Edwin Korstanje

MOC/WIP Fairplay IX en XI TUGBOAT in scale 1/60

For a new client in Hamburg, Germany i started today a new project and is a Hybrid harbour tug and is 30 meter long and 13,5 meter wide and the scale will be around the 1/60

Here are the first pictures of the brickbuild Azimuth trusters and propellers.

39698555192_34714f5352_c.jpgIMG_7136 by VFracingteam, on Flickr

39729768241_f5ffc4db51_c.jpgIMG_7137 by VFracingteam, on Flickr

39729759791_8f7a27e127_c.jpgIMG_7139 by VFracingteam, on Flickr

39020501254_11f1329cb8_c.jpgIMG_7132 by VFracingteam, on Flickr

Ships are not my favourite subject to be honest. But I always enjoy following the progress on your amazing models. Hopefully you will encourage more builders to share their work here. The scale model forum definitely needs and deserves much more action. Thanks for sharing.

6 hours ago, legophisto said:

Ships are not my favourite subject to be honest. But I always enjoy following the progress on your amazing models. Hopefully you will encourage more builders to share their work here. The scale model forum definitely needs and deserves much more action. Thanks for sharing.

I am complete agree with you @legophisto and this special scaled forum topic is almost complete dead.:cry_sad:

Still i hope this forum can be for us scaled modellers a good forum  for posting our models( but almost at a tired stage).

For me at this stage as a for the last couple of years it's does not matter to post here at EB, but as you know i Always give a insight WIP tour, how i build ship's and gives me some fun when i got some reactions and make some other builders better.

So , mayby this will be my last post here and can you seen and hope this not my last post ore update here( hope that Jim ore Milan and any Modderators to give some reaction in a PB.)

Here the last update on the Fairplay tugboat.

This afternoon and evening, made a lot of progress on the tug for Hamburg. Because of the strange hull and the extreme large keel's, i have chosen for a modern standard on real chromed Lego 2x2 round briks and not a classical standard. The new tugs from the last two years are so strange that they Always tuging backwards and the bow is now the stern and the stern is the bow. The hull is build studds out(SNOT) and the superstructure will be a combination from studd up and studd out.

25101776657_8af9958ab9_c.jpgIMG_7155 by VFracingteam, on Flickr

28192614939_8b964cfa75_c.jpgIMG_7153 by VFracingteam, on Flickr

I'm complete hapy that i find today the solution to bring all the snot (studs not on top) parts together. It was a big puzzle and rebuild it many times. This crazy tug have two bow's, that i can now almost duplicate the other side on the anchor holes left. I hope that this tug is on time ready for the deadline next month.1f61c.png

40046686032_31bd441532_c.jpgIMG_7170 by VFracingteam, on Flickr

39368946114_5edc73474c_c.jpgIMG_7168 by VFracingteam, on Flickr

There is something calming and satisfying whenever i see such a nice curves and shapes done in bricks/plates/slopes...nice, Edwin!

10 hours ago, Milan said:

There is something calming and satisfying whenever i see such a nice curves and shapes done in bricks/plates/slopes...nice, Edwin!

Thanks @Milan for the kind words, but the as you know the Scale modeling is almost dead. You are now the 4 people to give some reply on this topic. I know that te the scale modeling forum gives much less reactions as the technic, model team and mindstorms forum, but split the scaled models in a separate forum is not working for me at this stage. Give me please you ore Jim how we can make the scale modeling forum better.:wink::thumbup:

Some update, but it's was a frustation one.

Unfortunately i have make a small calculation mistake with the build on the tug for Fairplay Germany. The underwaterhull was two studds to low and for that reason also two studs to narrow in wide. so i have brake down almost the complete shiphull to get the right scaled dimensions. It cost me 3 days to fix the problems, but got it right now, but only the inner struction, looks now a little bid messy. Lucky for me that when it's all closed, nowbody see it ever again. Also started with the first details on the working deck.

IMG_7194

IMG_7192

IMG_7188

19 hours ago, supertechnicman said:

Very nice scale model.  I am impressed by your very realistic hull and "snot" technique.  Keep up the great work!

Thanks @supertechnicman and curious about your QM2 in bricks and your photo's where not visible today on your update in your topic.:wink:

Today i was hoped that some big order come in from Bricklink, but i have to wait to tomorow i think. Still i have enough parts in stock to go on and this part i like the most to a build with all the details. So today i made the big two full independent roll winch and only have to build the brakes on it. This winch can in real on the Fairplay IX and XI a average bollard pull of 90 tons, but in real a lot more.

39352153735_7f6b9b2ba0_c.jpgIMG_7204 by VFracingteam, on Flickr

40249911221_80391b2f96_c.jpgIMG_7205 by VFracingteam, on Flickr

3 hours ago, Edwin Korstanje said:

Thanks @supertechnicman and curious about your QM2 in bricks and your photo's where not visible today on your update in your topic.:wink:

I used google photos to link my pictures. Hopefully I did it right. The pictures show up for me when I look at the post. 

outstanding work as always,i just love to see your progress on shipbuilding,just a thought as your way superior to my building but the black fender running fore and aft would look better the same height as the topmost stern fender more in keeping with the deck line,

if that makes sense to you.the shape of the deck rising up as you go forward makes for a very hard process ,your pics showing the techniques used are most helpful,i hope to improve my building studying yours

cheers Jim

1 hour ago, jim7564 said:

The black fender running fore and aft would look better the same height as the topmost stern fender more in keeping with the deck line

cheers Jim

Many thanks @jim7564 for your comment and you have complete right and i have change it. That's one off the reasons why i also post WIP stages, that comments like yours makes me also better.:wink::thumbup:

40322937811_3644a8675a_c.jpgIMG_7240 by VFracingteam, on Flickr

Edited by Edwin Korstanje

much better,your building is just amazing,everytime i study your builds and Konajara i learn something.have yet to attempt a build with that kind of hull rendering,mostly modular style (USS Missouri/R Y Britannia) but i,m getting there.

thanks for showing the builds

On ‎17‎-‎2‎-‎2018 at 10:37 PM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Very nice boat ...impressive building technique! :wub:

Many thanks @LEGO Train 12 Volts and try with each new build to get the bar a little higher.

todays progress.

Make some small changes on the black fender and follow the shipline now better, also made the brakes on the big winches. Started build the superstructure and the first details are there with lights, the bow's deck with the anchor winches are made to and try now the best possion of them with the anchor chains.

26494721878_1c06a46e85_c.jpgIMG_7272 by VFracingteam, on Flickr

40365995811_71277f4b25_c.jpgIMG_7269 by VFracingteam, on Flickr

25494022077_d5cb4dbaa6_c.jpgIMG_7270 by VFracingteam, on Flickr

40366037821_3eaaa13dde_c.jpgIMG_7275 by VFracingteam, on Flickr

On 11-2-2018 at 10:07 PM, Edwin Korstanje said:

Thanks @Milan for the kind words, but the as you know the Scale modeling is almost dead. You are now the 4 people to give some reply on this topic. I know that te the scale modeling forum gives much less reactions as the technic, model team and mindstorms forum, but split the scaled models in a separate forum is not working for me at this stage.

I'm not always replying, because I don't know what to add... You're building techniques are so detailed that it just blows my simple mind. *huh*

How do you keep up with the available parts? I often browse through the LDD library to see what's available, but with just Technic parts I can barely keep up, let alone all the System parts...

Great model as always in any case, keep it up :thumbup: