Sign in to follow this  
Shadow_ninja714

Do the #23800 wheels (Porsche 911 GT3 RS) make Sariel's virtual pivot steering obsolete?

Edit: Accidentally hit enter button.

Today I received my shipment for wheels (Part #23800) and matching tires, and I've noticed that the mounting point is at the edge of the rim like an actual car wheel. Because of this, the steering pivot is extremely close (if not dead-on) to the center of the wheel.

I was going to use Sariel's virtual pivot system on my project car (thinking of making a Toyota Supra (A80, 1993-2002)), but these wheels seem to make this system obsolete.

Is LEGO possibly beginning to move from center-mounted wheels to the more realistic edge-mounted wheels?

Edited by Shadow_ninja714

Nope, not even a bit. Lego hubs suck, and the Porsche wheels only work with their tires. Also, portal axles will not work with deep hubs, I dunno if Lego would make two different kinds. What would be really cool is if Lego made a rim with swappable spokes.

You probably mean this one

11.jpg

It was built for a large scale truck and I consider it to be rather a proof of concept. So far I haven´t seen any car builder having used it. You probably can´t add independent suspension to it. The steering mechanism shown there is operated by mini LA´s and is quite unusual and I guess it´s not perfectly useful a) in motorized applications regarding the synchronization or/and slipping actuators at the end points and b) in manual applications where you would have to turn the HOG endlessly.

And of course you are right: the Porsche wheels are the only wheels in big scale which have this realistic pivot point – how grateful I am, TLC :angel_sing:!  Indeed, I´ve bought an additional set recently (for less than 40 EUR, quite reasonable) – IMO the coolest upgrade ever in Technic, compared to the “old” wheels, which are being produced for all sort of vehicles till today. Another advantage: you can install fake (or even real) brake callipers inside.

Edit: the wheels from the 8448 supercar have a similar offset too.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=32197c01&name=Wheel 81.6 x 34 ZR Three Spoke Swirl, with Black Tire 81.6 x 34 ZR Thin Sporty Tread (32197 / 32196)&category=[Wheel & Tire Assembly]#T=C

Edited by brunojj1

Great answer @brunojj1! Just a minor addition: the Porsche rims don't have axle holes, which is the only drawback I see. As for portal hubs, the rims are so big they might fit custom portal hubs.

9 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

Great answer @brunojj1! Just a minor addition: the Porsche rims don't have axle holes, which is the only drawback I see. As for portal hubs, the rims are so big they might fit custom portal hubs.

Yes, portal hubs can ne made with 42000 hubs to fit inside Porsche Rim :wink:

Nothing is impossible, but I see many difficulties to build custom hubs for these wheels in general. Of course it would be nice to minimize the significant slack given at the official wheel hubs. But the attachment points are made specifically for them. However I would estimate that even if somebody came up with a custom hub, the steering pivot within the wheel center will be gone. The mentioned Toyota Supra A80 doesn´t need any custom / portal hubs necessarily :wink:. @shadow_ninja: looking forward to your build!

Edited by brunojj1

14 hours ago, brunojj1 said:

However I would estimate that even if somebody came up with a custom hub, the steering pivot within the wheel center will be gone.

I think @Jeroen Ottens Is doing this for his latest WIP. He uses belt wheels to for working brakes at the cost of a worse steering offset.