Steamdemon

What pets do you own and what do they get up to?

Yes, I know there are topics out there, but they're 3/4 years out of date. 
I own a hamster called Natsu, named after the hot headed Dragon Slayer from Fairy Tail. He's friendly, but getting on in years. Then there are my three chickens. their names are Sybil, A Rhode Rock, Letty, a Light Sussex and Tosca, a Blue Bell. Of all the girls, Sybil is the friendliest and my favourite. Tosca seems to think she rules the roost, when I'm clearly bigger than her. Letty is not the easiest of hens to catch, and when I attempt, Tosca pecks me, as if to say 'HANDS OFF MY FRIEND!'

We've got several fish in a big outdoor pond. Too many to count.

And then we have Willow, a female ginger kitten, who is owned by my sister. She's friendly and playful. She's also a bit mischievous. She's snuck into my room a few times. Apparently she likes stealing big silvery gray technic pieces...

So, what pets do you own and what do they get up to?

Edited by Steamdemon

My Dachshund puppy likes to steal socks, and he waits for me to notice and then runs off to be chased. He's also extremely affectionate. 

Recently came home to find that Willow, the naughty girl had been in my room and half chewed a Lego piece... GRRR....

We have three cats at the moment, and my family had at least one cat for most of my life.

As long as they sleep - which they do a lot - they are not an issue. The rest of the time... eh. Among other things, our cats have "achieved":

• pushing builds off the table by accident
  • pushing builds off the table on purpose
  • running into/through piles of bricks on the ground/table/wherever
  • sitting (and later sleeping) on building instructions while I want to build something
  • playing ball with single bricks

If asleep however, they make nice motives for pictures with some types of builds. Here is a spider I did, stalking some "sleeping beauties":

hWRP3Ae.jpg

I've got some bad news. Natsu's on his way out, so I've moved everything to his ground floor to make his last few days comfortable... he's actually roughly 2 years in hamster age. He's still fighting on, though.

I have a twelve year old cat named Oni who loves to do terrible, terrible things to Lego.  He's stolen several minfigures and hidden them somewhere (I still havent' found his hiding place).  That's not the worst of it, though.  When I got home from work one day a few weeks ago, my wife informed me that one of the large plastic tubs we store Lego bricks in stank horribly.  It turns out that Oni had used one of the tubs as a litter box.  The bricks within were drenched in cat urine.  I promptly washed them all; but the smell hasn't entirely dissipated....

20 hours ago, bobasdad said:

(snip...)  The bricks within were drenched in cat urine.  I promptly washed them all; but the smell hasn't entirely dissipated....

Been, there, done that, had to throw away the T-Shirt...

The trick I found was to put the bricks in a separate tub, spray the whole thing down in a fine mist of Nature's Miracle, snap the lid on, shake it up and leave it in a sunny place for about a week then wash the bricks again with a mix of dish detergent and baking soda.  I found that the polycarbonate (trans colors) cleans up pretty well; the ABS can sometimes harbor a bit of a smell for a short time; and, the soft rubbery pieces (claws, whips, some spikey hair pieces) need to sit outside in bright sunlight even after cleaning to break down the smell.

In other news, as some may have guessed already, I also have a couple cats; a British Blue who loves the sound of loose brick and comes running when she hears it; and, a rescue tom who isn't very bright and likes to chew on polybags.  If you look at my avatar, you'll see I've built MOCs of the Pillars of the Kings from the Lord of the Rings.  My British Blue loves these statues and when I had them out for display she would routinely snap the hands off from all the self petting she was doing.

On 1/30/2018 at 3:31 PM, bobasdad said:

I have a twelve year old cat named Oni who loves to do terrible, terrible things to Lego.  He's stolen several minfigures and hidden them somewhere (I still havent' found his hiding place).  That's not the worst of it, though.  When I got home from work one day a few weeks ago, my wife informed me that one of the large plastic tubs we store Lego bricks in stank horribly.  It turns out that Oni had used one of the tubs as a litter box.  The bricks within were drenched in cat urine.  I promptly washed them all; but the smell hasn't entirely dissipated....

My cat used an opened tub of bricks as a liter box too.  I washed them a few times but I am still finding bits of dried urine deep inside some bricks years later.  Always keep the lids on and be wary of buying used LEGO.  :laugh:

Ahhh, lovely. :laugh:

We used to have hamsters (one at a time); they lived on the same low table that the LEGO creations and small street scene did.  I still occasionally find dried hamster droppings, food crumbs or sawdust, especially at the bottom of tubs where they've sunk after years of sifting. I presume it was gathered when I swept a pile of parts off the table into a tub, and collected some other debris as well.

Hamsters are devilish little escapologists though; one morning we discovered one had got out. Luckily we found her not to far away, with stuffed cheeks. My first thought was that she'd tried to eat some parts, but no, she was smarter than that; she had only found the food storage tub! Another escapee clearly tried to eat the rubber parts; several now bear testament to his teeth. 

Natsu sadly passed away, not sure when, but this morning, he was cold to the touch... I'll miss you buddy.

Edited by Steamdemon