Sign in to follow this  
Norro

The Big Piratical 5!

I've been curious what people consider the best of pirate... I though if we each named 5 (with a few reasons) we would see which could hold the title of popular consent...

Without further ado... further ado... here are mine (no particular order):

-6267 Lagoon Lock-up

It is great, affordable, playable, has 5 figs, and nice parts...

-6276 Eldorado Fortress

Tons of figs, a nice (secure) fort, and some lovely building details

-6286 Black Skull

Does this really need any justification???

-6273 Rock Island Refuge

Just Fun...

-6260 Shipwreck Island

A great 'starter' pack full of goodies!

So what would you add (or subtract) from my perfect list?!

God Bless,

Nathan

I will be very dissapointed if this does not receive an instant reply from Mr. Phes...

glancing at the bottom of the homepage I can now confirm Mr Phes is online... :-D

God Bless,

Nathan

Unbelievable, a Pirate thread NOT started by Phes :D Where is the world going to???? I'll let you ponder of this ;)

Unbelievable, a Pirate thread NOT started by Phes :D Where is the world going to???? I'll let you ponder of this ;)

I am surprised as well.... :-D

God Bless,

Nathan

I need time to think about this. This isn't a topic to be taken lightly. Much consideration will I give it.

I need time to think about this.  This isn't a topic to be taken lightly.  Much consideration will I give it.

Any thoughts yet... I just had to have two pirate threads by me at the top of the forum to force Mr. Phes on...

God Bless,

Nathan

-6260 Shipwreck Island

I had a fascination with this set once upon a time. I wanted it very badly. Then I got it and didn't like it as much. It didn't seem good value for its price. As I recall it was over A$25 to buy which is quite expensive for a mere 69 pieces.

However 6270 Forbidden Island is bigger with a better assortment of pieces. So dare I say we jettison 6260 in favour of this one?

-6260 Shipwreck Island

I had a fascination with this set once upon a time. I wanted it very badly. Then I got it and didn't like it as much. It didn't seem good value for its price. As I recall it was over A$25 to buy which is quite expensive for a mere 69 pieces.

However 6270 Forbidden Island is bigger with a better assortment of pieces. So dare I say we jettison 6260 in favour of this one?

With Rock Island Refuge that is a little heavy on the large pirate bases... 6260 only cost about 7 something us if I recall correctly and I bought a used one a while ago for $12...

What are your 5?

God Bless,

Nathan

I'm struggling here Mr Norro! I don't know what to put in the top 5. You should have made it top 10. That would be much easier!

*devil* I agree with Mr_Phes on the better Forbidden Island.

However I can't understand how you can place Skull's Eye Schooner before the Black Seas Barracuda ...

Difficult to debate quickly in english, not enough vocabulary but I'll find it.

I like all boats ... My top 5 will be 5 boats :D (or almost)

I'll edit this later *devil*

The Skull's Eye Schooner and the Black Seas Baracuda are #1 and #2 (in whatever order anyone wants).

Eldorado #3.

After what..... w/e. Personally I liked the Islander sets for their freaky canoes and Minifigs.

Just having recently started getting some Pirates sets my list looks like this:

1. SES

Great ship, first place because it's a ship and it's BIG

2. BSB

Very close behind, looks great, second only because it's a bit smaller

3. Eldorado Fortress and Imperial Trading Post

I can't decide between those two, I just like both of 'em. In favor of ITP is that it comes with a small sailing ship. There's great detail and lots of minifigs in both.

5. Sabre Island

Got two, makes a nice little stand-alone set, lots of accessories for its size

I own all of the above but BSB (which I probably won't pursue cos I don't have enuff space) and don't know any other sets excpet from pictures. And, of course, I'm just a Pirate-greenhorn ;)

Hobbes, are you saying that you can't decide in what order out of position 3 & 4 you'd put Eldorado Fortress and Imperial Trading Post? Or are you saying both are contenders for the 3rd position, if so then your 4th position is vacant!

As for the BSB vs SES... I don't feel the need to have both ships in my top 5. Either will suffice but I prefer the SES over the BSB. Also maybe I'm bias because I have built a SES and my BSB's still remains in their boxes.

Eldorado Fortress and Imperial Trading Post are both on 3rd place. I left out 4th place because if there's a tie usually the next place to the tie is left out. I've seen this on official sports rankings so I used it, too :)

As for BSB and SES: i like ships and both are great looking so I put them there. And because I don't know any other sets "in reality" I only ranked these five.

But as I said, it's a greenhorn-ranking ;)

It'll never be resolved. To me both are in 3rd place. Hence there is no 4th place in my list. Sorry that I can't be more specific *satis*

Because I haven't seen any other sets than these 5 (I don't own a BSB but I've seen one "in reality" and know what it looks like) and didn't want to presume to judge by pictures (is that english?)...

Its English as far as I can tell...

Well Hobbes old chap, there is only one thing for you to do and that is: GET MORE PIRATE LEGO... FAST!!!

I've seen this on official sports rankings so I used it, too :)

Apart fromthe SES at #1 I think ranking would be impossible so I was just asking for a top 5 in no particular order... Though taking it forward is great!

God Bless,

Nathan

5. Sabre Island

Got two, makes a nice little stand-alone set, lots of accessories for its size

Great addittion! This would be my #6...

God Bless,

Nathan

However I can't understand how you can place Skull's Eye Schooner before the Black Seas Barracuda ...

Difficult to debate quickly in english, not enough vocabulary but I'll find it.

I like all boats ... My top 5 will be 5 boats :D (or almost)

I like the SES more for its cannons, colour scheme, the way the cabin opens, and the row boat attachment...

I am not such a big fan of the ships though...

Sorry about the English.... Irish is so much better ;)

God Bless,

Nathan

6235-1.jpg

1. 6235 Buried Treasure

Small and simple... But this was the very set that trigger my Pirate obsession... The Pirate exhuming the treasure chest on small island... Small yellow plates represent freshly dug sand and there's a rocky out crop with a plant growing out of it. A monkey clings from the side of the chest. There was an aduntance of accessories. I.e. The flag, coins, harquebus, cutlass. This right combination of elements made my imagation run wild... At the time it just seemed so perfect and since it was only about 3 bucks so I couldn't resist...

2. 6286 Skulls Eye Schooner

Personally I think this is better than the Black Seas Barracuda because I like its colour scheme better.

3. 6276 Eldorado Fortress

A good solid fortress. The Soldier equivelant of Rock Island Refuge.

4. 6267 Lagoon Lock-Up

This used to be my favourite set when I discovered slightly larger Pirate sets. My cousen had one so I played with it at his place for hours... At the time it seemed like it had everything! A cannon with cannon balls... A palm tree... A parrot... Yellow goblets... Pirates with a masted boat... And 5 mini-figures... Then my granny got me one for Christmas... That was the best Christmas ever...

5. 6273 Rock Island Refuge

In my opinion this is the best Pirate Fortess. The arrangement of the structures and use of palm leaves make this design seem very dense and fortified.

Ok, that's todays top 5. No doubt I'll have changed my mind in the next 24 hours...

Ahh well chosen... except 6235 sticks out a little... Though firsts are important...

God Bless,

Nathan