ColletArrow

[LDD MOC] 60198 Preliminary replica

After seeing the prelinary pictures for 60198 on Reddit/Imgur, I decided to have a go at building a MOC based on them, albeit only in LDD as I have no access to real bricks. Sticking to the original colour scheme, and using some designs posted by @creator_hun and @BrickMusher in the 2018 topic, I came up with this:

800x413.jpg

Now, the doors are not the same as the pictures as I wanted them to be recessed rather then just have a handrail sticking out. I also added some more detailed pantographs than the standard 3-piece ones LEGO tends to use, and the underframe detail is entirely freelance too. Overall though, I think it looks pretty good.

Then I thought: this loco is based off the SNCF BB 22200, which seems mainly used on passenger trains. So what would it look like in 60051 colours, with some of the carriages in tow? The answer is pretty neat:

800x413.jpg

800x413.jpg

If one were to build this IRL the glass in the windows would have to be trans-brown rather than clear. I coloured the window frames dark grey to match the surrounds on the coaches, and the ends yellow because I'm British and that's what I'm used to seeing.

My final thought was "what if one of these was used to rescue a broken-down 60051?" This is a scene inspired by the East Coast Main Line, where a couple of Class 67 "Thunderbird" locos are held ready to haul failed Class 91 trains. This required a little modification of the underside of 60051's nose to get a coupling in, but it works.

800x413.jpg

800x413.jpg

All these come with the disclaimer that as I have only built them in LDD I have no idea if all the parts exist in the relevant colours. I am sure most of them do, and if not they could easily be replaced by similar parts or different colours. I will probably not be building these in bricks anytime soon, but anyone is welcome to have a go. They're really not hard to reverse engineer.

Overall, what do you think? Are there any other colour schemes I should try?

Edited by ColletArrow
Re-inserted pictures

Those dark grey 2x6x2 windows did exist at one point, and since I happen to have a pair lying around, I might have to give this build a try!

Thanks!

Thanks! If anyone does build it, I would be interested to see how it comes out. I've realised the window in the door doesn't exist in DBG, so it's been replaced by 6003287552 is another alternative. The 1x2x2 panel just behind the cab windows also don't exist in green or DBG, but could easily be replaced by bricks. The 1x2 inverted bracket under the nose exists in white but not yellow, but could be replaced by the train end piece anyway. I think everything else is fine.

Here's the Bricksafe folder, with more pictures and the .lxf files: https://bricksafe.com/pages/Collet22/train-mocs.

Thank you both!
@LEGO Train 12 Volts The coupling was inspired by the BR Class 43 HST couplings, where a hatch in the nose fairing has to be opened and a long bar inserted in order to couple us to anything. This was similar, except because I couldn't open up the top of the nose I had to in from beneath. I have no idea how well it would perform in curves, it may need to be longer depending on how far the nose swings out.

@Capparezza I have; the loco in them is very small, so it's mainly guesswork, but here you go. In original colours, as close as possible:

640x332.jpg

It feels very BR Class 37/40/55 -ish now I have built one, despite the pantographs. I think the preliminary model looked better, but this is just as good a set.

Here's the "Preliminary replica" and "As close to actual release as I can manage" buffer-to-buffer. They're clearly very different locos, despite all that I've changed is the nose and cab shape. I've kept the detailed underframe on the new version, as I can't see what it is from the picture, and I still quite like it.

640x332.jpg

Here it is in 60051's colours, with the better pantographs:

640x332.jpg

...And finally, in 60051 colours with coaches:

640x332.jpg

Not bad, but I'll let you make your own judgments. I'll probably put the new .lxf on the bricksafe page soon.

Edited by ColletArrow
Re-inserted pictures

On 17/01/2018 at 2:40 PM, ColletArrow said:

Thanks! If anyone does build it, I would be interested to see how it comes out. I've realised the window in the door doesn't exist in DBG, so it's been replaced by 6003287552 is another alternative. The 1x2x2 panel just behind the cab windows also don't exist in green or DBG, but could easily be replaced by bricks. The 1x2 inverted bracket under the nose exists in white but not yellow, but could be replaced by the train end piece anyway. I think everything else is fine.

Here's the Bricksafe folder, with more pictures and the .lxf files: https://bricksafe.com/pages/Collet22/train-mocs.

Cheers ColletArrow

I liked your original design - I think it looks better than the real set - we will have to wait and see.

Great work @ColletArrow - thanks for sharing.

Love the look of this:

On 17-1-2018 at 12:23 PM, ColletArrow said:

Images are missing?

I think I might have to have a bash at building that in the white and yellow colour scheme (if the parts are available)

Edited by JopieK
Images were not found

Go ahead! Most of the parts should be there. The grey parts around the cab may need to be altered, such as different door-windows and trans-brown glass. The yellow bumper beneath the nose should really be replaced by 6583, it both looks better and actually exists.  Everything else should be there to some degree, and I'm reasonably confident of its structural integrity. I'd love to see this built in real bricks!

Really great stuff...thanks for posting this. I really like the white / gray versions, especially of the prototype.

Jep,

also love this colour scheme.

I replaced some parts due to availability. Think it should be buildable in this variation. Did a quick render in stud.io

Full credits to ColletArrow. Try to build it as soon as I get the missing parts (have not erverything in stock :cry_sad:)

http://39768439301_e8e4a4c391_c.jpgNS1600 by Brick Musher, auf Flickr

( @ColletArrow P.S. Hope my text under flickr-pic is ok for you... otherwise please send me a message with your wishes)

That's AWESOME! Thanks! The credit-ing is fine, I suppose it should really go to the LEGO designers as it was their model originally.

EDIT: I've re-organised my Bricksafe pages, so here's the new link for more pictures and .lxf files: https://bricksafe.com/pages/Collet22/train-mocs/60189-preliminary-replica 

Edited by ColletArrow

That looks so damned good! 

@ColletArrow, is there anything you came across during the build that might have dissuaded TLG to not go with this design? A step too difficult for (today's) kids to handle.

Right  - after spending a couple of hours playing around with the design based on parts availability - this is what i've come up with:

slrkWyS.png

I think it looks rather rakish :)

Parts ordered for about £50 for the lot and i should have them in the next few days. Will post some pictures of the finished build as soon as I've built it.

@ElectroDiva I like the yellow rails along the top, they complement the ends nicely. Really looking forward to it in real bricks! 

@Younge Thanks! Apart from the front window, not really. I just guessed on this design, TLG probably would have come up with a better solution. The nose might be a bit weak too, I'm not sure. 

On 1/17/2018 at 6:23 AM, ColletArrow said:

My final thought was "what if one of these was used to rescue a broken-down 60051?" This is a scene inspired by the East Coast Main Line, where a couple of Class 67 "Thunderbird" locos are held ready to haul failed Class 91 trains. This required a little modification of the underside of 60051's nose to get a coupling in, but it works

Not being familiar with the UK locomotives, I googled "Class 67 Thunderbird" and 2/3's of the photos had them pulling Class 91 trains (saving me another google, grin).

These are great builds, and the trick with the wagon end is brilliant.

Preliminary Train [MOC] in new colour-scheme

Took me some time, but here it is in the suggested colour-scheme

I did also a modified version (indeed I just modified ONE side, so the engine is different on left and right :laugh: )

I exspect your judgement about wich modification you like, and wich one I should rebuild. So here it is. As always, you will find more pictures on my flickr-account

Started with this LDD-render

http://39768439301_e8e4a4c391_c.jpgNS1600 by Brick Musher, auf Flickr

This is how it looks in real life:

http://38921884815_e6d94a9677_c.jpgNS1600 MOC by Brick Musher, auf Flickr

And here the modified second side:

http://38921846645_11ca36cf36_c.jpgNS1600 MOC by Brick Musher, auf Flickr

modification: black rail under Front-window, nose shortened one plate, red lights added, 1x1 tiles under front-window changed to round-slope 1x2 (no grooves), changed side-windows (60032 instead of 60592), white step at door instead of red, white grille in middle of body, handrails beside doors, doors with levers, small changes on undercarriage.

Let me know what you think about.

BrickMusher

P.S. Yes, I need a new camera. This is the best result I could get so far. Sorry

Edited by BrickMusher
added P.S., typos

Perfect! I think all the modifications you made to the nose look better, I was only trying to replicate the pictures we saw. I'm still not decided on the handrails; I prefer not to include them as they look over-scaled, but that's probably just me. All the other mods are so small they're barely noticeable. I think the 1x1 tile groove could also be solved by using older parts, that also won't have the groove, but your method is pretty neat. 

Incidentally, how well do the pantographs hold up?