Lasse

[MOC] Østerlars Church

Østerlars Rundkirke is a church on the island of Bornholm in Denmark. The church was built around year 1160 and it is the largest of the four round churches on Bornholm:

38483491591_0dce104084_c.jpg

38451942472_63b6196c48_c.jpg
38451940652_c86d6a69c1_c.jpg

38427641236_6620a48c09_c.jpg

37768509814_a19f86613b_c.jpg

38483466371_4e4b316e4a_c.jpg

One theory says that the Østerlars Church was built by the Knights Templar:

38483461491_8166dfa199_c.jpg

At the cemetery I placed some fun texts on the gravestones: 

38483456811_f18334d867_c.jpg

37768487644_6aae85215e_c.jpg

525px-Oesterlars_Kirke_Bornholm_Denmark.

Link to my flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/66344850@N06/albums/72157666475969449

Edited by Lasse

I love the gravestone epitaphs, The Wooden Duck, Fabuland flowers on it's grave, Pink flowers on Belville's,  how the Sand Red's grave soil is in that colour, and Jack Stone's has withered flowers, as if no one cares about it... XD

Edited by Eggyslav

Wow, a great build, and apparently very close to the historical example. Getting all those round shapes right, plus the roofs to match, must have been a serious challenge. Well done!

I love the bits of humour added, and the nods to past Lego themes. Clever!

Will this model be part of an exhibition, or be shown in the actual church? It would definitely deserve it. :thumbup:

Edited by Drunknok
Fixing typos.

Very nice church Lasse (again)! Haha not a lot of people mourning Jack Stone?! Another family build or?

Really great job capturing the building itself, especially with all those rounded sections.  And that graveyard is just delightful!  :laugh:  Well done!

Wonderful recreation of an awkwardly shaped building - getting those curved rooves together is quite the accomplishment! The fact that there's no visible gaps shows the incredible attention to detail. I do however think the cone on top needs one plate under it just to lift it into line with the rest of the roof. The copious amount of gardens around the building give it a lot of life too. Great job!

Oh, and the compulsory "Bring back sand red!" Especially a shame since the gravel around the tombstones looks *exactly* like sand red in the photo.

*Quick Google search*

According to my expert opinion on foreign architecture, it appears you NAILED IT! No really, this looks fantastic!

I also throw in my compliment on the humorous headstones. That made me chuckle. But only a little because I do not miss those themes. 

MAC

What, no grave site for Galidor?!?All kidding aside, this is a wonderful creation - very true to the original church, and all that cylindrical building - beautiful! 

(deepens voice) "Impressive. Most impressive."

To me, anything round built with lego is both hard to do and when done right, really impressive! This is one of my new favorite models, great work on getting the round shape perfect!