans,so: The darkest hours are before dawn.

Isn't this year, 2018, the theme's 40th anniversary though?

1 hour ago, Sinthoras said:

Just looked on brickset. US release was 1978, rest of the world 1979.

Ah, okay, I didn't know that. 

Then that begs the question, which year does Lego consider to be the theme's official release year? Would it be its first overall appearance on store shelves, or perhaps its European release year instead? More specifically, is 2018 or 2019 the theme's official 40th anniversary?

I think TLG (The LEGO Group) considers 1978 to be the official release year.  Since they Included a miniature 497/928 Galaxy Explorer in their 40th anniversary of the Minifigure set.

Edited by Hart New Bob

A good description of the 1978 / 1979 release date difference is here. (also an interesting article about the great Jens Nygaard Knudsen)

Basically they rushed out the '79 sets to the usa in '78 rather than wait for the Nuremberg toy fair announcement. I get the impression another space based toy was in the process of stealing the limelight(!)

Hopefully there is something in the works for the classic space anniversary, (other than the crummy microscale 928) but I've not seen anything mentioned anywhere.

I even asked on a trip to the lego store but was given a confused look and pointed in the direction of batman :wacko:

13 minutes ago, xzanfr said:

I even asked on a trip to the lego store but was given a confused look and pointed in the direction of batman :wacko:

Huh, how could he think Batman when you asked about something as broad or understandable as "Space"? Perhaps by that gesture, he was more saying "that was Lego then, this is Lego now"? :def_shrug:

36 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Huh, how could he think Batman when you asked about something as broad or understandable as "Space"? Perhaps by that gesture, he was more saying "that was Lego then, this is Lego now"? :def_shrug:

Pretty much the impression that I got too. I actually had on my classic space logo t-shirt and pointed at it to see if it rang any bells with stuff she'd seen "out the back", but nothing. I'm just pleased she didn't call security about the confused old bloke pointing at his chest.

To be fair her parents probably weren't born in 1978 so I'm not surprised she didn't have an encyclopedic knowledge of old sets :D Nice lady and good sales assistant, though. Helped me out with some sets for my nieces.

Ah! Very informative! Thanks for the responses.  I am hopeful that they will put out at least a couple more sets for Classic Space.  It seems to be a favorite.  But I don't really know Lego's trends so I can't make any predictions

41 minutes ago, xzanfr said:

Pretty much the impression that I got too. I actually had on my classic space logo t-shirt and pointed at it to see if it rang any bells with stuff she'd seen "out the back", but nothing. I'm just pleased she didn't call security about the confused old bloke pointing at his chest.

Ha, by pointing to the logo on your T-shirt, perhaps that's why she thought of Batman. :laugh:

The best, perhaps only, hope for new Classic Space sets currently lies with the Lego Movie 2. Rumor is at least part of it involved Benny’s themed area, so we should see a set or two reflecting that. Other than that really the only hope would be some sort of massive D2C set that does for Space what the Imperial Flagship did for Pirates. 

On 19/01/2018 at 3:44 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Ha, by pointing to the logo on your T-shirt, perhaps that's why she thought of Batman. :laugh:

Ha! Great point, mate :laugh:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its sad that we've got to rely on a follow up to that awful film for anything new in classic space.

I really hope i'm wrong, but lego seem to be more interested in suckling from the corporate teat of Disney that honouring their own rich history -  hopefully they'll continue to release their own sets when Disney eventually buy them out.

Edited by xzanfr

I don't we'll get another in-house space theme for now, mostly because Star Wars. The Han Solo movie is coming and EPISODE IX is in the horizon

As Faefrost said, our best chance is The LEGO Movie Sequel

While Classic Space is still popular, I don't think it has a good chance of making a comeback. Lego has evolved a lot since those sets, and even a modern version of the theme would be almost unrecognizable. Space itself is probably shelved until at least 2021, when the last major planned Star Wars film comes out. 

At least we know, that we will get a space themed gift with purchase set in 2019 from the LEGO moments in space contest.

I think the best chance we'll have at ever seeing a line of sets that most closely resemble the Classic Space theme would be as a subtheme of City.

You see, whenever we do see the next in-house Space theme, it won't be without a conflict based storyline, something that wasn't present in any way within the Classic Space theme. So, why not have City's next space based subtheme be a moonbase set one, with payload rockets, moonrovers, and LL924/LL928 like shuttlecraft, all done in a homaged color scheme that calls back to Lego's original Classic Space line? :shrug_oh_well:

Besides, it wouldn't be that far fetched to take the City theme that direction, given all the places various recent exploration subthemes have gone.

12 hours ago, BrickJagger said:

Space itself is probably shelved until at least 2021, when the last major planned Star Wars film comes out. 

Most likely longer than that, as Disney has yet another trilogy to be helmed by Rian Johnson in the pipeline.

We are so freaking screwed. :angry:

6 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Most likely longer than that, as Disney has yet another trilogy to be helmed by Rian Johnson in the pipeline.

I feel for ya. I find myself resenting Star Wars' constant presence more and more with each passing movie. I like the franchise as a whole but I wish it would just fade away after Episode 9. :shrug_confused:

7 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Yeah, but I think there will be at least 3 years gap between trilogies.

LEGO can sneak in a one year space theme there

38 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

Yeah, but I think there will be at least 3 years gap between trilogies.

I don't know, I feel that Disney will likely have this next trilogy kicking off by 2021.

It's not set in stone exactly, but it seems like they a pattern set up for a saga instalment released every other year, with a anthology film filling in each gap year. After 2019's Episode IX, Disney will likely have the Obi Wan solo film releasing the following year (as of this writing, that not official, yet); and given how fast the Force Awakens came out after their acquisition of Lucasfilm (a little more than two years), this fourth trilogy may be here sooner than we realize.

Episode 9 comes out 2019. I'd bet money the next Star Wars trilogy would be out in 2021.

However doesn't LEGO Movie 2 come out next year? It's supposed to be a space base money.

I think the Arrowhead from the Freemaker Adventures is a pretty good match for Neo-Classic Space - I might even place it in the top three Lego Spaceships of the 21st century, beside Benny's Spaceship and the Space Police III Galactic Enforcer.  Its accent colors are not blue and yellow, but it has the same basic configuration as the large Classic spaceships of yore:

• a big light gray wedge with a sharply swept front section, less sharply swept mid-rear section, and sharply reverse-swept aft section
  • a large cabin with tandem seating, faired directly into the wedge base underneath a wedge-shaped canopy
  • an assortment of details that may be weapons or sensors, as you please
  • a big cargo bay near the rear of the ship (though here it holds crystals rather than a rover)
  • a big engine cluster at the back
  • a TLG original design and concept, despite the licensed branding

Also, the Bat-Space Shuttle is a pretty good match for a classic (though not Classic) Lego spaceship.  Despite taking its general shape from the real-world Space Shuttle, it has many of the same features as the largest ships in Space lines of the past:

• sleek sci-fi styling with lots of weapon and sensor details
  • several detachable modules
  • storage for a rover
  • a base
  • a TLG original design and concept, despite the licensed branding

I'm not planning to buy either of these sets, but I think they show the situation for more or less original Space sets isn't as dire as some people on some forums say.  TLG is pretty good at finding ways to include Spaceships where you least expect them, even without having a TLG-original "Space" line in production.